Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I spent most of yesterday at Busch Gardens and only found the sun fading problem when the sun was shining directly on the screen.
Hey, that's right down the road from me. But, you were at Bush Gardens and you were reading a book?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Wrong Busch Gardens, I was in Williamsburg. Some of the rides I don't care to ride more than once so I read while the kids (15yo and 11yo) rode them over and over. Fortunately, BG in Williamsburg has tons of shade so waiting was nice.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Wrong Busch Gardens, I was in Williamsburg. Some of the rides I don't care to ride more than once so I read while the kids (15yo and 11yo) rode them over and over. Fortunately, BG in Williamsburg has tons of shade so waiting was nice.
Is the Loch Ness monster ride still there? Loved that one. I remember that being a very shady park. Very nice.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just returned from vacation and my K2 has the sun fading issue. I spent most of yesterday at Busch Gardens and only found the sun fading problem when the sun was shining directly on the screen. Since I tend to stick to the shade this didn't start until later in the afternoon when the sun angle was lower. The page itself didn't fade, fading only happened when I turned the page. A quick Alt-G returned the screen to full contrast. If my head partially blocked the Kindle during a page turn only the part of the screen directly in the sun was faded. Hitting Alt-G fixed the contrast problem.

Haven't decided whether to return it since I rarely read in direct sunlight and Alt-G fixes the problem for that page.
I've not noticed a sun fade on my 505. But if we get any decent sun this weekend, I'll make sure to give it a go in the sun to double check. I'm curious if it might be new Vizplex vs. older Vizplex that could be at the heart of the matter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #20
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Oh yeah, the Loch Ness Monster is still there, an oldie but a goodie. I should have reread Salem's Lot by Stephen King while I was there in memory of when I worked at BG back in the 70's. The ride that I worked, the Glissade which is no longer there, had a control room and everyone on my shift would read the book when we rotated through. There were around 5 or 6 bookmarks in it.

Jon, if you test out your Sony be sure to have the sun shine directly on the screen. Sun shining over my shoulder was when I noticed the fading. If I still had my K1 I'd try it with that.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I had a 500, the screen would fade in direct sunlight. The screen used on the 500 was the 1st generation eink screen and not Vizplex.

I was able to have my 505 out in direct sunlight yesterday since the rain and overcast weather seems to have stopped for now. Anyway, the fading did not occur. I had it in direct sunlight for about 15 minutes just to test and all was well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

I had to exchange two K2's to get rid of the fading problem. My Sony PRS-505 does not have a screen fade issue. But Sony seems to have much better quality control than Amazon. Sony also has the better construction of the two. It is more solidly built with metal as opposed to the cheap plastic case of the K2. But both are about equal in screen quality. I wish some company would combine the construction quality of the 505 with the functionality of the K2 and give it the firmware necessary to read the libraries available to both. But that is just a dream...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #23
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
My Kindle 2 had the same issue so you aren't alone. I passed it along to a relative when I upgraded recently, and luckily for them, they only read inside.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
That issue was a grandaddy of all K2s. Can't believe how many had that and how many exchanges were made.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote