Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
2012 Arthur C Clarke award goes to...

Jane Rogers for The Testament of Jesse Lamb.

Guardian Article

Anybody read it? Yet another for my TR list.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No, have not read or heard of her but karma for posting this!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
sounds sorta similar to the movie Children of Men.

"In 2027, in a chaotic world in which humans can no longer procreate, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea, where her child's birth may help scientists save the future of humankind."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
My SF&F Book Club read it last year. (Spoiler-free review below).

When thinking about the novel, I find myself separating the Voice from the Plot.

Rogers very accurately portrays the voice of a 16 year old girl. Of course, I didn't like teenage girls' self-absorbed melodrama even when I was one. But hats off to Rogers, it was done well.

As for the plot, I quite liked the overall concept, even if the science was... vague, to put it charitably. (My prion lecturer had a distinctive dramatic sigh whenever someone said something dumb. I kept hearing it as I read...). I thought the author considered well how society would react to an extinction event - everyone wouldn't react the same way. There'd be people who would be convinced everything would be OK, people who used it as an reason to break with society entirely, people who would demonise the afflicted, people who would view them as martyrs... in summary, People Are Weird.

Of course, what most readers will focus on is the main character's Moral Dilemma. It was an interesting take on a theme common in SF&F, I'd say.

If I was asked to recommend a dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel to someone, I'd give them Day of the Triffids. But if I was asked to give something to a Judy Blume fan (is she still popular? I'm getting old...) I'd pick this book and hope it lays a breadcrumb trail to SF&F.

Does this book "deserve" the Clarke Award? I dunno. I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't choose it as a Desert Island Book.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The premise is compelling to me.

I looked it up on Amazon and I was surprised to see only one review, but then I notice the book hasn't even come out yet in the US. It comes out on May 15 in paperback and kindle. No hardcover? Is that strange?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert