Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
New Kindle 3 Wireless Owner

Hi, I am not new to Mobileread, I have a PRS-505, but wanted an easier to see reader as I am getting older and eyes aren't what they use to be. I fell in love with the Kindle at the store, but ordered it on Amazon. Won't be here, they say till Jan 4-10, anxiously waiting and soaking up info here.

I can't wait!
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations new! When your *new* Kindle arrives, please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, new.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Hi, I am not new to Mobileread, I have a PRS-505, but wanted an easier to see reader as I am getting older and eyes aren't what they use to be. I fell in love with the Kindle at the store, but ordered it on Amazon. Won't be here, they say till Jan 4-10, anxiously waiting and soaking up info here.

I can't wait!
Enjoy! Check out the free book thread and start downloading the free books.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Welcome aboard, New!

Feel free to ask any questions you have, and above all, enjoy your new Kindle when it comes!
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the welcoming! About cases and lights...

I have read the stickies on lights and cases, and now am more confused. I have several mighty bright lights and found them good, but the gooseneck loses its shape so I have to buy a new light anyway. I have read about the Kandle, some don't like, and others. The one that plugs in the case doesn't light well by the picture on amazon.

Also, does the case still affect the buttons? I read they were causing malfunctions? I want to get the case soon before the Kindle gets here.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
I have the unlighted Amazon case and found it very nice. It does not affect the buttons. Some people have had problems where their Kindle reset because of the Amazon case but I had no problems with mine. I now have an Oberon case but that was sheer indulgence on my part and not because there was anything wrong with my Amazon case.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find the Amazon lighted cover to be very good indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Welcome to Kindle-world!

The lighted cover lights the screen well. Light is very difficult to capture in pictures so it's hard to judge with any book light without seeing it in person.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
With the Amazon Kindle cover with light, obviously the upper right corner directly under the light is the brightest while the bottom left corner is dimmer. However, even that bottom left corner is more than sufficiently lit for reading. IMHO
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
custard
custard began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Kindle
Quote:

I can't wait!
me too! (well except the part about having an e-reader before - I've just been using my iphone) but my Kindle should arrive between the 5th-10th... let's hope there's no more snow to slow down delivery's!
nearly ordered a nicer cover to go with it but I might try making one myself.
custard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by custard View Post
me too! (well except the part about having an e-reader before - I've just been using my iphone) but my Kindle should arrive between the 5th-10th... let's hope there's no more snow to slow down delivery's!
nearly ordered a nicer cover to go with it but I might try making one myself.
I was going to make a cover too, but I need something to mount a mighty bright light on. I would love the $59 lighted cover like some have here, but the price

Do you read at night? You will either need a regular light, or clip light.

I just checked my Amazon account and it says I can't cancel it is being processed to ship. So maybe I will get it next week after all. I was afraid they wouldn't ship until next week. For 3 days the account said I could cancel, so it was not being shipped until today (I hope).
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I use a headlamp to read. It works nicely and comes in handy when camping or during emergencies.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #14
custard
custard began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Kindle
Quote:
I was going to make a cover too, but I need something to mount a mighty bright light on. I would love the $59 lighted cover like some have here, but the price

Do you read at night? You will either need a regular light, or clip light.

I just checked my Amazon account and it says I can't cancel it is being processed to ship. So maybe I will get it next week after all. I was afraid they wouldn't ship until next week. For 3 days the account said I could cancel, so it was not being shipped until today (I hope).
ouch... that does seem rather expensive for a small light.
I have a small lamp near my bed so I wont need a light for then - not sure about other situations as I've not tried an e-book before.

I think if you want a cheaper solution then you could try the headlight option as Prof-Crash suggests - but you could then blind whoever interrupts you as you look up! I have two friends who have been camping once but have a lot of camping equipment and they love their headlights! lol

I should think if you use a sturdy enough backboard for the cover then it would hold a light?
ie: use a hardback book cover which could be reinforced with more card or even use a slim piece of wood as the base of the hand-made cover - add some wadding or foam which would add some cushioning to protect the kindle and I should think that would hold up a lamp rather well.

Maybe once you've received the Kindle you'll be able to see a better option - it's hard to guess when it's not right in front of you - maybe hold off until then to decide on what light?
custard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
3bayjunkie
SPC
3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.3bayjunkie knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 (3g,black)
Quote:

I can't wait!
what store did you see it in?
3bayjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote