Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #35656
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Right now, I'm just making dinner.

I hurt my back in the 90s. It has gotten better over the years, but not all the way. I've never had a full inversion table, but I did have a tilting exercise platform, similar to the Total Gym (that everyone in the US has seen advertised on TV). It felt good when I was head-down, but the main advantage was that it reduced the effort needed to do many exercises, allowing many more "reps."

I should probably dig it up now that the kids are out and I can find room for it, again.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #35657
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Enjoying a bowl of very spicy potato wedges that I made from scratch.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #35658
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Enjoying a bowl of very spicy potato wedges that I made from scratch.
mmmmm recipe!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #35659
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
mmmmm recipe!
Hmm, I'm not very good at making actual recipes... I tend to improvise a lot... but I'll give it a go...
  • 2 medium to large Russet Potatoes, cleaned but NOT peeled.
  • A tablespoon or so of Oil or Melted Butter.
  • Garlic (I perfer to use fresh and mince it very finely, though powdered could probably work well enough)
  • Ground Cayenne Pepper
  • Black Pepper (preferably fresh ground)
  • Salt

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Slice potatoes into 8 roughly equal sized wedges. For larger potatoes you can cut these into half wedges so that it results in a total of 16 pieces.

Place potatoes into a large bowl and drizzle oil/melted butter on top. Toss until evenly coated. (work fast if you're using butter, as it will clump up as it cools down to room tempeture)

Mix (to taste) cayenne, garlic, and black pepper in a smaller bowl, then dip coated potato wedges into mix before placing them flat on a baking sheet. (you could also just toss the spices with the potato wedges, though I find it's hard to get an even coating)

Place into the oven for at least 30 minutes... basically until they are crisp and golden on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside... flipping them around half to two-thirds of the way through.

Quickly place wedges in large [clean] bowl and sprinkle salt (to taste), again tossing until evenly coated.

Serve with ranch dressing and [optionally] bacon bits.

Last edited by Dylrob; 02-14-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #35660
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm going to save this post to show to my wife as justification as to why I spent $229 + $5 S&H for a device she'll no doubt call frivolous and a waste of money (in other words, I haven't told her yet! ).
Mine was either $299 or $399 .... and I've had it for about 15 years. Definitely worth it! I even phoned the manufacturer after moving house once (I do that often) when I couldn't find a necessary part in time for back relief. They sent more for free!

And Dylrob, that recipe sounds marvelous!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #35661
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Listening to World War III coming from my dryer. I've put the leather jacket that I washed and dried inside, along with a 1kg rubber covered 'dumbbell' and set it spinning. (No heat, of course) I rubbed leather conditioner all over before I put it inside, and this is how I get it 'massaged' into the leather! Or how I destroy the dryer. Which ever comes first.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #35662
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Listening to World War III coming from my dryer. I've put the leather jacket that I washed and dried inside, along with a 1kg rubber covered 'dumbbell' and set it spinning. (No heat, of course) I rubbed leather conditioner all over before I put it inside, and this is how I get it 'massaged' into the leather! Or how I destroy the dryer. Which ever comes first.

Stitchawl
No one could ever say you're afraid to innovate!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #35663
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
No one could ever say you're afraid to innovate!
I wish I could say it was...
I learned to do this at a commercial leather cleaning facility, the sort that your neighborhood dry cleaners send your leather to, after you sign a waiver saying they are not responsible for damages... Years ago I found an old sheepskin jacket at a yard sale for 50 cents. It had been soaked in a mudpuddle (at least that's what it looked like) then wadded up into a ball and stuffed in a corner of a hot attic for 25 years. I bought it, went to a dry cleaner who flat out refused to accept it, but gave me the name of the commercial facility he used in Boston. I rode down there and managed to get a tour of the place, and some good advice about cleaning leather, advice that boggled my brains as it was sooooo counter to everything I knew up to that point about leather. And at that point I had been crafting it for about 10 years already!

The 'damage' part that we waive away isn't the leather itself getting ruined. (It takes a lot to ruin leather.) It's the stitching that hold the leather garments together when they are thrown into humongus washing machines with really seriously powerful detergent mixes, thoroughly soaked and pounded while weighing more than a Volkswagon! Often the stitching just can't take the weight of the leather around it. Or if the garment is thin leather that's been chrome tanned, the stitching might tear right through the leather itself. You can't imagine the weight of a soaking wet leather jacket. Not just wet 'outside.' Completely soaked. I can't put one into my washing machine. It would just give me an error msg of 'Overloaded.' That's why I washed my jacket last week in the bathtub, (tramping on it like Lucille Ball doing grapes, with a cleaning solution of 'Simple Green,' 'Joy' dish washing liquid, and 'Tide' detergent,) then laid it out on the floor to dry half way before I risked hanging it to dry completely. But now that it's dry, I needed to rejuvenate the leather with a conditioner, really working it into the skin. The jacket isn't too heavy now, so it can go into the dryer to get beaten on with a dumbbell! An hour of that and the jacket looks brand new, but soft and supple just the way a well worn jacket should feel!

Stitchawl
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #35664
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Does it leave conditioner residue all over the inside of the dryer? I would probably feel like I needed to put through several loads of towels later
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #35665
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Does it leave conditioner residue all over the inside of the dryer? I would probably feel like I needed to put through several loads of towels later
Yes, but we have one of these new-fangled washer/dryer units. And that's exactly what I did! (Great minds... and all.) After running it for an hour with the conditioner, I just washed a load of shop towels with a little extra detergent. As the conditioner I used this time was ordinary 'ArmorAll,' it wasn't as if I was trying to get rid of Neatsfoot Oil or Lexol.

When I discovered how well 'ArmorAll' works on leather (that you want soft... Don't use it on hard leather goods unless you use it VERRRRRY sparingly,) I gave up on Lexol and Neatsfoot Oil completely. 'ArmorAll' really does a fantastic job of renewing old leather. I had this jacket made for me in Seoul 25 years ago. It's the only winter jacket I've worn all these years. And if you look at it, it still glows! It's soft, supple, vibrant... alive! And all I do is spray on 'ArmorAll' before and after the season. Spray it on, wipe it down with a shop towel. Nothing more.

Edit: The young waitress couldn't understand why I wanted a photo of me with my back turned... LOL!

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MomijiMe.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	101327  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #35666
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
That's interesting. I also had this impression that you were a doddering old man
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #35667
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
That's interesting. I also had this impression that you were a doddering old man
I only dodder when I want a seat on the bus.
(Other times, I chew barbed wire and spit nails. As for old, I'll get old later. )

Stitchawl
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #35668
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I only dodder when I want a seat on the bus.
(Other times, I chew barbed wire and spit nails. As for old, I'll get old later. )

Stitchawl
You will never get old.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #35669
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
You will never get old.
The alternative is worse!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #35670
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The alternative is worse!
getting younger !

would that be forward to nappies, or backwards ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?