Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
rick98761
rick98761 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
converting .lit to mobi

I just got my kindle about two hours ago. I had about 10 books I already had in the .lit format converted to mobi using calibre. If I viewed them in Calibre it would show that it moved all indentations, if I opened them in Stanza they would remain. I just figured I would see what happened when I put them on the Kindle. Well the indentions do not show up on the kindle. Does anyone have any tips on how I should convert these books so I do not loose indentations? Thanks for your help.
rick98761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
I just got my kindle about two hours ago. I had about 10 books I already had in the .lit format converted to mobi using calibre. If I viewed them in Calibre it would show that it moved all indentations, if I opened them in Stanza they would remain. I just figured I would see what happened when I put them on the Kindle. Well the indentions do not show up on the kindle. Does anyone have any tips on how I should convert these books so I do not loose indentations? Thanks for your help.
have you viewed these eBooks with Mobipocket Reader for Windows? If not, do so and if the problem is not there, then there is a problem with the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
If I have a .mobi with troublesome formatting, I use the mobi2html command line tool (part of the mobiperl package). From there you can either make the changes in the html itself, if you're comfortable doing that, or you can copy and paste into Word, make whatever changes you want, then rebuild using Mobipocket Creator.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
twister
Enthusiast
twister began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 and 2
I have converted many .lit files to mobi with indentations that appear in my Kindle 2.

Here is what I do in Calibre when I convert an e-book:
1. Check "Remove spacing between paragraphs" in Look & Feel.
2. Change Source profile to Kindle and Destination profile to Kindle in Page Setup.

Good luck!
twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
If I have a .mobi with troublesome formatting, I use the mobi2html command line tool (part of the mobiperl package). From there you can either make the changes in the html itself, if you're comfortable doing that, or you can copy and paste into Word, make whatever changes you want, then rebuild using Mobipocket Creator.
But you cannot be sure that mobi2html will actually work. It fails on the higher compression. So to be sure your method works every time, use mobi2oeb which is part of Calibre. Then you know what you'll be getting and can go from there.

Which legally purchased Mobipocket eBooks have you have formatting issues with?
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

how come with i use calibre 0.6 beta to convert .lit to mobi i get this error:

"Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found."

anyone get this error before? when i click on detail it just says the name of the title.
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

actually when i open the file in calibre it says its a LRF format. is that the same?

nvm. i am not sure why it says .lit on the file then LRF in calibre. i know what i gotta do to convert them to mobi on mac. thanks!

Last edited by ayman07; 07-05-2009 at 12:33 PM.
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Where did you get this file?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman07 View Post
how come with i use calibre 0.6 beta to convert .lit to mobi i get this error:

"Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found."

anyone get this error before? when i click on detail it just says the name of the title.
That looks like the error you get when you try to convert a book with DRM. If you bought this book from an online bookstore, it probably has DRM which would have to be "dealt with" before you could convert it.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote