Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
dham340
Long Time Lurker
dham340 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Mobi kindle management

So, looking for some advice or discussion on what i am about to post.

I have 50 mobi ebooks that i got off the mobileread website (the entire harvard classics set). I was looking for the best way to get them into my kindle paperwhite and kindle fire hd. Ideally i would like syncing between the two plus annotations syncing.

My first try was just a simple side load into the books folder of both devices. No joy on the syncing part but the books opened up on both fine. Figuring there had to be a better way, after some google searches and reading, loaded the books into calibre and proceeded to alter all the Metadata (making sure the ebok tag was set and the aisn - amazon isbn? - set).

After getting all that done, went back and forth as to whether to side load them in the doc folder or to upload them as personal docs then sync from manage my kindle to both devices. I chose the latter.

End result: page syncing and annotation syncing working. Added bonus is that Amazon now has copies of the files in the Amazon cloud.

But i have some questions for some kind soul who knows. First what did i do that made it work? Was it the Metadata manipulation or was it the fact that Amazon converted files to azw when i sent them?

Moreover, I'm still a bit put out by the fact that they are in the documents and not the books folder. Especially noticeable on the kindle fire hd. The paperwhite seems to handle them no different than a book, but on the fire, noticeable that they are "docs" (seperate interface from books and no covers) .

It seems to me that given what i want, going the "send to kindle documents" route vice side loading into the books folder is a better result for syncing and cloud storage but I'm not sure. Anyone have any opinions on this?

All of that said, i still would like it if my annotations from these files stored up on the kindle.Amazon.com site, but from what i have read that's only for books purchased from Amazon. If this isn't true, please tell me how to make it happen

Although i haven't tried it yet, i am assuming i can pull the clippings file of the kindle paperwhite via usb and manipulate it as i wish (also seems to be true that the fire hd does not have a clippings.txt file - what's up with that? ). I'd like to use clippings notes and highlights in word docs and on web site i have so that's the reason for this question.

All in all kind of a roundabout way to get most of what i want done. Amazon really needs to streamline this a bit. If anyone has got a better way or suggestions on this whole process, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for any and all comments.
dham340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
<this edit will teach me to read the whole post first>

Last edited by Ravensknight; 01-13-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: haste makes waste
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dham340 View Post
[snip]
But i have some questions for some kind soul who knows. First what did i do that made it work? Was it the Metadata manipulation or was it the fact that Amazon converted files to azw when i sent them?
For the syncing part your metadata fix was sufficient. Specifically assigning an asin to the books. Those don't have to be real asins, but they need to be distinct from one to another book. When faking asins try to have them not accidentally be the same as a real one - not starting them with B00 should be enough. If they sync last page read they should also sync the annotations, even if the books are not in the cloud. Only uploading them to the cloud alone will not let you sync it across devices. I remember having books in the cloud that have no asin, they say they sync, but it does not store the data on Amazon server. You should be able to delete the book from the Fire and load it again by sticking in the books folder via sideloading. Try it and see if you get your annotations / bookmarks / last page read for it by syncing.
Quote:
Moreover, I'm still a bit put out by the fact that they are in the documents and not the books folder. Especially noticeable on the kindle fire hd. The paperwhite seems to handle them no different than a book, but on the fire, noticeable that they are "docs" (seperate interface from books and no covers) .
Sideloading even when they are in the cloud might help. There is problems with covers not showing if the covers are not the right size - and not only on the Fire, but on PW as well, possibly KT with new 5.3.2 as well. Dig a little around - there is a lot of threads about covers not showing up. As I don't use cover view this is not an issue for me, so I don't have any thread I could link you to.

Quote:
It seems to me that given what i want, going the "send to kindle documents" route vice side loading into the books folder is a better result for syncing and cloud storage but I'm not sure. Anyone have any opinions on this?
I think the whole cloud storing of books can be skipped and still have annotations backed up to Amazon. But then, I do not sync across multiple devices and I am not planning on playing around with that.

Rest of the post I am a bit clueless on how to answer that correctly.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
dham340
Long Time Lurker
dham340 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks duckie.

the bit about aisn i got from a thread on mobile read although it did take me a bit of playing around in calibre to get them. for those who are curious: most of the Harvard classics had aisn in their metadata when i got them but for the missing ones, i used calibre metadata search function . i found that if search did not return an aisn, then i would look to see if a result returned an isbn . once i had an isbn if i then did another search one of the results almost always came back with an aisn .

Last edited by dham340; 01-13-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo
dham340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clippings, kindle, mobi