Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #22981
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
X-Rays went fine. They didn't find anything in there. But needed to make sure.
Well at least you now know that you do not have any metal in your head.

As for not paying, you know they will send you a bill.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #22982
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, I just thought it was weird. Looking forward to the bill. $1,000 every month and my parents insurance covers pretty much nothing.

Oh yeah, and congrats on your job covingtoncat73!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #22983
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Great news Jessica! As a life-long migraine patient, I have had many head scans ... with the attendant lectures on metal ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #22984
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Oh, I have so much Barnes & Noble rage right now! Though, to be fair, it is more Meetup.com rage.

So, Now that I am working a 4-day week with no commute, I thought I might explore my writing hobby again and joined a writer's group on meetup.com. Well, one of them was having a book signing at the B&N. I'd never met any of these people and didn't know the first thing about the book the lady had written and was plugging at B&N but, even though I'm feeling a bit under the weather, I decided to give it a go. That was a mistake.

Well, I went in and saw her with the books. I didn't tell her I was part of the group or anything. I quickly discovered, through reading the cover blurb describing the book and talking to the lady, that the book, though supposedly a legal thriller, was pushing a political agenda totally anathema to mine. I don't want to go into detail as I don't want to start a debate on the issue here. I just smiled, complimented her on the cover, said it looked interesting, then went to walk around the store without looking for any of the group members or giving the author any indication of how I really felt.

It gets worse. There were no graphic novels. They are keeping them behind the checkout counter now. Excuse me but the point of going to a brick and mortar bookstore is to be able to browse and, truthfully, the only things I'm likely to purchase at a B&N bookstore are graphic novels, trinkets, or really-marked-down hardcovers.

Case in point I was about to buy a trade paperback that sounded interesting. It was $16. I am glad I checked on my Kindle app. The Kindle version was less than $4.

I know this may all make me seem like a terrible person but I am a little under the weather and I also just left a job of 7 years for a new one and having anxiety issues, so I'm pretty on edge.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #22985
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem with graphic novels is that you can just go in there, read them, and then walk out. You could do that with a book, but it's less likely you will. I think they also do it because of the kiddos who will just do that.

I have also found B&N quite expensive too. I think just about EVERYTHING in there is cheaper elsewhere. It's a nice atmosphere anyway.
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #22986
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem with graphic novels is that you can just go in there, read them, and then walk out. You could do that with a book, but it's less likely you will. I think they also do it because of the kiddos who will just do that.

I have also found B&N quite expensive too. I think just about EVERYTHING in there is cheaper elsewhere. It's a nice atmosphere anyway.
I didn't even think of that but , if they are going to do it that way, I might as well just browse and buy on Amazon.

You are right about the nice atmosphere. I like that it has a coffeehouse in it.

I did have better luck at a "Booze and Books" meetup that met at the loveliest pub on the Lakefront. I really enjoyed that one and the people I met there.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #22987
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I know this may all make me seem like a terrible person but I am a little under the weather and I also just left a job of 7 years for a new one and having anxiety issues, so I'm pretty on edge.
Nothing terrible about that. Despite the fact that a minority might come in and read the graphic novels, hiding them from everyone is just silly - reminds me of early attitudes of the music companies to digital downloads. Keep that up, and B&N will be going the way of Borders.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #22988
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today Netflix finally became available in the Netherlands. I would like to be able to watch on the tv in my bedroom but it's "dumb" tv (no apps). Since I also want a blu-ray player I thought to combine the two. However, no manufacturer lists Netflix as an available app yet.

I did a chat with Samsung customer service and the rep didn't know which ones have/will get the Netflix app. He advised me to ask in the store for a blu-ray player with the latest firmware (as if they would know this in the store!) and then basically hope for the best.

I also emailed LG, when you type "Netflix" into the search option on their Dutch website you get a list of blu-ray player and tv's, yet the app isn't listed in the specifications where all the other available apps are listed.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #22989
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've been listening to songs that were popular in 1913:

All aboard for Dixieland

Danny Boy

The Spaniard That Blighted My Life - Al Jolson

When the Midnight Choo-Choo Leaves for Alabam' by Collins & Harlan

So what makes this a rant? Could you imagine these songs and the manner in which they were played 100 years ago being popular in today's world? Of course not. Styles change, and what was popular one hundred years ago sounds quaint today.

I just saw Star Trek: Into Darkness. Guess what? 200 years from now, rap/hip-hop will still be popular, and the clubs and bars of the 23rd century will still be playing electronica/disco music.

Give me a break.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #22990
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
With you here. As far as possible developments in futuristic (music) tastes goes; the solution in "The fifth element" was IMHO a refreshing change...
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #22991
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm having one of THOSE days in which everything either doesn't work, refuses to work, breaks, goes wacko for no reason, or just won't play nice. Think I'll have an early lunch and try to reboot my brain to lower my blood pressure.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #22992
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Had my MRI today. Went fine. Was shorter than I thought it would be. Went in there head first of course. They did a contrast and injected me with the stuff to see things better.

So this morning, after getting those x-rays already. They called and asked about the stuff that could be in my head. We had to tell them that were were just there the other week and already went with the tests to make sure.

When I got there, the lady again asked me about the stuff in my head. And they were about to do x-rays again to make sure. Until again, I told them that I already had done them the previous week.

So I go in there, do the MRI, do the contrast bit, check out, did a downpayment, and left.

I just got back to the house less than a hour ago. They just called me 10 minutes ago to tell me that they need to REDO one part of the test.

So I'm going back in on Monday because I can't go in on Saturday due to the fact that I have class all morning and afternoon.

I am just speechless. I want this to be over with already.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #22993
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm having one of THOSE days in which everything either doesn't work, refuses to work, breaks, goes wacko for no reason, or just won't play nice. Think I'll have an early lunch and try to reboot my brain to lower my blood pressure.
Yes. It is as today and not tomorrow is Friday the 13th for me. Ugh.

Anyway, a minor vent right now involves genealogy and, specifically, Ancestry.com. Honestly! It is the clunkiest, most non-user-friendly thing I can think of! I like heritagequest much better but they only have the old censi, not all the other stuff. Put that together with an ancestress with a fairly common name, Catherine Donegan, and you're getting nowhere. I am not even going to try to find out about her daughter in law and my greatx3...Catherine Johnson.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #22994
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Had my MRI today. Went fine. Was shorter than I thought it would be. Went in there head first of course. They did a contrast and injected me with the stuff to see things better.

So this morning, after getting those x-rays already. They called and asked about the stuff that could be in my head. We had to tell them that were were just there the other week and already went with the tests to make sure.

When I got there, the lady again asked me about the stuff in my head. And they were about to do x-rays again to make sure. Until again, I told them that I already had done them the previous week.

So I go in there, do the MRI, do the contrast bit, check out, did a downpayment, and left.

I just got back to the house less than a hour ago. They just called me 10 minutes ago to tell me that they need to REDO one part of the test.

So I'm going back in on Monday because I can't go in on Saturday due to the fact that I have class all morning and afternoon.

I am just speechless. I want this to be over with already.
That sounds awful! I hope the results come back clear.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #22995
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Jessica - hang in there ..... it will be worth it to FINALLY get some definite results!

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness