Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #3796
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If KindleUnpack gets it right, there's definitely something fishy going on, and I'll need a test file to figure it out .

(I assume you enabled periodicals support in the KUAL extension?)
Yes I did, but the problem exists for only certain issues. There is a thread here about this. The problem is with the metadata in the mobi file, specifically I believe it is missing an attribute for the cover in the ones that fail to be properly processed. I believe you should be able to see this with the data from the KindleUnpack dump.

As this is thus far an infrequent issue I would be satisfied to work around it by manually processing the proper cover and replacing the bad one in the cover_cache if that can be made to work. Of course I would need to know how to process the cover properly for a KT2 or a K3 to accomplish this.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #3797
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What data? You only attached a jpg .

Plus, I'd need a full file to debug this.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #3798
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What data? You only attached a jpg .

Plus, I'd need a full file to debug this.
Got bit by the uploader as the file didn't have an extension it supported. I attached it to this post. If you need the full file you will have to tell me how to provide it, as it is obviously copyrighted material.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSF_09.txt (36.7 KB, 283 views)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #3799
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, there's no cover metadata, and the current workaround of looking for the first image instead will here point to a probably unrelated gif .

I can *possibly* tweak that to switch that heuristic to use the first *jpg* image instead, but it still might be wrong.

Since it's been a few years since I touched that code, yeah, a link to the file in a PM would help test that theory (it's encrypted, I can't do anything with it except look at the metadata. If you want to be extra-paranoid and/or you're relying on public storage, put it in a passworded archive, and delete it as soon as I confirm I got it).
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #3800
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, there's no cover metadata, and the current workaround of looking for the first image instead will here point to a probably unrelated gif .

I can *possibly* tweak that to switch that heuristic to use the first *jpg* image instead, but it still might be wrong.

Since it's been a few years since I touched that code, yeah, a link to the file in a PM would help test that theory (it's encrypted, I can't do anything with it except look at the metadata. If you want to be extra-paranoid and/or you're relying on public storage, put it in a passworded archive, and delete it as soon as I confirm I got it).
Given the encrypted book is OK I don't have a problem attaching that. I had thought you needed the decrypted version. In fact here are two for you.

I am also unsure if you can generalize from two cases, but be my guest. Another thought might be that perhaps in the case of a magazine that the largest image you find is the cover image.

As I noted, if there is a way to run this manually from the KindleUnpack output perhaps it is unnecessary to tweak the code. I am assuming that I can replace a cover in the cache with the proper one and have it stick in that case.

Dave

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-11-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed attached files ;) -- NiLuJe
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #3801
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@dhdurgee:

Got it, thanks .

Try replacing linkss/bin/kindleunpack.py with this version, the approach I described earlier appears to do the trick here .
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #3802
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
@dhdurgee:

Got it, thanks .

Try replacing linkss/bin/kindleunpack.py with this version, the approach I described earlier appears to do the trick here .
Worked as expected here as well. Thanks for your quick support. I will let you know if I encounter any other problems.

Dave
Old 10-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #3803
Jacksaur
Jacksaur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
With some searching, am I correct in assuming that the Cover feature is disabled for Periodicals by default, and only possible to enable with KUAL? Or is there a way I could toggle it on manually?
Jacksaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #3804
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Jacksaur: Your assumption is indeed correct, but you can do everything the KUAL extension does manually. Here, the only thing it does is a simple:

Code:
touch /mnt/us/linkss/periodicals
(i.e., create a file named "periodicals", no extension, in the linkss folder).

Note that current snapshots have better handling of periodicals covers.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #3805
Jacksaur

Works like a dream, thanks! By snapshot, do you mean the file you provided for the guy before me? I've already transferred it over if it's that.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #3806
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I meant those packages, which are wildly more up to date, and indeed include the aforementioned fix .
Old 10-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #3807
Jacksaur

Hmm, the installation fails for me, unless that's part of the process? I noticed some text mentioning the hack on the install screen but didn't quite catch it. I'm on a Kindle 3rd gen and using the k2_dx_k3 install file.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #3808
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The snapshots can only be installed through MRPI (mainly because it saves a tremendous amount of storage space, and essentially removes the "hey, I used the wrong file for my device" issue), which might be the problem here .
Old 11-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #3809
Fewns
Fewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enough

Device: PW2
Hi,
i think the screensavers hack got slightly broken with FW 5.10.1.1 (on PW2);

From what i can gather (from the backup folder) the screensaver files have been previously named:
"bg_medium_ss00.png"
and now need to be named:
"bg_ss00.png"

manually renaming will get reverted by the hack though;
Fewns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #3810
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Fewns: Yep, that's been the case since FW 5.5, which seems to indicate you've reinstalled an old version of the hack after the update, and not the latest snapshots .

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet