Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #31
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Thank you Rizla.
I haven't searched more for failures on the 650 yet, so I'll definitely have a look. I can't put PRS+ on my reader so I'm stuck with the on/off button, but so far so good. Anyway, I'll try to be gentle with it
(EDIT: mine will be 14 months in less than two weeks )

Last edited by samhy; 01-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #32
Mochina
Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.Mochina considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxie View Post
My Kindle 3G just gave up the ghost after two years and I'm looking to replace it with something will last at least for 4-6 years. Some other things I would consider for buying an reader:
  1. E-ink Screen
  2. Responsiveness - how responsive is it, my Kindle can be quite unresponsive at times but bearable when it comes to indexing.
  3. Stability - does it crash? how often? I don't like the fact that my Kindle crashed at least once a month even when it was brand new.
  4. Book Organization - I hated Kindle's collections interface, I preferred organization by folders.
  5. PDF loading - nice to have but not necessary since I'm thinking of buying a tablet for this feature or just using my phone

Any recommendations?

EDIT: If anyone has a functioning e-reader above 2 years I'd definitely be interested to hear about it. I've been reading the forums for e-readers but I haven't seen anything about age of e-readers.
I am also looking for a more durable ereader, a device that will operate according to its user manual for more than 2 years. Stability (no freezing) and a quality battery are my main concerns. I use an ereader only for reading electronic books, but I read every day, usually for at least a couple of hours.

I have had 2 ereaders, a Sony PRS-350 and a Simple Nook. The Sony needed a new battery after 18 months, and the Nook has been great.but only for about 16 months. It's now constantly freezing, although according to the battery indicator, the battery charge is at least 70%, and despite re-setting, upgrading to the latest software release, re-charging, talking to tech support, the diagnosis is again that the battery needs to be replaced. I'm now looking for a new ereader, and would appreciate advice on the following:

1) For anyone who has had a reliable Simple Touch Nook for more than 2 years, have you had any issues with the battery? If yes, how have you dealth with them?

2) For those people who have had other Nook models that have been reliable for more than 2 years, what models do you have? Any issues with the battery?

3) I'm relucant to move to a Kindle since I will essentially losing mobile access to the books I have already purchased, but those of you who have had Kindles for more than 2 years, which models do you have? Any problems with the battery?

3) Does anyone know of a reputable ereader that allows the user to replace the battery at a reasonable cost?

Thanks, everyone!
Mochina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochina View Post
3) I'm relucant to move to a Kindle since I will essentially losing mobile access to the books I have already purchased, but those of you who have had Kindles for more than 2 years, which models do you have? Any problems with the battery?
I have had my Kindle Keyboard since June 2011. I am getting about 3 weeks of reading on a single charge. I keep wifi/3G off.

As for losing your library if you switch, converting from epub to AZW or Mobi is very easy using Calibre.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #34
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I'd buy a Kindle if I were you. It's a great device, and it's cheap, plus like the other posters said, Amazon does treat its customers very well if the Kindle breaks.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #35
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
It would be impossible for anyone to have already had a Nook ST for 2 years! I got it when it first came out, which was June 2011.

Anyway, it was perfect for the first year + several months when it started having freezing issues. I have the extended warrenty thankfully so i got it replaced. Then recently i got another replacement because of white lines on the screen, which was appatently due to a scratch. So I've already used the warranty twice and I have 4 months to go. I dont know what I'm going to do once the warranty runs out.

I love the nook touch but sometimes I am so frustrated with it. I love the form factor and how nice it is to hold and read on; I think the physical page turn buttons are awesome in addition to the touch screen. Physically, I absolutely love it I doubt there's any other reade out there that's so easy and nice to hold and read on.

I HATE: the incredibly cumbersome annoying folder organization. At least don't display all the stuff that's already been shelved (not in shelves but in alphabetical order!) when I'm making a new shelf. Drives me nuts.

Using the warranty, I was annoyed at having to call the number and ship my nook to the warehouse. I thought the actual B&N store i was standing in would handle all of that and give me a new nook right there but no dice.

Overall if Nook would just make the shelves a bit easier to set up I would be fine with buying nooks with warranties every 3 years or so.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #36
domani7
Enthusiast
domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.domani7 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: nook
And to clarify, I use the nook ST naked and I take it everywhere with me every day. Always within reach or in my bag. So: heavy use. I dropped my first nook ST many times and aside from some dents on the corners it was just fine.
domani7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #37
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've had my Sony prs 505 since the end of 2008; I've used it almost every day, and it's still going strong (touch wood!). It's had a battery replacement during that time and does occasionally do a 'restart' on me, but on the whole I've been happy with it.

However, I've heard that Sony's standards have slipped since the days of the 505 and I can't vouch for their latest ereaders. If I ever need to purchase a new ereader, Sony's will be the first range I'll investigate. Kindle will be the last.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #38
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ebook readers haven't really been around long enough to have a good idea about longevity. The Kindle 1 only came out five years ago.

How did the 3G die? Broken screen or dead electronics? I have a Kindle 2i still going that's about three years old, and a Sony 505 that's between 3-4 years old.

My dead ebook readers have all died from a broken screen. The only one I know that's currently available that should avoid this is the Wexler Flex One, but it's expensive and not widely available.
I carry kindles in small case with rubber inserts for cushion
must sit on or run vehicle over to damage screen

did drop a or k2 down shaft not retrievable

not do that again
now attach neck lanyard to
use sleeve or epoxy connector
not drop
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #39
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochina View Post
the Nook has been great.but only for about 16 months. It's now constantly freezing, although according to the battery indicator, the battery charge is at least 70%, and despite re-setting, upgrading to the latest software release, re-charging, talking to tech support, the diagnosis is again that the battery needs to be replaced.
Clean the gap at the border of the screen.
In this gap the infrared transmitters and receivers are located that detect touch. Dirt there (even just a hair) will prevent the touch screen from working correctly.
This is a common problem with the NST screen.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
na1pir
na1pir began at the beginning.

Device: wexler-flex-one, kindle3-wifi
I own 2 e-readers, 1. kindle 3 wifi only, broke and replace display (1 time) and then bought 2. e-reader device - wexler flex one.
First is good because of audio, battery life and dictionary, second because of 8gb -> huge space for eBooks, and multitude of different formats (pdf, mobi, epub,...) and flexibility ( durability ) of display. And don't forget its weight

Flex one has higher resolution, but there are more leftovers from last viewed page. Battery life is a lot worse then kindles(only 5-10 days)! But none e-reader can compete with flex one because of non-breakable screen, I sat on it and even sleep on it one time and still works
Price is more or less same after tax.
na1pir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My daughter is using my old Kindle 2 that was purchased in January 2010. It is still going strong.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #42
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
My Kindle 1 is still going strong. I think I got it in May 2009. So is my husband's Kindle 1, which is a few weeks newer than mine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote