Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Numerically speaking, Vizplex may not be all that much faster than its predecessor, but I think it's crossed a threshold where the delay is getting to be unnoticeable. Of course, it could be that regular e-ink has warped my perceptions on the matter.

I like the image based index of books/files. Very nicely intuitive, making it faster to find what you're after.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
After seeing that video this is now my top contender. I'm very impressed. I love the lookup feature. That was one of the main reasons I was thinking of waiting for a touchscreen model but with this I may not have to. I think some day when there are products closer to the Info Pad concept that are more mature I'll probably want one, but for reading novels and such this looks just peachy.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Lookup mode is incredible and a must-to-have for people who don't speak
english as a mother tongue.

For instance, i'm fond of fantasy but you rarely learn at school what words
like "quiver" mean With this dictionnary it'll become a pleasure to learn
vocabulary by reading

However, it's true there is a lack of buttons compared to the sony prs-500/505.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I don't necessarily need a lot of buttons as long as I have the right buttons.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Guguy,

I've found, with a proper ToC, I don't really miss the extra buttons that the PRS-500 has. Of course, it would be hell trying to do any kind of tex-input without even 0-9, but I suppose even that could be accomplished using a virtual keyboard and the navigation dial.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post

vocabulary by reading

However, it's true there is a lack of buttons compared to the sony prs-500/505.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #21
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Have you seen that?
That's what I call software development!! Simplicity, usability, speed.

After seeing this video does anyone still doubt the benefits of vizplex?
Now that I've finally jumped on the devices bandwagon I'll wait to see what amazon has to offer, but if it's anything like their prototype, then I'm getting a cybook.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #22
Adam
Enthusiast
Adam began at the beginning.

Refresh rates.

The black and white text might just a little bit faster noticeably but the grey-scale pictures sure render faster on the screen. The screen looks whiter too but I need a older gen screen right next to it with the same lighting conditions to really believe its that much whiter compared to the old e-ink which I have seen in person.

The dictionary is well done in my opinion. I do not know how it could be done better unless it is a touch screen.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
Have you seen that?
That's what I call software development!! Simplicity, usability, speed.

After seeing this video does anyone still doubt the benefits of vizplex?
Now that I've finally jumped on the devices bandwagon I'll wait to see what amazon has to offer, but if it's anything like their prototype, then I'm getting a cybook.
Don't forget the 505 . It hasn't been launched yet and we know nothing of its software features. I'm hoping to see Digital Editions on board.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid you're likely to be disappointed, yvanleterrible -- I don't think Adobe has finished a mobile version of DE yet.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Maybe but don't under estimate the speed at which they can work when the smell of money calls!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hey! Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if you were right! I just haven't seen any indications that it's so.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #27
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Is the dictionary going to be available for any ebook (e.g. *.txt files from Project Gutenberg)? Do we have to buy a dictionary? Which languages are available?
I don't know if that's a Mobipocket feature only since I've never seen a Mobipocket file. What do you think?
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #28
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Is the dictionary going to be available for any ebook (e.g. *.txt files from Project Gutenberg)? Do we have to buy a dictionary? Which languages are available?
I've been told that dictionary is a mobipocket feature (also available on
the iliad for instance) so it's not available for any ebook, however you can
easily convert txt ebooks to mobipocket.

Usually you have to buy the dictionary. There are 178 dictionaries currently
available for mobipocket, see :
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...sp?Language=EN
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

I don't use Mobi either, but I believe guguy has the right of it.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post

vocabulary by reading
Just a note that "lookup" is a standard feature of MobiPocket. It's available on any device which has MobiPocket Reader - CyBook, iLiad, Pocket PC, Palm, etc etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote