Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
cyttorak
cyttorak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Question A ebook to replace my old Kobo Mini

My old Kobo Mini doesn't work any more :___

I'm looking for something similar about size (kobo mini was 10,2 X 13,3 x 1 cm) and quality

Any recommendation?

EDIT 1: frontlight, wifi, online bookshop, etc is not necessary for me. I only want to read epub (mainly download from internet), passing it to my book just connecting it with my linux laptob by usb wire (so it have to be detected easily like a usb memory or somethin like that, without proprietary applications or drivers) or with calibre, in a screen that do the work enough well like kobo mini screem did

EDIT 2: The cool of kobo mini size is the dimension of the whole device, not the dimension of its screem, so it is not mandatory a 5" screen. I am happy with any screen size if it is compensated with a case small enough to keep the set at the minimum size.

EDIT 3: I'm living in Spain, but I don't have problem in buying through internet. Also I can consider second hand devices.

Last edited by cyttorak; 01-10-2019 at 01:59 AM.
cyttorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Unfortunately, there are no more 5" devices. The only other 5" was the Sony 350, but Sony don't make ereaders anymore. What about trying a 6"? If you want frontlight, there's the Kindle Paperwhite 4, or the Kobo Clara HD (the latter can have lightbleed problems, though many people receive perfect devices)?

If you don't particularly want frontlight, there's the Kindle Basic.

I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions.

Do you have any other requirements/desires in an ereader?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
cyttorak

Hi, I would prefer avoid kindle devices, I don't like amazon, and I need a book that read epub directly

6'' is not problem for me. What I love of kobo mini are its dimension (the dimension of the whole device, not just the screen). If there ir a 6'' ebook with no wasted space around I think it would be enough close to 10,2 X 13,3 x 1 cm of the kobo mini.
It would be great!

Thanks

P.D.: frontlight, wifi, online bookshop, etc is not necessary for me. I only want to read epub (mainly download from internet), passing it to my book just connecting it with my linux laptob by usb wire (so it have to be detected easily like a usb memory or somethin like that, without proprietary applications or drivers) or with calibre, in a screen that do the work enough well like kobo mini screem did

Last edited by cyttorak; 01-09-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyttorak View Post
My old Kobo Mini doesn't work any more :___

I'm looking for something similar about size (kobo mini was 10,2 X 13,3 x 1 cm) and quality

Any recommendation?
You could look for another Mini on eBay. Also, the original 6" Kobo Aura is of similar dimensions to the Mini.

Mini dimensions:
133 mm
102 mm
10 mm

Aura dimensions:
150 mm
114 mm
8.1 mm

Of course, both the Mini and the original Aura are discontinued, so you'll have to look on eBay or something similar for either.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want to avoid Amazon, take a look at Kobo devices. Of the ones currently made the Clara is the closest in size to what you want. But before you consider this, please do a search for the Clara's lightbleed issue. I had to return one for this reason, but others have had far better experiences with it.

If you're in the UK, Argos are currently selling the Kobo Aura 2 for £99.99 The dimensions are: H15.9, W11.3, D0.9cm.

Last edited by BookCat; 01-09-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Advert
Old 01-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
cyttorak

Question

Just for curiosity: Noone is bulding ebooks with a good screen and just focus in reading epub that you collect by you own?. I mean, I don't want wiifi, I don't want a button to share in facebook, I don't want a online shop, I don't want personal recomendations, etc, but all I find have this kind of things
Old 01-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can look at stuff from Onyx or PocketBook, not sure if they have anything in your size range right now. Devices not subsidized by a big store are generally going to cost a bit more though. You're not going to avoid WiFi nowadays on devices. It would help if you let people know what region you're shopping from since not all brands are readily available everywhere.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyttorak View Post
Just for curiosity: Noone is bulding ebooks with a good screen and just focus in reading epub that you collect by you own?. I mean, I don't want wiifi, I don't want a button to share in facebook, I don't want a online shop, I don't want personal recomendations, etc, but all I find have this kind of things
With Kobo you can turn most of those things off. When you first get a reader, you will see recommendations on the home screen, but as you use the device those will go away.

There is a patch (I believe) to turn off the home page link to the shop. (I haven't bothered since it is only a text line).

Wi-Fi you can turn off on all ereaders.

I believe Kindle lets you get rid of recommendations on the home screen, but I haven't used a Kindle in a while, so I am not sure.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 AM   #9
cyttorak

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It would help if you let people know what region you're shopping from since not all brands are readily available everywhere.
I'm living in Spain, but I don't have problem in buying through internet. Also I can consider second hand devices.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 03:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I believe Kindle lets you get rid of recommendations on the home screen, but I haven't used a Kindle in a while, so I am not sure.
It does, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Pocketbook HD 3 & Touch Lux 4: 161,3 × 108 × 8 mm, 155 g
Kobo Clara HD: 159,6 x 110 x 8,35 mm, 166 g
Onyx BOOX Poke Pro 160x114x7.8 mm, 170 g
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Pocketbook HD 3 & Touch Lux 4: 161,3 × 108 × 8 mm, 155 g
Kobo Clara HD: 159,6 x 110 x 8,35 mm, 166 g
Onyx BOOX Poke Pro 160x114x7.8 mm, 170 g
I didn't realize the Clara and the Aura were so close in size. I haven't seen a Clara first hand yet.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

As far as I'm aware all ereaders let you turn off the wifi. The Kobo Mini had wifi, but this can be disabled in the settings. This is true of Kindles and Kobos, in fact I don't know a reader where you can't disable the wifi. This saves battery power.

As for recommendations, I know that with the kindle devices you pay an extra £20 for a device without any adverts, and can have recommendations/adverts etc switched off by paying £20 to Amazon to have them removed if you initially purchase your ereader with adverts.

The screens are considerably better now than they were, especially the resolution. Perhaps consider a reader with a resolution of 300 ppi (this is something I would look for in a new ereader.) There have been some complaints about the latest Paperwhite - that the text seems faded, but you seem to want to stay away from Amazon anyway.

Take a look at the latest Kobo models, see if anything appeals. However, they seem to be moving away from 6" ereaders to larger ones.

The PocketBook Touch HD is a nice ereader, but not small overall. Personally, I prefer the PocketBook Touch HD 2 because this has features lacking in the 3, such as an SD port. You should be able to buy this in Spain (apparently it's not available outside Europe, not even online.)

Last edited by BookCat; 01-10-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
cyttorak

Unhappy

More than wifi what I try to avoid is to have to create a account or vinculate my device with another account.

I know I have already did it when I bought my Kobo mini, but It was a nasty surprise. Yes, after that you can ignore your account, but It is still mandatory create one to start, and I suppose it would be the same with Amazon.

The only reason that I still consider to buy a Kobo is because at least they already have my data :_

But I would be huge happy with a small ereader that respect my privacity and do not force me me to create account, sync stuff o whatever. I only want to read epubs, I don't want an ecosystem and I don't want to be traced.

Yes, I know you can disabled many things, but it is better if simply the ereeader can't do it what you don want it do.

Yes, it is a little paranoid, but I find quite sad that lately is almost impossible buy anything that is not conect to the cloud or required a account or your mobile or something like that.

EDIT: Looking for more information I find someone with my same point of view and probably better written english: https://steamcommunity.com/discussio...7935540169183/

Last edited by cyttorak; 01-10-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J

Kobo never check your email details, so you can get round the set up screen by downloading the Kobo desktop, then signing up with a totally fake email (google to check that this email address doesn't exist). Something like stupidface@kobo.com (I haven't checked this).

I know this because it was suggested to me on the Kobo part of mobileread when I wanted to put public domain epubs onto a kobo reader I'd bought for a friend. It worked. I managed to get the reader working without ever connecting it to wifi, instead I used a usb cable attached to my computer. I put books onto it using this cable.

There does seem to be a reluctance among the upcoming ereader population to be "spied upon". This can't be done if you keep your ereader in aeroplane mode (wifi switched off). These companies aren't psychic!

Edit: I've checked the email address, it doesn't exist.