Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
How does dictionary work in PB360?

Hi. Have a question about dictionary in PB360. Is it any good? How can you use it? To look up word do i have to open up the file with it or do i simply need to highlight the word? Thanks in advance for helping me out.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardgainer View Post
Hi. Have a question about dictionary in PB360. Is it any good? How can you use it? To look up word do i have to open up the file with it or do i simply need to highlight the word? Thanks in advance for helping me out.
You can load various dictionaries on the device. Most of available dictionaries are to/from Russian or Ukrainian.
There are some other dictionaries that users converted contributed. Most widely used En/En dictionary is out-of-copyright dictionary from 1913.
I have more than 10 interesting dictionaries on my device at the moment, but I hardly ever use them

You can either start a dictionary application from main menu, or you activate dictionary from inside the book and highlight the word.

With PocketBook 302 you can use stylus to select the word very quickly.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
You go in dictionary mode by pushing a button or call up via menu, then highlight the word, get the meaning, then go on reading or look for another word.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The dictionary lookup mechanism works pretty well. The main problem is the lack of good dictionaries for it. For English, as already mentioned, you're really constrained to those in the public domain. One cannot (to the best of my knowledge) buy any of the best-known commercial English dictionaries (eg Chambers, Collins, Oxford, Webster's) in a suitable format for the PB. This is a considerable disadvantage if dictionary lookup is important to you, and you'd perhaps be better off buying a reader which has a good dictionary built-in, such as the Kindle, Sony, or iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The dictionary lookup mechanism works pretty well. The main problem is the lack of good dictionaries for it. For English, as already mentioned, you're really constrained to those in the public domain. One cannot (to the best of my knowledge) buy any of the best-known commercial English dictionaries (eg Chambers, Collins, Oxford, Webster's) in a suitable format for the PB. This is a considerable disadvantage if dictionary lookup is important to you, and you'd perhaps be better off buying a reader which has a good dictionary built-in, such as the Kindle, Sony, or iPad.
We'll sell Lingvo dictionaries in the appropriate format pretty soon. They will, alas, be quite expensive.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 08-22-2010 at 01:04 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
hardgainer
Invisible Man
hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.hardgainer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook360,Kindle K4
Tnx for replies guys. I am considering the purchase of the ereader and honestly i can't think of anything better than pb360. But as i am not native english speaker i need a good dictionary. Good and easy accessible.
hardgainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Tnx for replies guys. I am considering the purchase of the ereader and honestly i can't think of anything better than pb360. But as i am not native english speaker i need a good dictionary. Good and easy accessible.
Well, some of the free ones aren't that old. This repository has a Collegiate Merriam-Webster from 2003, and other nifty ones. You can see how to convert the format here. It worked for me quite fine good luck!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Please ignore

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-23-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: copyright reasons
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote