Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #16
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Derek. Late or not (and I think it most likely will be late given that you've not yet had your engineering samples) I'm very much looking forward to getting a CyBook. Can't wait for your review!
Me too. The review and comparison with the Sony Reader is really what's going to drive my final decision. I'm leaning heavily in the Cybook direction because of the easy USB connection, Vizplex screens and Mobipocket rather than BBeB. I just want to be sure its a quality device.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
Me too. The review and comparison with the Sony Reader is really what's going to drive my final decision. I'm leaning heavily in the Cybook direction because of the easy USB connection, Vizplex screens and Mobipocket rather than BBeB. I just want to be sure its a quality device.
I won't doubt it'll be a quality device. But will it be available any time soon or will delays cause it to be late? We've been speculating on this and no official word yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure it'll arrive eventually. I'm not that bothered whether it's end of September of end of December - I'll buy it whenever it appears.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:48 AM   #19
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Thanks for the info Derek, it will be really interesting to see how much better the Viziplex display will be compared to the Sony reader.

Have you also got an Iliad for comparison by any chance? I just drew out the screen sizes on a piece of paper and I am pretty amazed just how much bigger the Iliad screen is.

It sounds like they are going to struggle to his Septmeber though if you are only just getting an engineering sample. I am hoping to get a device by October as I am treating myself for my birthday! So if the Cybook is delayed past September I can see myself ordering an Iliad instead.
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got an iLiad and a Sony Reader (which has the same size screen as the CyBook), heb, and you're absolutely right; the large screen of the iLiad does make it a completely different reading experience.

On the other hand, the compact size of the Reader makes it much better for travelling with, and its "instant on", compared with the 45 second boot-up time of the iLiad makes it a lot more suited for when you only have a few minutes to read.

I plan to buy a CyBook as soon as they are released, and will use the iLiad at home, and take the CyBook to work and on trips with me.

Both types of device have their place.
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #21
heb
Enthusiast
heb began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Given that I will be using the device primarily at home so the battery life and size shouldn't be as bigger issue I suppose the main factors will be cost and whether the viziplex screen is much better.

I have to say that the development by the user community on the Iliad seems to be picking up and producing programs that are both very interesting and useful which is also making the device more tempting.

£430 is still a lot for a device to read books on though, I find the 350 euros for the Cybook a lot more paletable!
heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
ZeBuddha
MonkeyWrench
ZeBuddha began at the beginning.

Device: SE K800i & PSP - looking at PRS500 :D
Ok, just a question on the whole vizplex screen thing. Everyone makes it seem like it'll be a HUGE difference. From what I picked up, it's just a slight increase in contrast (20% - or 1/5th) and (perhaps more importantly) a notably faster page-turn speed.

Does the current eink screen contrast cause any problems? I mean, I've only seen pictures and it seems pretty good to me. Ok, I'm used to recycled-paper books which are kinda grey/brown-on-black in the first place... but still. It's still readable on a sunny day outside right? In an aeroplane with only the little overhead light? Or in bed with a weak (say 20-40W bulb) bedside lamp as only illumination?

Personally, I don't particularly care about the page-turn speed... as long as it's under 1s for a normal, text page. Actually, is it possible to, say, press the "next page" button 5-times in a row fast (without waiting for each page to load) - in for example the sony reader or the hanlins? I mean if you can't then it would be a significant advantage to have pageload times reduced...
ZeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The current screens are just fine. Speaking personally, I don't even notice the page turn speed of either the iLiad or the Sony Reader - it's certainly faster than the time it takes to turn the page of a paper book.

The light levels you need for an eInk screen are pretty much the same as those you need for a paper book - I don't think that the slight increase in screen reflectivity with the VizPlex screens is going to change that at all.

Yes, you can press the "next page" 5 times in a row on the Sony and it'll do them one after the other.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #24
File
File can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blueFile can differentiate black from dark navy blue

After sending an email to bookeen as an interested consumer, they replied a few days later.. Here is the email.

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and for your interest in the Cybook.

You will be able to directly order the new Cybook from Bookeen web site in the second half of September.

More information from our web site and newsletter next month…

With our best regards,

Bookeen Team

P.S.:

We might accept pre-orders around mid-september.

We will ship to the US.

The previous Cybook shipped to over 40 countries.

Bookeen – www.bookeen.com

Ubibooks – www.ubibooks.com
Hopefully this is a definitive go for september release. Seems like it. Sent from "Bookeen Contact <contact@bookeen.com> "
File is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't read that as a definite September release at all - simply that they'll be accepting orders in September. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The current screens are just fine. Speaking personally, I don't even notice the page turn speed of either the iLiad or the Sony Reader - it's certainly faster than the time it takes to turn the page of a paper book.
I agree. While I have nothing against a faster refresh, I can live perfectly well with the Sony Reader right now.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I keep repeating to myself: "I don't NEED a new reader, I have the Sony Reader."

No matter how many times I have repeated that to myself, I keep wanting a Cybook. I couldn't even really afford the Sony Reader, but I bought it anyway. Heck, not only that, but now is the best time to have the Sony Reader because of all the books we have and the all the great Mac software we finally have for it..

But I still feel myself drawn to the new and different ebook readers. I think I have an addiction to all things "ebooky."

Note: By the way, I LOVE my Sony Reader, so I have no reason to want another, but I do. <sigh>
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #28
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
I keep repeating to myself: "I don't NEED a new reader, I have the Sony Reader."
[ snip ]
I think I have an addiction to all things "ebooky."
Yep, its been known to happen.
Speaking as a prime candidate for "e-book devices anonimous" myself, I can only offer you this advice: Stop repeating that utter nonsense to yourself.
"I don't need a new reader" indeed...

Ofcourse you need a new reader!!

What's more, my old e-book devices have turned cranky unhappy technophobes into cheerfull and bright, highly valued contributing members of society.
Give your old Sony to some poor unhappy sap, stand back and watch what happens.
Don't be too surprised if you can hear a heavenly choir start to sing and if you see rays of sunshine bursting through the clouds, well that is normal too.
As a happy byproduct, you are stuck with a brand new ebook reader.
Wow!

Ps, If the wife starts nagging tell her it was either this or a new hobby like collecting pre-20th century Albanian lampposts.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:19 AM   #29
ZeBuddha
MonkeyWrench
ZeBuddha began at the beginning.

Device: SE K800i & PSP - looking at PRS500 :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
But I still feel myself drawn to the new and different ebook readers. I think I have an addiction to all things "ebooky."
Just be glad it's not an addiction to all things gadgetty *he says while looking at a pile of wires and various objects of a generally black, white or gray colour in numerous shapes and sizes...* it can always be worse...
ZeBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In my own case, it's a desire to standardize on MobiPocket as a format I can read on all my devices. I already have an iLiad for reading at home, and a Windows Mobile Smartphone for reading "on the go"; the CyBook looks as though it'll make a perfect "medium sized" device to take away on trips, etc.