Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Rapid page turns

Hello. I used to be very satisfied with my Kobo aura h2o, but ever since I bought the paperwhite 3, I've been using exclusively the latter to read; primarily due to its rapid page turns experience.

The aura h2o was sluggish in comparison. I don't know if that problem is universal or not, but I've been yearning for a device with P3's fast response coupled with the font options of Kobo. Is the Kobo Clara the e-reader I've been looking for? RSVP and thanks in advance.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I only find highlight /annotation faster on the PW3 vs original Aura H2O. I mostly use the Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I seem to recall that kepubs are quicker than epubs? Are you using kepubs?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Are you sideloading your own epub files by chance?

Installing the KoboTouchExtended plugin in Calibre and using that to send your books to the Kobo in its snative 'Kepub' format will noticeably improve the responsiveness of page turns on the kobo.

(Alterntatives, like the stand alone Kepub converter, can also be used to accomplish the same thing.)

Recent firmware releases of the past year or so have a fast page flip mode by pressing/holding the bottom corners, if that's what you mean.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Luffy,

When it comes to Kobo touch-related things whilst reading a book, you'll get a smoother, faster response if you're reading a kepub rather than a standard epub. This includes normal page turns and highlighting/annotations.

I often read in this forum that, with recent Kobo firmware versions, standard epubs are "faster than they used to be". That may well be true but there is still a clear difference IMO.

In addition a fairly new Kobo feature is "Quick Page Turns" which lets you zip through pages by pressing and holding in the bottom corners. This is only available for kepubs.

If you've still got your H2O you could test it out for yourself with the latest firmware without needing to buy a new ClaraHD. Also, I think the Clara may have a faster processor than the H2O but don't quote me on that. Technical specs are not my forte.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I seem to recall that kepubs are quicker than epubs? Are you using kepubs?
No, I'm using plain epubs.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Also, I think the Clara may have a faster processor than the H2O but don't quote me on that. Technical specs are not my forte.
Nope, same processor (1GHz Freescale i.MX6 Solo Lite). Even the Forma still uses it. Pity they haven't upgraded to the i.MX7 by now...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Are you sideloading your own epub files by chance?

Installing the KoboTouchExtended plugin in Calibre and using that to send your books to the Kobo in its snative 'Kepub' format will noticeably improve the responsiveness of page turns on the kobo.

(Alterntatives, like the stand alone Kepub converter, can also be used to accomplish the same thing.)

Recent firmware releases of the past year or so have a fast page flip mode by pressing/holding the bottom corners, if that's what you mean.
I'm indeed sideloading most of my books. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Luffy,

When it comes to Kobo touch-related things whilst reading a book, you'll get a smoother, faster response if you're reading a kepub rather than a standard epub. This includes normal page turns and highlighting/annotations.

I often read in this forum that, with recent Kobo firmware versions, standard epubs are "faster than they used to be". That may well be true but there is still a clear difference IMO.

In addition a fairly new Kobo feature is "Quick Page Turns" which lets you zip through pages by pressing and holding in the bottom corners. This is only available for kepubs.

If you've still got your H2O you could test it out for yourself with the latest firmware without needing to buy a new ClaraHD. Also, I think the Clara may have a faster processor than the H2O but don't quote me on that. Technical specs are not my forte.
Thanks for clearing a lot of things up . Almost every major e-reader share a 1GHz chip, afaik. But that's the extent of my knowledge.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not using the same chip, at all. The Clara and the Forma share the latest e-ink controller used by the Oasis 2 and the PW4, and it does noticeably help them close the gap with Kindles, at least as far as how the screen is driven, which is kind of important .

(The Oasis 2 did move to an i.MX7D, unlike the Forma. I have no idea how well that setup is exploited by the Kindle though, except in a generic sense that the Kindle software would be much more multi-core friendly than the Kobo's. But the 7D is a weird setup in that regard, so, eh. The "big" A7 processor in the combo is generally slower than the A9 we're used to, but it's potentially clocked higher, which possibly counteracts that... I wouldn't obsess too much over it, though.).

That doesn't negate the recommendation to keep to KePubs, because otherwise, yes, you'll feel the difference coming from a Kindle.

A good benchmark is now KOReader in the default Portrait orientation, since I unified how we behave on Kobo to match what the Kindles do, because it's best for performance. And despite that, the H2O still feels worse than my old PW2, just because the screen updates are jankier. On the other hand, the Forma is perfectly snappy, and that despite only being marginally faster in terms of processing speed (by that I mean a couple of milliseconds of difference, despite a higher pixel count, which does mean it is actually faster than the H2O on the processing front, despite using a similar CPU).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-13-2019 at 11:21 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Not using the same chip, at all. The Clara and the Forma share the latest e-ink controller used by the Oasis 2 and the PW4, and it does noticeably help them close the gap with Kindles, at least as far as how the screen is driven, which is kind of important .
Quite Interesting. I thought they all used the integrated EPD controller in the SOC. But they use external controllers, I take it?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
They do use the integrated EPDC. There's just been a couple of revisions of 'em. Each Kobo generation ("Mark") used a newer chip. While the difference between Mark 5 (the H2O, still using an i.MX50x) and the Mark 6 (which moved to the i.MX6SL), was less tangible, the move to Mark 7 and the i.MX6SLL was much more noticeable.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
No, I'm using plain epubs.
Have you tried rashkae's suggestion?
Old 05-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Have you tried rashkae's suggestion?
Yes I have, to the best of my abilities. I don't think I have had the desired result. It's OK, thanks for trying to help me everyone.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Yes I have, to the best of my abilities. I don't think I have had the desired result. It's OK, thanks for trying to help me everyone.
When you go to Books (on the Kobo), do you see "KOBO EPUB" for the book you transferred using Calibre?