Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Nook #4 on Time's Tech Buyer's Guide for 2009

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...937994,00.html

Although the list itself doesn't mention holiday gifts, that's what it's aimed at. Link from CNN says '20 hot gadgets for holiday gifting'. I doubt if the fact that the Nook is 'hot' is news to anybody here, but thought you might enjoy the list.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
simply amazing what people are willing to say without having the product in hand
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
simply amazing what people are willing to say without having the product in hand
My thought exactly.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I expect eBook readers of all kinds to be a hot Christmas gift this season!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Strangely, that thought hadn't occurred to me. Possibly because I don't intend to buy one so all I'm really interested in is the talk & tech. (Why won't I buy one? Because I prefer, as much as possible, all-in-one functionality for my mobile device. Not necessarily when traveling, but for day-to-day carrying around in my pocket.)

But you're absolutely right-how can it rank so high when it isn't even out yet? It's sad, in a way. I dropped out of the stock market entirely over 10 years ago. When I started you could succeed if you invested intelligently-then speculation took over & now success or failure is determined by rumors. The same seems to be true about 'hot' objects. It's all about the buzz now, not about anything real. Sad.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Wonder if they'll be one of this post-season's hottest returns.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
*snicker*
Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
It's basically a K2 that reads different formats - and has a cute little color screen to show your book covers. That makes it hot?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
JJoyce
JJoyce began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I expect eBook readers of all kinds to be a hot Christmas gift this season!
Very true.

Just happened to run into the district manager for my local Best Buy, I guess on one of his inspection tours of local stores.

I was in the store playing with the Sony ereaders on display and he noticed, struck up a conversation about them (apparently he's a fan of dedicated devices as well.)

Might be old news, but Best Buy's looking at getting in to e-readers in a bigger way. Said they have a couple more models from other manufacturers they're planning to bring in to stores before Christmas.

Most surprising comment was an off-hand remark that Best Buy corporate is in conversations with Amazon about possibly bringing the Kindles in to stores.

If it happened, it'd solve one of my problems with buying a Kindle -- the not getting my hands on it first. Of course, I'd still have a problem with Amazon's taking the lion's share of profits on newspaper subscriptions and related lack of a Dallas Morning News subscription, so....
JJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It's basically a K2 that reads different formats - and has a cute little color screen to show your book covers. That makes it hot?
Given that I'm only able to consider what 'reviewers' have state, yeah, pretty much.

Of course, I bought a broken-screen-used K2 (eBay, $35), which, it turned out still had four MONTHS left on its warranty. I'm getting my free replacement today!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
And the K2 is basically a Sony Reader that reads different formats - and has a cute little keyboard for searching.

But seriously, why are Kindle owners so threatened by the Nook?
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Trumpeting the latest vaporware in Tech? Say it 'aint so! lol

Also, the PS3 and a heating vest are a "new Techie gadgets?" Wow, the Time audience must be sadly behind the, um, times.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
And the K2 is basically a Sony Reader that reads different formats - and has a cute little keyboard for searching.

But seriously, why are Kindle owners so threatened by the Nook?
speaking for myself, we aren't, we are dismayed. those of us with the K1s believe in the importance of the replaceable battery and SD card and haven't gotten over that since the K2 came out. I think a lot of us were ready to look at/think about a different reader and were initially pretty excited about the Nook. speaking for myself only (but I get the distinct impression that others share this view), the "sharing" bait and switch was pretty tacky. we've gotten used to the straight shooter manner in which we have been treated by Amazon and like to think that all ebook sellers are going to treat us similarly.

and then there is one in particular Nook cheerleader on this board that pretty much gets on every Kindle owners' nerves

that's my .02, YMMV
Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I wonder if B&N pay publicists or enter into advertising agreements with the magazine for this kind of thing or if tech journalists get so high on the kool aid about upcoming gadgets they put them on the lists without holding on in their hand.

This is exactly how the Palm Pre was defined as the iPhone killer 6 months before it hit the market. Then it hit the market and tech journalists realised it was a piece of crap and no threat to Apple in any way.

I think the Nook looks great but we shouldn't proclaim it as an essential buy until it's released and people do real reviews on it.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Trumpeting the latest vaporware in Tech? Say it 'aint so! lol
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote