Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #16966
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
So far, The City & The City has been my favourite of Mieville's works. I was blown away by this novel, but it's very different from the others. I didn't feel like it was a fantasy as such, it was...

That's probably one of the reasons I loved it so much - I can't finish my sentences when trying to describe it.

I'll be reading Embassytown at some stage this year.
+1 for Mieville in general, and +2 for 'The City & The City'
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #16967
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- Joyland by Stephen King (paperback) - Not bad, but I was expecting something scarier. Not scary at all, but it spends a lot of time getting you invested in the characters.

Now I'm re-reading The Shining for the first time since 1997, to get ready for Doctor Sleep coming out in September.

Currently Reading:

- O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King (58%)
- Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (54%)
- The Shining by Stephen King (7%)
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #16968
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Mildred Wirt Benson) & Kerry Greenwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Clue of the Leaning Chimney was, as all of the Nancy Drew Mysteries seem to be, an enjoyable and nostalgic read.

Damocles turned out to be a really interesting, although a bit ponderous read. I enjoyed reading it a lot!

Now on to The Secret of the Wooden Lady (Nancy Drew #27) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred Wirt Benson) and Chasing Suspect Three (Sandy Reid Mysteries #4) by Rod Hoisington.
I really enjoyed reading The Secret of the Wooden Lady!

Chasing Suspect Three the 4th and last of the Sandy Reid Mysteries was just great and I sure hope that Rod Hoisington continues this series.

I've just started reading the next book of the Nancy Drew Mysteries The Clue of the Black Keys (Nancy Drew #28) by Carolyn Keene (Mildred Wirt Benson) and, as usual, am looking forward to it.

Recently there have been several posts in this thread concerning Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher #1) by Kerry Greenwood and these posts got me interested in possibly exploring the series. This is the first one and was available as a freebie on Amazon at the time of the afore-mentioned posts, so I grabbed a copy. Then I found a DVD (NetFlix) of an Australian TV series based on these books. So instead of reading the first book I got the first DVD of the TV series. It was quite enjoyable and now I'm going to start the series and try the first one.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #16969
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Recently there have been several posts in this thread concerning Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher #1) by Kerry Greenwood and these posts got me interested in possibly exploring the series. This is the first one and was available as a freebie on Amazon at the time of the afore-mentioned posts, so I grabbed a copy. Then I found a DVD (NetFlix) of an Australian TV series based on these books. So instead of reading the first book I got the first DVD of the TV series. It was quite enjoyable and now I'm going to start the series and try the first one.
It was the TV series (shown here in Canada on BC's Knowledge Network) that got me interested in Phryne Fisher. The series is excellent, and complements the books which stand alone even if you've watched the TV series.

Rumour has it that the TV Series will continue for at least one more season. I hope so, but only if the underlying stories continue to be written by Kerry Greenwood.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #16970
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Now I'm re-reading The Shining for the first time since 1997, to get ready for Doctor Sleep coming out in September.
I didn't know (or remember) about Doctor Sleep. I just climbed up to the top shelf of my bookshelf and see that I still have The Shining in hardback. I may have to do a reread, if Doctor Sleep turns out to be a good book.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #16971
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
It was the TV series (shown here in Canada on BC's Knowledge Network) that got me interested in Phryne Fisher. The series is excellent, and complements the books which stand alone even if you've watched the TV series.

Rumour has it that the TV Series will continue for at least one more season. I hope so, but only if the underlying stories continue to be written by Kerry Greenwood.
Thanks, Charlie

I couldn't recall exactly who/what was the spark that led me to look for the TV show. It must have been your contributions to that discussion that did so.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #16972
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A delightful series, whether as book, audio book, or TV. Or a combination of all three. Certainly I've gone back and read the original book for each of the TV episodes, and found that both stand on their own without making you dislike either, or thinking that they're redundant. That's really quite unusual. And I'm currently listening to Death by Water, number 15 in the Phyrne Fisher series, read by Stephanie Daniel. And very well read indeed.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #16973
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I can't quite remember when I last updated this thread, but lately I have read:

Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord. Folklore fantasy that reminded me a bit of Neil Gaiman, particularly Stardust, albeit based on Senegalese folklore. Quite short, and with a strong "storyteller" narrative voice. I enjoyed it at the time, but it hasn't really stayed with me.

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm. A Hugo winner about a relatively unusual variant of the eco-catastrophe, where everyone and everything simply becomes sterile. It's a three-part story about the attempt to survive this through cloning, and I liked it a lot. The first part was the weakest.

The Man Who Went up in Smoke by Sjöwall and Wahlöö. The second Martin Beck novel. I read the first one last year, and wasn't hugely impressed, but the series has kind of grown on me. Beck is quite an unusual character, seemingly never surprised, and with a deadpan sense of humour. I think I might continue with them. There are ten in all, and the fourth one won an Edgar.

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. A wonderful piece of work. SF semi-disguised as Hindu mythology. Technology that is deliberately kept indistinguishable from magic. Another Hugo winner, and in my case, the very last one. I've now read all 65 of them (including the retro Hugos and counting Blackout/All Clear as two.) I'm glad I left myself a good one to end on. There's even a 1 in 5 chance I'll have read this year's winner, although I'll be slightly disappointed if that one wins. I'm not voting this time, or I'd be in the middle of the short list now.

Almost forgot to say: only one of those (the Karen Lord) was an ebook. The other three were all paperbacks.

Last edited by DrNefario; 06-25-2013 at 03:15 PM.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #16974
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Almost forgot to say: only one of those (the Karen Lord) was an ebook. The other three were all paperbacks.
I am surprised how many people here are reading as many paper books as it appears still. I have only read 1 this year and maybe 6 in the last 2.5 years since I got my Kindle. It is so much more convenient to read ebooks! And getting them cheap is easy too, especially with library access now.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #16975
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Some of the great books are not available as eBooks. For example Lord of Light is a favorite of mine and is not available as an eBook. I would buy it if it was. For now, if I wish to read it for the umpteenth time I must get out my well worn copy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #16976
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Some of the great books are not available as eBooks. For example Lord of Light is a favorite of mine and is not available as an eBook. I would buy it if it was. For now, if I wish to read it for the umpteenth time I must get out my well worn copy.
Apache
I know but I am still somewhat surprised about it. I am sure part of my surprise is that I haven't even wanted to read paper books - to the point of not reading something if it is only a paper book unless I really want to read it. I was looking through the 2013 list thread a few days ago and a couple people list what type of book they read and there were very few ebooks in the lists. Even though I am fairly sure many of them would have been available as ebooks.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #16977
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I know but I am still somewhat surprised about it. I am sure part of my surprise is that I haven't even wanted to read paper books - to the point of not reading something if it is only a paper book unless I really want to read it. I was looking through the 2013 list thread a few days ago and a couple people list what type of book they read and there were very few ebooks in the lists. Even though I am fairly sure many of them would have been available as ebooks.
Personally, I pretty much always buy ebooks, but sometimes I'll be at a store and see a book I wanted to read in the "bargain" section, for cheaper than the ebook. I bought "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King in hardcover because it was $6, while the ebook is $10. I also bought his new "Joyland" book because it's not available as an ebook, only in paperback.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #16978
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I've reached the point where if a book isn't available as an eBook, I simply won't buy it. I have MORE than enough to read in my TBR, so I'll read something else.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #16979
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not buy Paper anymore, but a lot of my favorites are not available as ebooks. I will dig through my library and read them again. Or send them to 1 dollar scans.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #16980
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Some people still go to the public library for hardcovers. For Agency priced ebooks it may be a more affordable option.

I go once a week to pick up DVDs and will also borrow a book if it's on my TBR and available.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote