Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
fantasy/dark fiction series recommendations, please!

i'm looking for new fantasy and/or dark fiction recommendations. i like plots, interesting characters and/or action. something to sink my teeth into, as it were. not into books that are primarily romance or military based, and absolutely hate vampires who live in pods.

have already read and loved the sun sword series by michelle west, also love song of fire and ice, like all the eddings books, love the lloyd alexanders, enjoyed the charlaine harrises, anita blakes, the oz books, tanya huff's blood books, the various mercedes lackey series, and all the edward eagers. ah, and let's not forget neil gaiman, although his series' are 2 books long each - not enough!

i was enjoying an early terry goodkind but alas - his graphic and quite long description of torture was just too much for me, the only time violence in a book ever overwhelmed me, so i guess it was very well written.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
Have you tried Elizabeth Haydons Symphony of ages?

That has intresting characters and plot twists
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i haven't. which is the first book? it doesn't seem that they are listed by number.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
How about Simon Green's Nightside series? or Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have enjoyed the various series written by Richard Tuttle, which are available at Fictionwise. I've read every one of his books except the newest which was just released (I've purchased it, but haven't gotten to it yet). They aren't "dark" fantasy, but they are fantasy. They are very-well written and engrossing.

I'm currently enjoying Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar series of books. Each book is really standalone, the only real connection being that the storeis take place in Ethshar. Again, these aren't "dark" fantasy in the true sense but they are well written and very enjoyable. I've read 6 of the 7 books and will be beginning the seventh tonight.

A third good option is Alastair Archibald's Chronicles of Grimm Dragonblaster series. I've read all of the books and waiting for the final book to be released in November. Again, they are not "dark" fantasy but they are well written and engrossing.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i haven't. which is the first book? it doesn't seem that they are listed by number.
That's the main reason I use that Fantastic Fiction site, to figure out which order series books come in They list them in published order. Elizabeth Haydon

Recommendation wise, I point you toward this thread. Seems to have lots in it being recommended just like your preferences.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-20-2009 at 08:58 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Elizabeth Haydon is OK, but I felt the series kinda degraded towards the end. There's a duology by Alma Alexander you would probably like (Changer of Days/The Hidden Queen). Also, Trudi Canavan's Magician's Guild trilogy (ooh, and I just checked Goodreads to see if I got that right, and the next book is up on there, due out in May. Yippee!)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Have you looked into the Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara series? There are, I believe, 6 or 7 books in the series.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Joe Abercrombie

It is dark, gritty, plenty of action, plenty of surprises...
There are quite a few battles, but they are not the 20 page type....

Look it up here, there is a long extract.
http://www.joeabercrombie.com/the_blade_itself.htm
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
I've been recommended a couple of times "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I haven't read it but it's going to be my next ebook purchase. Note that it's the first in a new series so you'll have wait for the rest.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Fantasy series:

George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (ebooks available)
Lynn Flewelling, Nightrunner series (dtb only)
Ian Irvine, The View from the Mirror series (books two and four on ebooks.com)
Janny Wurts & Raymond E. Feist Empire trilogy (dtb only)
Stephen King, Dark Tower series (ebooks)
Steph Swainston, The Year of Our War series (first two as ebooks)
Scott Lynch, Gentlemen Bastards (ebooks)
Louise Cooper, Time Master trilogy (dtb only)

If you want to read stuff outside of series, I strongly suggest you go hunt down all the books ever nominated for the World Fantasy Award. I did this many years ago, and keep up with it, and I have been richly rewarded.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion cycle (starting w/ Elric of Melniboné) is a classic of this genre --- not sure if available as ebooks or no, but there was a TOR blog posting on the Hawkmoon books being available thusly (w/ colour illustrations) presently.

Dunsany's writings, esp. _The Charwoman's Shadow_ should be available as ebooks.

Lindsay's _A Voyage to Arcturus_ qualifies by some standards and is also available as an ebook.

Gail van Asten's writings are interesting, esp. _The Blind Knight_

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiren View Post
I've been recommended a couple of times "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I haven't read it but it's going to be my next ebook purchase. Note that it's the first in a new series so you'll have wait for the rest.
I read it when it came out in hardcover. It was quite good, but he has yet to deliver on the second book. It was due 2 years ago. There has been some speculation that he may never complete the next book.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
As much as I enjoyed Moorcock's early eternal champion series (so many!) his newest-yet-related trilogy is even better, starting with "The Dreamthief's Daughter." I may be blinded by past reading but I do not feel it necessary to read any prior books to enjoy this trilogy.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
I've just finished The Briar King by Greg Keyes, which was one of Suvudu's Free Books last month. (http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/) I liked it enough that I think I'll go on to the second book of the series (it's a four book series, the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, already completed and all are in ebook format - mobi format at Diesel ebooks are $7 each).

For those interested in reading it and aren't already familiar with the history of the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island, you might want to check it out before starting the book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony). The book doesn't have anything to do with the Lost Colony per se, but the author expects the reader to be aware of it.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote