Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
machoman121
machoman121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch
Kobo Aura H2O - Dictionary sucks

yes - the mighty Kobo Aura H20 has such a terrible dictionary - was reading a book on Japanese war crimes and i tried to look the word 'atrocious' and it didn't have an entry for it. There were a few other words which failed too - it's a 50/50 chance of failure for the dictionary - when it does work there's also a 50/50 chance of it displaying useless information ie. it didn't help me understand the word.

Am i understanding it correctly that while one can change dictionaries but one cannot change the default english dictionary in the Kobo? I only need english.
machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Huh? "Atrocious" is most certainly in the H2O dictionary.

User error?
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
Huh? "Atrocious" is most certainly in the H2O dictionary.

User error?
I double checked and yes, the word atrocious is in the Kobo English dictionary. Are you sure you are using the English dictionary?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273820

you can add however many dictionaries you would like using the above method, so long as those dictionaries work on Kobo. There is a link in the thread I linked to which provides alternative dictionaries, and there are additional English ones there.

You'll need to patch your Kobo, information on that can be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269574 presuming you are on the latest firmware. If you are not on the latest, then you will need to either update your device, or find the thread for patching the version of firmware you are using.

However, as has been noted and shown by others, the word is in the built in dictionary.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Perhaps the word you were looking for was actually atrocity!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you mean English-English or some other language like English-German (which has a lot less entries than the English-English one).

Also you should have a look at the metadata and source code of your book. If the book language is not set to English, or of the text has some tags in it (ruby tags for japanese, or span tags, shy hyphenation marks, etc.) it can throw the dictionary off.

So how well dictionary lookups work, also depends on the book itself, unfortunately.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #8
machoman121
machoman121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kindle DX, Kindle Touch
My bad - the word was actually 'atrocities' and i tried it again and it appeared in another page and still the dictionary did not have an entry for it.
machoman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoman121 View Post
My bad - the word was actually 'atrocities' and i tried it again and it appeared in another page and still the dictionary did not have an entry for it.
It's always a good idea to look up nouns in the singular. I guess that my Aura HD uses the same dictionary as the H2O, and it most definitely has an entry for "atrocity".
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I believe the dictionaries are linked to the firmware rather than the device, and as Kobo has done a fairly good job keeping their devices all on the same firmware they should all share the same dictionary.

Worth noting that neither of the two English dictionaries available for the Kobo on MR were able to define atrocities. Plurals generally don't get unique entries in dictionaries. Could the digital look up be made smarter so it scanned some more of the dictionary file? Maybe. But I think you'd run the risk of it returning words that were just part of the definition.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I totally agree the dictionary is severely lacking. A lot of words I have looked up are missing or the definition is wrong. I've resorted to just using my phone to look up words.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 AM   #12
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Reading english medieval mystery books also is a test where Kobo's built-in english dictionaries miserably fail. The inter-language dictionaries are barely covering beginner level, so I'm only using the English dictionary from time to time.

I would be glad if I could buy integrated advanced dictionaries in the same way I can buy books, yet with the tight integration of the stock dictionaries. So far, I have to resort to the Oxford Shorter Dictionary on my tablet and phone. I would gladly shell out the money for the Oxford Shorter on my H2O.
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:20 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My main problem and I have a Glo HD is the definition is usually a very short sentence that gives very little idea of the meaning. The words I look up are new to me not everyday common usage. This dictionary seems to struggle with knowing most of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:29 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For all of you who don't feel comfortable with Aura dictionary, I recommend this thread and this one if you're comfortable patching your ereader.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:15 AM   #15
svenlind
Evangelist
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
It's always a good idea to look up nouns in the singular. I guess that my Aura HD uses the same dictionary as the H2O, and it most definitely has an entry for "atrocity".
A good digital dictionary should be able to handle inflections of verbs and handle both singular and pluralis of nouns. All my digital dictionaries, except apparently Kobo, can handle this.

I am new to my Kobo Glo HD, but the dictionary does seem to be a weak point.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote