Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #46
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Theodora Goss
Angela Slatter
Margo Lanagan
Mary Robinette Kowal
Kij Johnson
Jeffrey Ford
Paul Tremblay
Joe Hill
Peter S. Beagle
Zoran Zivkovic
Dean Francis Alfar
Anna Tambour
Aimee Bender
Kelly Link
Elizabeth Hand
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #47
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipreads View Post
Theodora Goss
Angela Slatter
Margo Lanagan
Mary Robinette Kowal
Kij Johnson
Jeffrey Ford
Paul Tremblay
Joe Hill
Peter S. Beagle
Zoran Zivkovic
Dean Francis Alfar
Anna Tambour
Aimee Bender
Kelly Link
Elizabeth Hand
I'd like to give you an award - The First List In Which I have Never Heard Of a Single Author! (says much more about me than you, I know...).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #48
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'd like to give you an award - The First List In Which I have Never Heard Of a Single Author! (says much more about me than you, I know...).
That makes me feel better about having ever heard of only three of them, and having read only one--Peter S. Beagle.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #49
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow....some great lists.

Some of mine that immediately come to mind.

C.S. Lewis
Tolkein
Ayn Rand
Ray Bradbury
Terry Brooks
Raymond Feist
Robert Heinlein
Octavia Butler
Graham Masterson
Douglas Adams
Arthur C. Clarke
Mary Stewart
Jack London
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
John Steinbeck

Last edited by kingtermite; 02-18-2012 at 05:01 PM.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #50
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Tim Winton
Haruki Murakami
Toni Morrison
Charles Baxter
John Steinbeck
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #51
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Anne Perry
Lois McMasters Bujold
David Weber (Honor Harrington)
Naomi Novik
Gail Carriger
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Julia Spencer-Fleming
Dean Koontz (Odd Thomas)
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #52
kingtermite
KingTermite
kingtermite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
John Steinbeck
Thanks...forgot to add him to my list. I've read at least 4 or 5 of his and loved every one.
kingtermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #53
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Patricia Highsmith
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #54
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Old deceased authors from when I was a kid:

Edgar Rice Burroughs: Tarzan, John Carter, Pellucidar, the Venus stories.

Walter B. Gibson: The Shadow, loved them as a kid.

Mark Twain

Shakespeare, I used to go to the library and listen to the records while following along the scripts. I think I was around 9 or 10 at the time. I loved the comedies, hey I'm a guy.

Jules Verne and H.G. Wells

In my teens, all of the big sci-fi writers:

Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, E.E."Doc" Smith, A.E.VanVogt although I never have figured out how to pronounce his name, and many others whose names have escaped me after all these years.

Older 'til now:

Stephen King, except when he get unendurably verbose, which unfortunately happens all too often.

Jack McDevitt, a worthy successor to Asimov, IMO of course.

Donald Westlake, the man can flat turn a phrase. His Dortmunder books are a gift to us all.

Robert B. Parker, I've read most of them many times strictly for the repartee of Parker with his friends...and enemies too.

Douglas Adams, his prose floats "in much the same way bricks don't." Wonderful.

H.P. Lovecraft and Robert Howard, everyone has to have a guilty pleasure.

Koontz until he just weirded out and got too religious. Loved "Lightning". Quit reading him about 15 years ago.

Lee Childs, although his first ones were great, the middle ones wordy, and his last couple back to close to great.

Neal Stephenson, way cool although his last one, "Reamde", was not up to his usual standards.

Walter Mosely, gotta love Easy Rawlins.

James Lee Burke, Dave Robicheaux even if he is such a head case.

John Sandford.

P.G. Wodehouse, can't forget Bertie and Jeeves, but I don't like his other books as well.

Stephen Hunter.

Bill Bryson

Louis L'Amour, another guilty pleasure. Bubble gum for the mind.

John Steinbeck.

Larry Niven.

And many more that were already mentioned many times, although there are lots of authors mentioned I've not heard of.

PS I almost forgot Christopher Moore. Great stuff, I mean who knew Jesus had a childhood buddy named Biff.

Last edited by HoopyFrood; 02-18-2012 at 05:44 PM.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #55
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Phillip K Dick
Andrew Vachss
Simon R. Green
William Gibson
Robert E. Howard
Michael Chrichton
and, I'll be the one who admits it...Laurell K. Hamilton. May God have mercy on my soul.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F View Post
and, I'll be the one who admits it...Laurell K. Hamilton. May God have mercy on my soul.
Heh. I thought her Anita Blake books were pretty good...the true definition of "Guilty Pleasures". But oddly enough, I thought her writing improved tremendously when she started writing more "erotic" themed books, specifically the Meredith Gentry series.

In the Anita Blake series, her writing style was imaginative but inconsistent, with lazy character descriptions and trite plots. And in terms of erotic tones...she seemed to want Anita Blake to move into erotica, and, for better or for worse, that's where she eventually took the character.

But her writing in the Meredith Gentry series was more natural. Meredith Gentry is an erotic themed series to begin and seemed to flow better. I could feel that she was more at home in terms of themes and use of language when describing sex and desire. I always thought she was an erotic writer at heart and that's where I like her best.
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #57
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Science Fiction
Heinlein
Asimov
Weber
Flint

Romance
Jayne Ann Krentz
Nora Roberts
Pamela Morisi
Julia Quinn

Crime
MC Beaton
Lindsey Davis
Evanovich

Fantasy
Tolkein
Mary Stewart
Meyer
Rowling

History
David McCollough
William J. Bernstein
Shelby Foote
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #58
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
All Time Favorite = Tolkien

My favorite current author is Karl Schroeder based mostly on the strength of Lady of Mazes, but the Virga series is pretty cool.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #59
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
All Time Favorite = Tolkien

My favorite current author is Karl Schroeder based mostly on the strength of Lady of Mazes, but the Virga series is pretty cool.
True about Tolkien.

On my list I should add Dostoievski and Hugo. Classics.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #60
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That was my point new, modern authors in fantasy and science fiction... terrific writers but unknown to a lot of people because they stick to SF/F published half a century ago
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote