Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
f.ubuntu
f.ubuntu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx boox note
Onyx boox note battery usage

I am asking my question from those who have already an Onyx Boox Note. How is the battery life? Could you please give us a report about how fast the battery drains? I have a doubt to choose between DPT RP1 and Boox Note
f.ubuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
It's not great. I use it mainly for PDF annotation and notes. After using it for about 4 hours (my daily average), the battery is usually down to ~40%. And if I leave it "sleeping" instead of turning it off entirely, the battery will continue to drain at the rate of a few percentage points per hour. I have to charge it every night. This is all with Wifi and Bluetooth off.
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Simon_31
Enthusiast
Simon_31 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max, onyx boox note pro, kindle paperwhite
I'm using it daily, but only for reading technical pdfs (something as 15-30 minutes per day - I use it while in the subway). I don't use the notes feature neither wifi or bluetooh (both disabled).
With this use, the battery lasts quite long, I would say 2 weeks at least. I haven't really measured, but battery is definitely not an issue for me.
Maybe it depends on the use of it. I guess that annotations, because they constantly refresh the screen, are more power consuming than simply reading pdf, for which the screen is refreshed only when you turn the page.
Simon_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_31 View Post
Maybe it depends on the use of it. I guess that annotations, because they constantly refresh the screen, are more power consuming than simply reading pdf, for which the screen is refreshed only when you turn the page.
Very possible. I can usually get through about 200 pages in a PDF file, annotating practically every page, and end up with about 40% of the battery at the end of the day.

What irks me is the fact that the battery drains quite fast even when the machine is "sleeping"; it sounds like you're not experiencing that issue though. I wonder what's causing that.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
What irks me is the fact that the battery drains quite fast even when the machine is "sleeping"; it sounds like you're not experiencing that issue though. I wonder what's causing that.
Upgrade to this version, it brought a battery save mode.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=29

If battery save mode still can't solve your problem, try to freeze your 3rd-party apps with apps freezer such as Ice Box (no root needed).
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
MadAstra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
Upgrade to this version, it brought a battery save mode.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=29

If battery save mode still can't solve your problem, try to freeze your 3rd-party apps with apps freezer such as Ice Box (no root needed).
Thanks cqman! Do you know when this upgrade will be released officially? I’m just a bit leery of trying betas.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Thanks cqman! Do you know when this upgrade will be released officially? I’m just a bit leery of trying betas.
It's official at least in China. The link is from Onyx's server by sniffing OTA update.

I've no idea when it'll be released globally. I guess that Onyx will do it when their new note-taking app is done. So they can release the new system with new note-taking app together.

Their update strategy is acceptable for a small company. Domestically release first, waiting for feedback, then bug fixing then release globally.

Last edited by cqman; 06-20-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #8
MadAstra
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's official at least in China. The link is from Onyx's server by sniffing OTA update.

I've no idea when it'll be released globally. I guess that Onyx will do it when their new note-taking app is done. So they can release the new system with new note-taking app together.

Their update strategy is acceptable for a small company. Domestically release first, waiting for feedback, then bug fixing then release globally.
Got it. Appreciate it. I will give this a try.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
cqman
Groupie

Quote:
Got it. Appreciate it. I will give this a try.
Hold on, check this post please.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=62

Last edited by cqman; 06-21-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
MadAstra
Enthusiast

Quote:
I can't wait till I get home to give this a try. Thanks man.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #11
Simon_31
Enthusiast

Hello Mad.

Just for information, I have the 2018-03-19_13-00_1.8.3_9269185 firmware, and the "Power manager" is set as this:
- Sleep: After 30 minutes of inactivity
- Power off timeout: Never
- Network Inactivity Timeout: After 5 minutes of inactivity
Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
MadAstra
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_31 View Post
Hello Mad.

Just for information, I have the 2018-03-19_13-00_1.8.3_9269185 firmware, and the "Power manager" is set as this:
- Sleep: After 30 minutes of inactivity
- Power off timeout: Never
- Network Inactivity Timeout: After 5 minutes of inactivity
That’s very similar to my settings. If I leave it sleeping for 12 hours, it drains down to 77%. So something is clearly wrong.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
Simon_31
Enthusiast

Indeed, it is not normal...
Old 07-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
I can confirm the battery drain while sleeping issue. I ended up setting it to power off after 30 mins of inactivity. I'm looking forward to checking out the update once it comes out officially.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #15
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
That’s very similar to my settings. If I leave it sleeping for 12 hours, it drains down to 77%. So something is clearly wrong.
root the device and use betterbatterystats to pin what is causing the drain

Last edited by whopper; 07-03-2018 at 07:38 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote