Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #916
sk2003
Enthusiast
sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I brought a brand new USB charger from PrimeCables for my grandma's Kobo Aura HD (on latest firmware) thinking that it'd solve the "Connect to Computer" issue I had with the Apple charger. It didn't fix the problem! Arrgh, Kobo, why do you do this?

Now my 80-year-old grandma's gonna be super confused every time she plugs her Kobo in for charging. She'll forget to press the Cancel button when the Connect dialogue appears and will inevitably complain about it to me. :/ Seriously Kobo... this is a stupid issue that should never happen.

This is the one I bought: https://www.primecables.com/p-306833...hite#sku306833

Last edited by sk2003; 07-05-2017 at 09:54 PM.
sk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #917
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk2003 View Post
I brought a brand new USB charger from PrimeCables for my grandma's Kobo Aura HD (on latest firmware) thinking that it'd solve the "Connect to Computer" issue I had with the Apple charger. It didn't fix the problem! Arrgh, Kobo, why do you do this?
The problem is not Kobo. The problem is the charger. The charger is the one telling the device that it is to be treated as a computer.
Quote:
Now my 80-year-old grandma's gonna be super confused every time she plugs her Kobo in for charging. She'll forget to press the Cancel button when the Connect dialogue appears and will inevitably complain about it to me. :/ Seriously Kobo... this is a stupid issue that should never happen.
She doesn't need to do anything. If she doesn't tap a button, the device will just sit there charging. If she does tap the connect button, it shouldn't harm. While the device will go to a connected mode, the charger won't try and do anything, so unplugging it will be OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #918
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can also find charge only USB cables.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #919
sk2003
Enthusiast
sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem is not Kobo. The problem is the charger. The charger is the one telling the device that it is to be treated as a computer.
Then why doesn't it happened with my H2O still on firmware 3.19? I can charge it with the Apple and the PrimeCable USB wall adapters just fine without that computer dialogue popping up. I'm lost. I guess I'll try a Samsung charger next.

The only USB charger that hasn't caused the pop up to appear has been my USB hub. But I'm using it for other devices, like my H2O, phone, and iPod.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #920
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then why doesn't it happened with my H2O still on firmware 3.19? I can charge it with the Apple and the PrimeCable USB wall adapters just fine without that computer dialogue popping up. I'm lost. I guess I'll try a Samsung charger next.

The only USB charger that hasn't caused the pop up to appear has been my USB hub. But I'm using it for other devices, like my H2O, phone, and iPod.
I have absolutely no idea. The prompt was displayed for my Aura H2O on all firmware versions for most of the chargers in my house. And it happens for all my Kobo devices for all the firmware versions that prompt (some really old ones just connected).

Why does it matter? It doesn't hurt anything. Just ignore it, or tap the cancel button. Maybe Kobo could put something in to detect non-PC connections. But, I bet we would then be flooded with questions about why the device didn't detect someones PC. Odds are the real issue is that the different things are out of spec and Kobo are being cautious and making sure that they always detect the PC and hence get some false positives.
Advert
Old 07-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #921
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've used an IKEA USB charger with my H2O and. No prompt.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/l...-art-20291890/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #922
sk2003
Enthusiast

I fixed the issue by swapping the charger for a generic one--the dollar store one my mom used to charge her phone. Whew. Still surprising that this is even an issue. ��
Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #923
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I fixed the issue by swapping the charger for a generic one--the dollar store one my mom used to charge her phone. Whew. Still surprising that this is even an issue. ��
You have to be very careful with generic chargers. Way too many of them can catch fire.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #924
sk2003
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have to be very careful with generic chargers. Way too many of them can catch fire.
My mom's been using it with her phone for the past year without issue. She bought it from Wal-Mart, I think. I'm not worried.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:05 AM   #925
sb1370
Enthusiast
sb1370 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Whenever I tap anywhere to hide the word definition dialogue box, the screen refreshes twice. This is really annoying if you have to lookup many words during reading.
sb1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #926
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1370 View Post
Whenever I tap anywhere to hide the word definition dialogue box, the screen refreshes twice. This is really annoying if you have to lookup many words during reading.
That's a known problem with the 4.5.9587 firmware. Kobo know about it and it will probably fixed in the next release.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #927
Gabe81
Gabe81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hello everyone,

My Kobo Aura was not online for a few months, no syncing and I used it without issues. A few days ago I logged in to my wifi network, and the device got the new firmware OTA.
Since then, I am facing the following issues:
The device starts, and when I select a book to read, it gets frozen. A few seconds later the backlight goes off, and it reboots, and the loop starts again. 9 out of 10 times it happens.
Any suggestion would be welcome, how to fix this!
Thanks,
Gabe
Gabe81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #928
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe81 View Post
My Kobo Aura was not online for a few months, no syncing and I used it without issues. A few days ago I logged in to my wifi network, and the device got the new firmware OTA.
Since then, I am facing the following issues:
The device starts, and when I select a book to read, it gets frozen. A few seconds later the backlight goes off, and it reboots, and the loop starts again. 9 out of 10 times it happens.
Any suggestion would be welcome, how to fix this!
The times I have seen this in recent firmware versions it has been caused by a specific books. They were all large kepubs with large ToCs. After the device restarted, the books opened with no problems. I haven't tried reproducing this with the 4.5.x firmware, so I don't if it has changed.

If opening the book after the reboot works, then it probably is a sickel reboot. This is when a process on the device is taking a long time and the device appears to be hung. Sickel is a watchdog that restarts the device in these cases. There is a patch that extends the time before sickel interrupts. It might help.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #929
Gabe81

Thank you very much for your quick response! I think you are correct, I copied a few new books to the device (kepubs), probably that is the problem. I used the patch, now it is under testing, if it helped or not. I will let you know.
Have a great day!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #930
Gabe81

The issue I was experiencing, is definetely connected to the books I have on my reader.
I deleted all the books, and only copied back the ones that were on it before I started to see the problems. The device is now more stable. I just need to test each and ever book I have on it to see which of the books is causing the crash.
Thank you very much for the help!

Tags
pocket app