Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Question Brand new Kobo ereaders for $79.99 a good price?

Is this a good price for brand new in the box Kobo ereader? Just wondering since on the Kobo site the black one is $139.99 still. Thinking about gifting a few out.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The lowest price that I have been able to find thus far has been $100 from Borders.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So it is a good price then? Sweet, I have the opportunity to buy quite a few of them at the $79.99 price.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the re-seller is willing to take a dive on a product I'm all for it. Take it but make sure that you have some sort of procedure if something is wrong with the Kobo when it arrives. Also make sure that you do what my pals in the IT industry call exceptance testing: take the first year that you have the Kobo and try to make it fail by 1) leaving it on all night; 2) use every menu option; 3) upload books and remove boosk from the Kobo; 4) Do everything that you can think of in the first year to make the Kobo fail. If it passes then you have a great product and if it fails make use of the warranty that typically extends to one year only.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Don't suppose you can share a link to where these are available? I would love to get one for my mom.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Grimm
DRM killer

Actually it's a local buy. All new in box. Going to take a look at them tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Actually it's a local buy. All new in box. Going to take a look at them tomorrow.
I believe it is at all Borders B&M stores that are closing. It's the clearance/going-out-of-business price.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard

If you are correct john F, I would have no qualms about buying one at that price if I was in the market for an electronic reader of which I am not.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was browsing in a border's store (that was closing) Saturday. They had a sign that listed all the clearance specials. It said $20 off the sale price of a Kobo reader. It looked like the sale price was $99. So I assumed the price was $79.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
The only concern I would have would be to make sure that these are the wireless Kobo readers. Not that the original ones are not good readers, but I would guess that they are not quite as good a deal at $80... particularly if you are planning on buying multiple ones. Also, they may not be supported as long as the latest version of the Kobo is.
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I can't of course speak for Georgia but here in Ontario, Best Buy put a load of Kobo Readers on sale but they were all refurbished. I think the price may have been $49 but could have easily been $79, my memory is not so good. These were not WiFi units.
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
The only concern I would have would be to make sure that these are the wireless Kobo readers. Not that the original ones are not good readers, but I would guess that they are not quite as good a deal at $80... particularly if you are planning on buying multiple ones. Also, they may not be supported as long as the latest version of the Kobo is.
I bought my wifi at a borders a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to me that all they had were the Sony 350(IIRC) and the Kobo wifi which they had displayed on a (ROFLMAO) folding table(this is in a store not on the to be axed list yet!). Further they ONLY had the black wifis(not likely to be getting any more stock ATM either I suspect), which was fine by me as bright colors are irritating in brightly lit situations. (It's even worse with Sony who insists on sticking as much of that junky chromish looking plastic on their products as much as possible, not so bad on their readers but it was horrific on their clies.)

Too bad that I'm past 14d or I'd be tempted to return #1 and go to another local store on the to-be-axed-list for a $79 wifi... actually as the casing of the kobo is so cheap(low build quality, not to mention all the basic reader features missing in the fw, borked USB xfers, etc.), they should've been at $99 to begin with. (My case started to pop apart upper right hand corner(side) near the SD slot... only reason for it to happen that I can think of is from when I put the SD card back in after sideloading some content since USB xfers seem to be borked for me... case popped back together easily, but yeesh... good thing the wifi is serving primarily as a backup for my PRS-505...)

Not bad though for $79, esp IF they get their act together and cough a good fw update with at least bug fixes AND SOME of the missing reader functionality, e.g. GOTO PAGE #, BOOKMARKS(?!), some sane sorting options, "I'm Reading" management, etc.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote