Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Free Library of Philadelphia

I've been unable to login to FLP for two days. Error message is "The library authentication server is overwhelmed due to high volume. Requests will be denied until it recovers".

I've tried clearing history and cache. Any suggestions?
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
I've been unable to login to FLP for two days. Error message is "The library authentication server is overwhelmed due to high volume. Requests will be denied until it recovers".

I've tried clearing history and cache. Any suggestions?
I just logged in after getting the same error.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-02-2020 at 08:30 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Jon. I also am able to log in now.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm noticing your locations--I thought FLP had stopped offering out-of-state library cards.

I used to have their card but stopped renewing it several years ago. For some reason, though, in the past few months I have been getting notices of Overdrive books available to borrow; they generally seem to be books that are several years old, and I believe they are probably books I recommended that FLP has now acquired. Whatever, it's annoying since I have no account and no way to reject the books they're holding for me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm noticing your locations--I thought FLP had stopped offering out-of-state library cards.
They have. However, until 2013, FLP gave free cards to vets, members of the military and seniors, and those who obtained cards on the basis of one of those categories were grandfathered. My guess is they didn’t want to take cards away from the military and figured that they’d lose the senior and vet cards through attrition.

They were losing money even at $50, by my calculations, and even more so obviously on the free cards. I hope those who’ve been lucky enough to be grandfathered are entitled to the privilege. I think there’s a lot of abuse of library cards, frankly.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

I used to have their card but stopped renewing it several years ago. For some reason, though, in the past few months I have been getting notices of Overdrive books available to borrow; they generally seem to be books that are several years old, and I believe they are probably books I recommended that FLP has now acquired. Whatever, it's annoying since I have no account and no way to reject the books they're holding for me.
I'm seeing this also. My card expired in September, and I get the occasional email saying an ebook is ready for checkout. The interesting thing is that I know I did recommend the ebooks at one point, but had since removed them from my recommended list.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm seeing this also. My card expired in September, and I get the occasional email saying an ebook is ready for checkout. The interesting thing is that I know I did recommend the ebooks at one point, but had since removed them from my recommended list.
I'm assuming it has to do with Overdrive's new-ish system of letting you postpone borrowing when a hold comes through. Which means it's delaying getting the book to the next person, since the book sits there waiting for me for three days, and I can't reject it without an active account.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
They have. However, until 2013, FLP gave free cards to vets, members of the military and seniors, and those who obtained cards on the basis of one of those categories were grandfathered. My guess is they didn’t want to take cards away from the military and figured that they’d lose the senior and vet cards through attrition.

They were losing money even at $50, by my calculations, and even more so obviously on the free cards. I hope those who’ve been lucky enough to be grandfathered are entitled to the privilege. I think there’s a lot of abuse of library cards, frankly.
When my card expired in 2019, I called the library and managed to get my card renewed. I'll try the same thing again when it expires. I won't get my hopes up.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When my card expired in 2019, I called the library and managed to get my card renewed. I'll try the same thing again when it expires. I won't get my hopes up.
That’s nice to hear. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:

Good analysis. My spouse is an 87 year old vet still eligible to use his FLP card.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I did call FLP and they did renew my library card.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I think there’s a lot of abuse of library cards, frankly.
How do you abuse a library card? Are you talking about obtaining one fraudulently (falsifying your address, or something like that?)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
How do you abuse a library card? Are you talking about obtaining one fraudulently (falsifying your address, or something like that?)
The person on the phone asked for the address on file and I gave it. No way to fudge the address.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:

My grandfathered card is still active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I'm also curious about what kind of abuse issybird's referring to.

Every library I belong to requires a photo ID plus proof of whatever status one needs to prove eligibility (e.g., home/school/work address, or some other documentation proving employer/school affiliation or military/veteran status).
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

My sense is that there’s a fair amount of people using legitimate library cards that belong to other people. Say you live in the sticks but you’ve got a cousin in Seattle or Cleveland who’s given you access to his account. You’re not paying the taxes nor living in the area that would entitle you to the card, but you’re using the resources just the same. That’s one example; I can think of others.