Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
GeekDrop
GeekDrop began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro, Note 3.
Question Automatically Keep Calibre Updated?

I am running Calibre (the server) on a server machine that is offsite, and I'm wondering if there's a way to have Calibre automatically keep itself (and all it's plugins) auto-updated, so that I don't have to keep manually updating it myself?
GeekDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Hey ho =)
Do you use a Windows or Linux Machine?
For Windows I am aware of two possibilities.
1. A Batch file or
2. A Windows package Manager, which works with Calibre (https://chocolatey.org/)

If you want the Batch File, I could give you an Tutorial =)

But: I would not recommend it!
I had once the Problem, that a new Calibre Version wasn't working properly for my Machine. Which ended in a really nasty Bug and a corrupted Library.
It was an aweful waste of time, to get my old stand back. >.<

Last edited by Angel Crawford; 01-10-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekDrop View Post
I am running Calibre (the server) on a server machine that is offsite, and I'm wondering if there's a way to have Calibre automatically keep itself (and all it's plugins) auto-updated, so that I don't have to keep manually updating it myself?
Please see:

Sticky Fully automatic calibre installer/updater for linux

Sticky Fully automatic Calibre autoupate solution (Windows)

Use at your own risk.
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
But, AFAIK they won't update plugins.

FWIW: You can get an RSS msg when a Kovid posts a new version summary to the What's New page. The link is at bottom of calibre's home page ==>> https://calibre-ebook.com/

- an RSS msg when the Plugin Updater finds a new or updated plugin from the MR Plugins sub-forum. It would provide the means by which users could be informed of new plugins - which doesn't currently exist.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's on my TODO list to add new plugin notifications to calibre as part of the normal new calibre version available popup.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How many 3rd party plugins work with SERVER?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
About the Windows version... the code shown in this thread is slightly wrong. This worked for me:

Code:
@echo off

calibre-debug.exe -c "import urllib as u; from calibre.constants import numeric_version; raise SystemExit(int(numeric_version  < (tuple(map(int, u.urlopen('http://code.calibre-ebook.com/latest').read().split('.'))))))"

if %ERRORLEVEL%==0 (
echo calibre is up to date.
)	else (
calibre.exe --shutdown-running-calibre
msiexec /passive /i http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win64
)

calibre-server [options]
  • The '/passive' option allows the program to be installed without user interaction. Without it, the installation process would get stuck, waiting for the user to confirm.
  • The 'calibre-server' command at the bottom will restart the calibre server. This is only necessary in this particular case, where it is running a server.
  • Also, while creating the task, remember to select "Run with highest privileges". This will skip the user confirmation on UAC screen.

But, as @BetterRed pointed out, this will not update the plugins.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's on my TODO list to add new plugin notifications to calibre as part of the normal new calibre version available popup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I recall Kovid mentioning server-side plugins when V3 was first released, I can't recall the context - possibly to do with non-browser based thin clients accessing a common server.

And, AFAIK the automation tool links bernie posted are not server specific tools, they also work on the desktop.

BR
Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
GeekDrop

Thank you all for the helpful replies, it's very much appreciated!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
GeekDrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
How about baking in auto-updating as an option as well? Save us from conjuring up our own methods?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
GeekDrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Good point, I hadn't really thought of that when I posted. I normally use Calibre on my non-server machine, with all the plugins, so I just threw that in there as well, during my post.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Good point, I hadn't really thought of that when I posted. I normally use Calibre on my non-server machine, with all the plugins, so I just threw that in there as well, during my post.
What distro are you using? You might want to look into Flatpak. Lunix Mint 19 comes with Flatpak preinstalled.

calibre on flatpak

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
How about baking in auto-updating as an option as well? Save us from conjuring up our own methods?
Very few people need to download every new version, and there is a new version every couple of weeks. Calibre has ~3,000,000 active users, with ~25 releases per annum, at ~70MB each that is 5.25 billion Megabytes.

And who would pay for the network bandwidth at the server end? Kovid Goyal.

I'll leave you to calculate the cost he would have to bear.

BR
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #14
GeekDrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Very few people need to download every new version, and there is a new version every couple of weeks. Calibre has ~3,000,000 active users, with ~25 releases per annum, at ~70MB each that is 5.25 billion Megabytes.

And who would pay for the network bandwidth at the server end? Kovid Goyal.

I'll leave you to calculate the cost he would have to bear.

BR
So, set it's default to "Off".
Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #15
GeekDrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
What distro are you using? You might want to look into Flatpak. Lunix Mint 19 comes with Flatpak preinstalled.

calibre on flatpak

bernie
Thanks Bernie,

I'm running it on a basic win 10 x64 server.

Tags
automate, automated upgrades, update