Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
mytamhuyet
mytamhuyet began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
New reader for mom

Hi all

I finally convinced my mom to get an ebook reader. I am looking for something really simple for her around 6-7 inches. It does not need to have wifi cause she does not have internet.

I will be loading the books for her so it should have an external SD reader and it should be able to read ePub, mobi and PDF. A backlight for night reading would be good too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
mytamhuyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your requirements are best suited by a tablet. Dedicated eInk reading devices aren't good at reading multiple formats, and very few have an SD card slot.

Perhaps the Amazon Fire HD8 might be appropriate. Decent tablet at a low cost and with an SD card slot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
You might look at PocketBook Touch Lux 4, HD 2, Inkpad 3. All of those have SD slots and can read multiple formats.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
It's difficult to make recommendations to you without knowing what part of the world you're in. Some e-ink readers are more difficult to purchase than others if you're in North America, for example.

I would strongly recommend that you stay away from PDF as much as possible if you're going with a 6-7" device.

SD Card slots are harder and harder to come by these days, but unless you have a lot of PDFs or cbr/cbz (manga, usually) space won't matter. I would strongly recommend the use of a laptop (if you have one) and Calibre to load up your mom's e-reader.

I will state that I'm a Kobo fan and love my H2O. A Clara HD or a H2O v2 might be a good fit for your mom.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
You might want to look at the Pocketbook Touch Lux 4. It's one of the few new ones I can find with a microSD slot, and it's reasonably priced.

Review:
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...h-lux-4-review

Market:
https://goodereader.com/blog/product...ok-touch-lux-4

I don't know if you can buy anywhere else in the U.S. -- this is GoodEReader's review and store.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know if you can buy anywhere else in the U.S. -- this is GoodEReader's review and store.
You can buy one from decitre.fr and have it shipped to the US; that's how I got my InkPad 3. I thought the price and shipping were very reasonable. Check out the "where can I buy" thread in the PocketBook forum for details.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote