Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2016, 03:15 AM   #1
qwert
qwert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Looking for ereader with at least 6.8 screen

- must be at least 6.8
Found Aura HD to be okay, but wouldn't go smaller
- cheapest in that size range, but
- if the warranty is great as in more than 1 year, more expensive is okay
- ereaders that are especially durable; if I didn't drop or damage it, it shouldn't break
- fast page turn response
- frontlight
- great resolution (at least not a downgrade from before)

I bought a Kobo Aura HD which currently seems to be broken after 1.3 years, so not particularly keen on getting the H2O. Loved the Kobo while it lasted though. A $160 tablet wouldn't break down in one year, and if I bought a $400 laptop (2 Kobos), I would expect to be able to use it for a decade or more.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by qwert; 02-21-2016 at 03:25 AM.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:28 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you want it significantly more durable, I suggest a tablet/phablet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2016, 03:44 AM   #3
qwert
qwert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
ereaders only because seeking to reduce eyestrain.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
ereaders only because seeking to reduce eyestrain.
The I don't know of anything that fits all of your requirements. I suggest getting another Kobo, putting it in an excellent case, and looking after it - no flexion, torsion, impacts or temperature extremes.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Did the screen substrate of your Kobo break? If so, that is always caused by user abuse - it doesn't just happen spontaneously. The most common cause is bending the device, eg by putting something heavy alongside it in a bag.

Keep the device in a good-quality rigid case and you'll be fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
The best guarantee for durability is a flexible screen - however these are only available in smaller (6 in.) or much larger (13.3 in.) sizes, and don't have frontlights.
I therefore agree with those who said: buy any reader you like, and keep it in a rigid case.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote