Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Dragon books need suggestions

Okay I am in the mood for some books about dragons.

Anne McCaffrey is a old fav of mine, I have also read Mercedes Lackey, Donita Paul, Patricia Briggs, and some others.

Anyone have some suggestions for some good dragon stories? Hopefully by authors that I have not read yet?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Have you tried The Dragon And The George series by Gordon R. Dickson yet. Some are quite good. Also The Prophet Of Lamath by Robert Don Hughes is another really terrific read.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_dragons

Don't think all dragons are there, but at least it's a start
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Have you looked at the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Non-traditional dragons

If you're ready to go down some unexpected avenues, I'd recommend:
  • Lucius Shepard's "Griaule" novellas ("The Man Who Painted the Dragon Griaule," "The Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter," "Father of Stones," "Liar's House"). These chronicle the physical and psychic impacts of a giant (think in terms of miles) but hibernating dragon on the surrounding countryside.
  • Mike Resnick's Dragon America. What would the 1776 Revolutionary War have looked like if dragons were found to be native to North America?

Neither has a wizard, elf or unicorn to be found. If I recall correctly, no swordplay either.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Have you looked at the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini?
I started the first one and had to stop. His writing was so heavily influenced by McCaffrey, Lewis and Tolkein, it was weird for me to read it. I did not like it, which is funny because I love those authors.

I did love the movie though!

Amy
Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
Have you tried The Dragon And The George series by Gordon R. Dickson yet. Some are quite good. Also The Prophet Of Lamath by Robert Don Hughes is another really terrific read.

Was not able to find Gordon Dickson's Dragon book, nor Robert Don Hughes, though did find their wikipedia info.

Oh and I have also read E.E. Knights Dragon Avenger series.

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 02-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The following is very good:

DRAGON'S RING by Dave Freer (Baen Books)

I have not read it yet, but the following is a Victorian book of manners with dragons:

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton

I really liked this first in a series (Napoleonic Wars with dragons), but could not get involved in the rest of the series:

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

It isn't available as an ebook, but another excellent non-standard dragon book is:

Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Temeriare series by Naomi Novik is very good. I've read the first two and plan to read the 3rd soon.

Temeraire
1. Temeraire (2006)
2. The Throne of Jade (2006)
3. Black Powder War (2006)
4. Empire of Ivory (2007)
5. Victory of Eagles (2008)
6. Tongues of Serpents (2010)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Temeriare series by Naomi Novik is very good. I've read the first two and plan to read the 3rd soon.

Temeraire
1. Temeraire (2006)
Yes, Temeraire is the best!!
Can't wait for him to conquer the lands downunder!!

retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Elizabeth Haydon's series, which I can't think of the name right now. The first is "Rhapsody." Great series.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman have quite a few series.

The 2 Dragonlace trilogies (plus lots of others), War of Souls series, possible the Sovereign Stone series.

Margaret also has the Dragonvarld trilogy.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Was not able to find Gordon Dickson's Dragon book, nor Robert Don Hughes, though did find their wikipedia info.

Oh and I have also read E.E. Knights Dragon Avenger series.

Amy
Unfortuanately they do not seem to be available in e-book form. If you do not mind reading them in dead tree/pbook form you can order them here or haunt your favorite used bookstores.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ts=t&x=87&y=11
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Temeraire
1. Temeraire (2006)
I agree this is a very good series. I've read through all five currently available, bought them from Amazon in Kindle format.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-03-2010 at 10:49 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The following is very good:

DRAGON'S RING by Dave Freer (Baen Books)

I have not read it yet, but the following is a Victorian book of manners with dragons:

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton

I really liked this first in a series (Napoleonic Wars with dragons), but could not get involved in the rest of the series:

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

It isn't available as an ebook, but another excellent non-standard dragon book is:

Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy
Dragon's Ring isn't just good, it's very good (IMHO)—Highly Recommended.

I haven't read Tooth and Claw yet (thanks for the tip!). The Temeraire series is interesting (although I'm way behind in reading the books).

Tea with the Black Dragon is available in bits now—I recently purchased it over at Fictionwise (along with a bunch of other books by MacAvoy). Highly Recommended!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote