Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
iBook like reader on Linux

Does any one know if there is a reader, that will work on Linux, that mimics the iBook reader on an iPad. I am particularly concerned about fonts rendering correctly. For example, if select a script font that shows as script on my iPad I'd like to see it in this reader as script? I've tried Calibre, Sigil, and Firefox.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre works fine for me, esp. with the book mode in the latest version. Fonts have to be present in the system, they don't come with the reader software, that's pretty much it.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
dicknskip
Zealot

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. In my css I have a "font-family:cursive;" statement. This works great on the iPad, but shows up somewhat odd in Calibre. Is my css statement wrong? I was trying to use the native iPad fonts to save carting a font around in the ePub.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

font-family cursive does not really specify any font in particular, the system may just pick any font which claims to be somewhat cursive. it depends on the fonts you have installed

for example on windows the most common cursive font is comic sans ms - do you really want to read with that? :-O
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
dicknskip
Zealot

OK - after much searching I found the list of fonts currently used in iPad/iBooks. I got the real font file for the "cursive" font. However, I found that the actual font name and the one that Apple uses are different. Thus, it either works well on Linux or works well on the iPad, but not both. I've been searching for hours to try and find a way to create an alias name for the actual font on Linux. Thus I could use the name Apple picked, and I need to have in my css file, as an alias to the actual font name. I'm on Kubuntu kept current. Is there a simple way to make "X", the Apple name, equal to "X Script", the actual file name?
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
dicknskip
Zealot

SOLVED

Well, after some deep thinking I finally realized/remembered I can reference both family names in the font-family: statement. That appears to work fine now.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
kiaracaughfield
kiaracaughfield began at the beginning.

I am also having the same doubt...Thanks for asking this question and I hope I'll get the answer to my queries here.....
kiaracaughfield is offline   Reply With Quote