Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
SDMLG
SDMLG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I wish I'd found this forum before doing a Deregister and Factory Reset on my Kindle 2 gw 2.5.8 + security update. From what I've read, 2.5.8 deletes the device's security certificate / private key.

It was working just fine for the first few weeks of November. I have several SSIDs and wanted to see which one it was connecting to since I'd forgotten and wanted to switch SSIDs for the Wi-Fi. I stupidly thought if I de-registered and did a factory reset, it would ask me which Wi-Fi to connect to. It never did. Amazon has the passwords for the various SSIDs I have access to, but I'm thinking the Factory Reset must not deleted the SSID/password combo since I get 5 bars.

Wi-Fi works and I can access the Kindle Store. However it will not register and gives me the message:
"You Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the menu in Settings and try again."

411 shows None for all the servers and Certificate: missing

After trying to talk to the Indian customer service for over an hour and explaining exactly what I needed, he was able to re-register my K2 so it shows up in My Devices, but while being persistent in trying to find a solution, despite my explaining the missing device certificate at least a dozen times, he finally gave up and said it was too old.

I've been looking at the Wiki article "Kindle 2 US and Kindle DX US Registration Hack" to see if that would register the k2i, but the update_reginfo files can't be found (Rapidshare & Megaupload). I also don't know if that would actually generate the certificate or not or how to go about doing that, if it's possible. I have the jailbreak files for a k2i.

I do have the 2.5.2 update bin file and was thinking maybe that would regenerate the missing certificate but of course, it won't downlevel 2.5.8.

I'm wondering if there's any way to fix this connection issue to the Amazon servers. Since I get 1 or more books daily (free ones) I'd rather not do the USB/sideload thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by SDMLG; 12-02-2019 at 10:51 PM.
SDMLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
You seem a bit mixed up here,

The "Kindle 2" looks like this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon...indle-gen2.jpg

The Kindle 2 did not have Wi-Fi - it can only download books wirelessly using a cellular network.

Are you sure you have a Kindle 2?
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
SDMLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
You seem a bit mixed up here,
The "Kindle 2" looks like this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon...indle-gen2.jpg
The Kindle 2 did not have Wi-Fi - it can only download books wirelessly using a cellular network.
Are you sure you have a Kindle 2?
Ah,okay. I've seen the 3G indicator, and had always assumed that the 5 bars meant Wi-Fi strength. That's why I couldn't figure out how to switch the SSID. DOH!

I still need to figure out how to restore/rebuild the device certificate, which I think is it's private key to match the public keys of the Amazon servers. From what I've read. the 2.5.8 update deletes the certificate if you do a Factory Reset.

Once I have that in place then I should, hopefully, be able to get the device back on Whispernet.

The device shows up under My Devices, so I thought if I could get the registration hack working for my 2nd generation global wireless Kindle 2, that might do the trick and generate the missing certificate. I just need those files which I can't find since they're not on Rapidshare or Megaupload.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMLG View Post
Ah,okay. I've seen the 3G indicator, and had always assumed that the 5 bars meant Wi-Fi strength. That's why I couldn't figure out how to switch the SSID. DOH!

I still need to figure out how to restore/rebuild the device certificate, which I think is it's private key to match the public keys of the Amazon servers. From what I've read. the 2.5.8 update deletes the certificate if you do a Factory Reset.

Once I have that in place then I should, hopefully, be able to get the device back on Whispernet.

The device shows up under My Devices, so I thought if I could get the registration hack working for my 2nd generation global wireless Kindle 2, that might do the trick and generate the missing certificate. I just need those files which I can't find since they're not on Rapidshare or Megaupload.
I think there havebeen threads in the Developers Corner for restoring Kindle DX certificates and the DX and Kindle 2 are very similar except for screen size.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
SDMLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think there havebeen threads in the Developers Corner for restoring Kindle DX certificates and the DX and Kindle 2 are very similar except for screen size.
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Advert
Old 07-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #6
jackmcgann
jackmcgann began at the beginning.

Device: 2nd gen kindle (it's old)
To SDMLG

Were you ever able to resolve this? I'm stuck at the exact same spot!
jackmcgann is offline   Reply With Quote