Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #1081
ibic
ibic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
This is definitely a life saver, thank you.
ibic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:37 AM   #1082
Philip Man
Philip Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Trying to debrick my kindle 3 keyboard. Firmware 3.4.2.
Boot to USB Kurick. Had to unplug USB in order to get into USB download mode, and when replug USB, it says ready.
Continue to the 10-30s and 1hr-3hr stages, but it quickly skips them.
Could not find anything about 'quick skip' of these steps in the forums.
Philip Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 03:34 AM   #1083
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Man View Post
Boot to USB Kurick. Had to unplug USB in order to get into USB download mode, and when replug USB, it says ready.
It is answered multiple times in this very thread.

You should not double post.
I told you what to do in your other thread.
Post in that one.

or, get your support from miui, it is their software that screwed your machine.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #1084
JackErbes
Enthusiast
JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.

Device: K4 Non Touch, Fire HD (3rd Gen)
Quote:
When you set up your Live USB flash drive did you make the flash drive and then copy the *.iso image for the K3 devices to the drive afterwards?

Expand the readme file and follow that and it should work, first you make a bootable flash drive, then you put an *.iso file on it for the flash drive to use when it does the update.

It sounds to me like the flash drive is not finding an image to use for the update.

Jack
JackErbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #1085
Philip Man
Philip Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I made a USB bootable flash drive.

1) Create the USB part
2) Copy over the ISO for my kindle, K3 for 3rd gen keyboard.

Boot works, just that I could not go into USB downloader mode following the guide (i.e. with USB plugged in).
Only detected if I unplug USB, go into downloader mode, then replug USB, then it detects the device. I am puzzled why it does not work if I follow the guide.
Maybe, it is because of this, that the downloads skip.

Last edited by Philip Man; 07-21-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Philip Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #1086
JackErbes
Enthusiast
JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.JackErbes is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
I made a USB bootable flash drive.

1) Create the USB part
2) Copy over the ISO for my kindle, K3 for 3rd gen keyboard.

Boot works, just that I could not go into USB downloader mode following the guide (i.e. with USB plugged in).
Only detected if I unplug USB, go into downloader mode, then replug USB, then it detects the device. I am puzzled why it does not work if I follow the guide.
Maybe, it is because of this, that the downloads skip.
Following the guide and the prompts from the Kubrick software has worked for me two times now. I started with only the flash drive plugged in and booted to the Kubrick screen that said to connect the Kindle and put it in the diagnostic mode by manipulating the Kindle power and FW Down buttons.

The process of getting the Kindle into the Diagnostics mode was a little troublesome and it took several tries to get it right. I had to turn the Kindle off, and hold it's power button in as I connected to the USB port and then ride the Kindle power button as soon as I saw the Kindle screen blink.

Then I just followed the prompts on the laptop making sure I had the green "Next" prompts as I went through it.

Warning: My folllowing suggestion (blue colored text) will not work for this persons K3 according to the Guru here!

Another thing you might want to try is to go to the Amazon support page here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200127470

and reinstall the factory firmware and take your kindle back to it's "as new" state. I think this is the page you want for a K3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529700

That process may require you to reinstall several versions of the firmware to get from the first version to the last but it works too if you follow the steps there.

I had to use the Amazon firmware update process to get from 4.1.1 to 4.1.3 after I usd Kubrick to get rid of the Duokan software on my K4.

Jack

Last edited by JackErbes; 07-21-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #1087
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackErbes View Post
- - - - -
Another thing you might want to try is to go to the Amazon support page here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_bc_nav?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200127470

and reinstall the factory firmware and take your kindle back to it's "as new" state. I think this is the page you want for a K3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529700
Wrong.
None of those are a complete system image.
Amazon did not supply complete system images to recover a K3 back in its day, only we (MR) ever did.

You can find links to the K3 complete images in the de-bricking guide.
And, of course, one of them on the Kubrick disk.

But if Kubrick can't install one, then you can't install one manually.

The device is now just a spare keyboard and screen for sale as used parts.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #1088
JackErbes
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Wrong.
None of those are a complete system image.
Amazon did not supply complete system images to recover a K3 back in its day, only we (MR) ever did.

You can find links to the K3 complete images in the de-bricking guide.
And, of course, one of them on the Kubrick disk.

But if Kubrick can't install one, then you can't install one manually.

The device is now just a spare keyboard and screen for sale as used parts.
Maybe that has changed?

If you check out that link there are a number of firmware images there for downloading and the link to how to install them is the same process as I used on the K4, put in on the root of the Kindle and run the Update from the Kindle menus...

Or have I got the wrong kindle or something?

Jack
Old 07-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #1089
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Maybe that has changed?

If you check out that link there are a number of firmware images there for downloading and the link to how to install them is the same process as I used on the K4, put in on the root of the Kindle and run the Update from the Kindle menus...

Or have I got the wrong kindle or something?

Jack
They are incremental updates.
That is: they use bspatch to patch individual files as required.
Open one (or more) of them with KindleTool and look for yourself.

Amazon did not switch to full image releases until the KT-5.3.7 firmware version dated: July 12, 2013.
Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=24

I know because I spent all of last week opening and examining every KT, PW1, PW2 and PW3 firmware image.

The full image updates where never used by Amazon prior to the KT.
Which is why we (MR Dev Corner) are the only ones to have posted complete images (members here made them or recovered them) for Kindle models prior to the KT.

Yes, I am sure.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #1090
JackErbes
Enthusiast

OK, I'm getting older and smarter here for sure. And I appreciate you telling us that what I suggested would not work for his K3.

My apologies for questioning your wisdom! :>)

"..Open one (or more) of them with KindleTool and look for yourself..."

KindleTool? I don't even know what that is! That and the info at the Virtual Development link are way over my head! I'm a 75 year old tinkerer and don't understand much or any of that.

Reading those pages I posted links to implied to me that the K3 update would go the same as it did for my K4NT (which Amazon calls it a Kindle 5th Generation) and I assumed it would work the same for his.

I ran Kubrick because I wanted to get rid of all traces of Duokan 2013 and when I did that it worked fine but Kubrick installed 4.1.1 and I then used the Amazon pages to get it up to 4.1.3 again (the latest version for the K4NT).

Thanks again!

Jack
Old 07-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #1091
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - -
KindleTool? I don't even know what that is! That and the info at the Virtual Development link are way over my head! I'm a 75 year old tinkerer and don't understand much or any of that.
- - -
KindleTool is the packager application (which can also un-package), can be found here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Scroll to bottom of post, pick the binary that was built for the PC system that you use.

I am 72, I was hoping that by the time I reached 75 the world would have run out of mistakes for me to make.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #1092
JackErbes
Enthusiast

Thanks for the more info and link, maybe I'll get smarter...

I suspected you might be about my age, I still like music and occasionally hear (from my archives) music by both JB and BD... :>)

Is it possible to take a Fire HD and remove all aspects of the merchandising and interplay with Amazon? And just use it read books and maybe play Solitaire with it? I realize I would have to become Android programs smart but think I could handle that. Between Gutenberg, Librovox, and the local library I never buy books, only listen to them.

Jack
Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #1093
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Is it possible to take a Fire HD and remove all aspects of the merchandising and interplay with Amazon? And just use it read books and maybe play Solitaire with it? I realize I would have to become Android programs smart but think I could handle that. Between Gutenberg, Librovox, and the local library I never buy books, only listen to them.

Jack
I have no idea.
I have never even seen an Amazon Fire device (although I do know they are Android devices).

This is a large site, other places you might find an answer -
Kindle Fire forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=243
Android device forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=225
Old 07-26-2017, 02:32 AM   #1094
Pinchfire
Pinchfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Greetings fellow e-book readers. After 5-6 years of faithful service my old friend - my Kindle 3, decided its his time to test my fighting abilities too. The loading bar simply keeps loading till it freezes, then the process starts over again... And again, and again. I've manage to use the RESET + 1 combination to hard reset and turn everything back to normal, but once it all seems OK, the loop starts happening again. So I figure the software is corrupted somehow. I googled and found this forum/thread to have highest chances of any improvement of my current situations.
I have read some of the posts (not all), but I still have 2 noob questions:
1. When burning the provided .iso to CD/DVD do I have to make it bootable CD/DVD? And if YES, is there some specific method I shall use?
2. When connecting the desired Kindle to the PC... Is the standard package cable OK (USB cable) or I need some other kind - I've read about Serial cables or smth. of the sort.

Thanks in advance if somebody has the time to post a reply! Would really appreciate your help and guidance!
Pinchfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #1095
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchfire View Post
Greetings fellow e-book readers. After 5-6 years of faithful service my old friend - my Kindle 3, decided its his time to test my fighting abilities too. The loading bar simply keeps loading till it freezes, then the process starts over again... And again, and again. I've manage to use the RESET + 1 combination to hard reset and turn everything back to normal, but once it all seems OK, the loop starts happening again. So I figure the software is corrupted somehow. I googled and found this forum/thread to have highest chances of any improvement of my current situations.
I have read some of the posts (not all), but I still have 2 noob questions:
1. When burning the provided .iso to CD/DVD do I have to make it bootable CD/DVD? And if YES, is there some specific method I shall use?
2. When connecting the desired Kindle to the PC... Is the standard package cable OK (USB cable) or I need some other kind - I've read about Serial cables or smth. of the sort.

Thanks in advance if somebody has the time to post a reply! Would really appreciate your help and guidance!
The image you download is already a bootable CD/DVD.
Do not try to create a bootable image with it, just burn it as a binary image of the CD/DVD.

Only the usual USB cable is required. just be certain it is a known good one.