Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
anjelika
anjelika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Best way to convert PDF with images?

Hi,
I am a owner of the Sony PRS505 eReader and find it very good.
Tho, I am a programmer and read mostly programming books (mostly PDF).
I've read here that PDF is not the recommended support for PRS505 (many images does not show up in reader, etc).
I was using Calibre to convert the PDF to native Sony format (LRF) but still many images are not displayed and the book format (alignment, etc) is lost (I got white spaces where there aren't any, etc...). I am not using any specific settings with Calibre.
Is there a recommandation for converting these technical (mostly with photos, schemes) to a better format for Sony PRS 505?
I also looked into the uploaded book but couldn't find any about programming, any recommandation into this also?
Thanks for your time.
anjelika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
PDF with images won't convert very well. Sometimes dreadfully. The best idea is not to bother.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
anjelika

Thanks for the answer even is not the one I was hoping for
Old 08-17-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I've found the best solution is to convert the PDF pages to landscape images split over two Sony screens; I've converted a number of Cisco study books that way (rich in images and complex charts).

I've previously used pdflrf which appears to have been removed due to GPL conflict (although I have seen it on certain p2p networks). Then there was pdfrasterfarian which has also been removed.

Perhaps lrftools will do what you want.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #5
anjelika

Thanks for the info!
Advert