Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
kenjennings
Edge User

Bug? Annotation Doesn't scale with zoom controls

View a PDF document.
Use the Annotation tool to draw a circle around a word.
Exit annotation.
Use the zoom controls to zoom in or out of document.
Enter Annotation.
The circle drawn earlier has shifted on the page based on the zoom factor.

So, annotation marks are only accurate if the document is zoomed to the same level when the marks were created.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
done
Edge User

This will be a feature that will be included in a future software update.

Last edited by done; 04-07-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
henry_moh
Edge User

When can this problem be solved? This bug is pretty annoying actually. I dare not move on my readings which I need lots of annotations. Please be quick. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
fgruber
Edge User

I agree. THis a very annoying bug and need to be fixed as soon as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_moh View Post
When can this problem be solved? This bug is pretty annoying actually. I dare not move on my readings which I need lots of annotations. Please be quick. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
10tklz
Edge User

This is a major issue for me as well.

Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
fgruber
Edge User

I think the easier solution would be to make the reader remember the zoom setting that was used when we did the annotation. That way when we click on an annotation link on the LCD side the ereader will not only show the right page but also the correct zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tklz View Post
This is a major issue for me as well.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
I think the easier solution would be to make the reader remember the zoom setting that was used when we did the annotation. That way when we click on an annotation link on the LCD side the ereader will not only show the right page but also the correct zoom
Tech Support tells me it is supposed to be doing exactly that. It is supposed to remember the zoom setting when the annotation was added and then zoom to the same setting when annotation mode is turned on. That's the bug.

Personally, I would prefer that scaling and annotating mode not be mutually exclusive activities. I would usually want to browse the doc and then flip annotation on to see if there are any previous notes regardless of the current zoom level. Often I want to be zoomed to a different depth when reading or even adding new annotation.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
fgruber
Edge User

Yes that would be nice indeed. Like you would expect in a PC. However, it does seem a lot more complicated to achieve. Let's hope we get a significant update soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Tech Support tells me it is supposed to be doing exactly that. It is supposed to remember the zoom setting when the annotation was added and then zoom to the same setting when annotation mode is turned on. That's the bug.

Personally, I would prefer that scaling and annotating mode not be mutually exclusive activities. I would usually want to browse the doc and then flip annotation on to see if there are any previous notes regardless of the current zoom level. Often I want to be zoomed to a different depth when reading or even adding new annotation.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
fgruber
Edge User

I wish they would release a quick update fixing minor (but annoying) issues like this instead of trying to pack all changes into one big update and meanwhile making us wait forever. I know some of the future changes like landscape eink and so on are difficult and take times but clearly this bug is easy to fix!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Yes that would be nice indeed. Like you would expect in a PC. However, it does seem a lot more complicated to achieve. Let's hope we get a significant update soon!!
I don't think one unified mode of viewing/annotating would be difficult to achieve. (FYI: The iRex Iliad bookreader does exactly what we're discussing for annotation.) Annotations should be just a list of line segments between points. It's a simple transformation to rescale all the points/lines from the original values to the current zoom level.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
fgruber
Edge User

Yes I agree it shouldn't be that difficult. However, given that they originally intended the reader to remember the zoom but for some unfortunate mistake it is not doing it, means that the whole code is already there. It is just a matter of fixing a few lines of code to correct this error.

On the other hand dealing with annotation scaling would probably require a whole rewrite and, therefore, it would take longer.

Of course it would be excellent if we had this functionality in the near future as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
I don't think one unified mode of viewing/annotating would be difficult to achieve. (FYI: The iRex Iliad bookreader does exactly what we're discussing for annotation.) Annotations should be just a list of line segments between points. It's a simple transformation to rescale all the points/lines from the original values to the current zoom level.