Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Language learning

I own a Kindle, hence my frame of reference is limited to that platform.

Is there a lot of foreign language learning materials out there for E-readers? I can see how a Kindle DX in landscape mode with side-by-side display formatting, combined with the built-in audio formats would actually be close to the optimal language learning "book"
The keyboard enables you to enter answers to quizzes. Unless you answer a certain percentage correct, you won't be able to move on to the next level. If you answer certain questions, say grammar related, completely wrong, the book automatically returns you to the grammar section.
Side-by-side display will give you the text in your native language and in the foreign. Or you can run a conversation, with annotations on the side next to it.

I imagine that the iPad must be even more advanced, with video capabilities, than a Kindle. How is it on other platforms? Are there products, like I vainly tried to describe, available out there? Do they work? Has anyone tried learning a foreign language through an E-reader?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've tried free iPad apps in German, Japanese and Mandarin. They're pretty cool. They have flash card-type tests, phrases, simple sentences and such. I've studied German and Japanese, and speak two other Chinese dialects, so I have a bit of background to work with. I'm not sure how well the free apps would work if you were starting from scratch. The apps I've loaded are lightweights. I'd guess that the full-blown apps that you pay for are much better. There's a big selection in the iTunes app store.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Is it possible for you to upload a screen image of the Japanese app? (that is what I teach)
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is it possible for you to upload a screen image of the Japanese app? (that is what I teach)
I don't know how to post a screen shot on this forum. Is it easy? I'm a tech bonehead.

Maybe you could PM me an e-mail address and I could e-mail you screen shots?

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-28-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle would not support something like answering quizzes interactively. A Kindle book is just a book, with hyperlinks supported, but nothing to support filling in forms, examining responses, etc. That could be done on a Kindle only via the web browser, which is slow, and primitive.

If you like that sort of thing, software on a pc would be far better. Maybe a netbook, laptop, or something else portable, if that is important.

I do like the Pimsleur audio (CD, SD card, etc.) classes for getting a basic working vocabulary, but I don't like that there is no reading involved. I like to combine CDs or tapes with other workbooks, grammars, etc. A good book on how to learn languages is "How to Learn a Foreign Language", by Graham Fuller. Full of good advice.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard

The cool thing about language apps on iPad:

Portable
Instantly on
Audio and visual tests
Audio pronouncers
Touchscreen testing, no mousing around
Tap endless times on the same pronouncers if you like
Easily move within the app, to get to any part

I remember having to go to language labs in college, just to get the audio part, which offered stunted rewinding and such, lol. With iPad (or comparable tablet), everything is on your device.

With the free Mandarin app I loaded, you can even tap to play simple sentences to strangers, say if you're stuck and need to find a restroom, lol.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-28-2010 at 12:49 PM.