Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #1
soulfulms
soulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametersoulfulms can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Fire (1st gen)
I'm Just a Newbie...hi everyone

glad to meet all of you...I have a KF and have books that I want to transfer to my Dell Netbook...It was suggested that Calibre works well and I did download to my netbook...can someone please explain...step by step how to transfer my books to the Netbook...I have to warn you...I am so not tech savvy...it's frightening...I'm an RN...I know about blood and injections, wounds and dressings...please understand...I can type, but when it comes to folders and anything that sounds the least bit techy it takes me weeks to figure it out...I hope you get the picture...it's scary isn't it...

I have only amazon purchased books on my KF...most were cheap...some were free and others were ones I really wanted...I would like to save these books in case the KF goes belly-up and also use my netbook more...

so, please if you have the time and patience I would like a step by step way to do this...when people start talking about converting to mobi and all this kinda stuff I break out in a cold sweat and hyperventilating...

if you're willing...I only understand SIMPLE...and if you should ever come to my hospital I would make sure you are the first in line for your tetanus shot should you need one and hope you don't...
soulfulms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The easiest way to do it is to install "Kindle for PC" on your computer, and download the books in that. The books will then appear in the folder "My Documents\My Kindle Content" on your PC. You can then drag and drop them from there into Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also, chances are your books will have Digital Rights Management. DRM is basically a lock on the book that means it can only be read on an ereader that has the right "key".

This "key" is different for each e-ink reader, tablet, or desktop program you use, so you can't even copy a book from "Kindle for PC" onto a Kindle Fire, unless you unlock the book, so...

In order to properly back up your books so that they can be read elsewhere, you will probably want to google "apprentice alf" and follow the directions you get there; unfortunately, it is against mobileread.com policy to give detailed instructions here. Good luck!

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-20-2014 at 08:31 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
If all you want is to be sure you can still get your books back in case your Fire dies, you don't have to worry. Amazon saves every book you buy. If you delete one, or need to get your Kindle fixed or replaced, on your computer, you just go to Amazon, click on Manage Your Kindle, and you will see a lisst of every book you bought, or even got free.

You can reload any book, or even all of them.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
If all you want is to be sure you can still get your books back in case your Fire dies, you don't have to worry. Amazon saves every book you buy. If you delete one, or need to get your Kindle fixed or replaced, on your computer, you just go to Amazon, click on Manage Your Kindle, and you will see a lisst of every book you bought, or even got free.

You can reload any book, or even all of them.
It's very unwise to assume that any bookstore - even Amazon - will keep all your books safe for you forever. Your books aren't safe unless you personally back them up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Amen to that
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Backup your books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's very unwise to assume that any bookstore - even Amazon - will keep all your books safe for you forever. Your books aren't safe unless you personally back them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Amen to that

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote