Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I have to admit that I kind of got used to the cold feel of the aluminum body.
I have the leather Amazon cover and fold it back to read, so I'm holding the cover, not the bare metal. I find that the most comfortable way to read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:53 AM   #32
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the leather Amazon cover and fold it back to read, so I'm holding the cover, not the bare metal. I find that the most comfortable way to read.
I would love to do that, but they are all unavailable
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #33
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I would love to do that, but they are all unavailable
Third party covers are ow available. Much cheaper, but no lighter.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #34
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoc View Post
Third party covers are ow available. Much cheaper, but no lighter.
I have seen a lot of them and the all did not appeal to me. Most of them look cheap and the all attack more permanently than I would like.
I really hope that one of the third party manufacturers eventually will come up with a nice looking cover with an actually clever design.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #35
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
That is why I like my official leather cover just fine. I can get the Oasis out of it easy. There is no 3rd party cover like it. I do not read with it in the cover so there are no other options other than the official. I don't have a lot of issues with it overall. So its fine. Its a bit high priced, but then I got to use my points so it didn't hurt as much.

Now that I have used the Oasis for a while, I find it quite comfortable. It took a while to settle on how to hold it. My small hands are doing well with it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #36
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
That is why I like my official leather cover just fine. I can get the Oasis out of it easy. There is no 3rd party cover like it. I do not read with it in the cover so there are no other options other than the official. I don't have a lot of issues with it overall. So its fine. Its a bit high priced, but then I got to use my points so it didn't hurt as much.

Now that I have used the Oasis for a while, I find it quite comfortable. It took a while to settle on how to hold it. My small hands are doing well with it.
I bought two of the Amazon covers, a leather Merlot, and an Indigo Water-Safe, and returned them when the covers disappeared as the stand function didn't work very well, the magnets on the top right didn't seem to hold. I bitterly regretted my stupidity as my third party cover just wasn't as good. I prefer the buldge flattened out with the Amazon cover, and I liked the ease of removing and replacing the Oasis when reading without a cover.

Anyway, about two weeks after I returned them the a single Merlot cover appeared as a warehouse deal, it was during Black Friday so I they also have 20% off all Amazon covers. I bought it for £33. Once that arrived I had a suspicion it was my returned cover, which was great as for everything else the magnets worked fine. A day after my Merlot cover arrived the Indigo turned up as a warehouse deal, again just the one. I got that for £24. Again I think it's my returned cover, a few things with the box convinced me.

Now I'm not sure what the odds are for buying back your own returns but I consider myself a very lucky woman . And no, this time, they will not be returned.

Third party covers are okay but for the Oasis design I just don't like them.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #37
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be really funny if you got your own returned covers in the warehouse deal.
I am a bit upset that they went down in price so much right after I got mine, but I guess it is what it is. I don't use it as a stand, but I did try just to see and it works fine on that too. Are the magnets as strong as on the Oasis1? No. But they seem strong enough to stay on for what I need it for. Since I read out of the cover anyway, its just meant to keep it protected while its sat down somewhere. Screen mostly. I am not concerned about anything happen to the back its pretty strong.

Those 3rd party are too hard to get it out every time I pick it up and I like the wedge to read. Which isn't there on the covers either once you fold back the cover to read. But its good to have some options.

I need it to be as light as possible to read with as it is heavier and bigger than the old Oasis. So I could never read with the 3rd party covers as they said to be heavier than the official. That would be uncomfortable for me and my hands.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #38
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I have big hands, and I hated the metal feel like of the original PRS-505!
It was the biggest draw back.
I prefer the lighter weight plastic body of the original Oasis.

While I haven't really tested the thumb position, or how it holds in the hand, the Oasis 2 is just about as heavy as my other readers, or lighter. So it's not an issue for me.

I'm not too eager to put a sleeve on the Oasis, just for not feeling the metal housing.
I feel that a device like the oasis, made with a plastic body, needs only a flap to protect the front screen.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #39
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
The more I use the new Oasis 2 the more convinced I am that it may be the most comfortable e-reader I have ever used. The weight is at least nominally shifted to the side that you hold it on. There is that nice wide bezel to grip. And this might sound strange but as soon as my hands have even the smallest amount of moisture to them from holding it (gross I know) the aluminum back kind of... "sticks"... to my finger tips making it even easier to grip. Wow... that is way too much information. Also the little groove area in the back makes for a perfect area to wrap my fingers around the back and grip it. I can easily hold the Oasis 2 completely vertically with just a couple fingers behind the bulge area and it won't slip out of my hand.

And the 7-inch screen is very nice. Not life changing compared to your typical 6-inch screen on an e-ink e-reader... but you learn to appreciate the larger screen the more that you use it I find.

Oh and also, it is actually .2 oz lighter than my Nook Glowlight 3 despite having the larger screen so it doesn't generally feel too heavy to me. Now, if you put a case on it I can see how that might make it feel fairly heavy or burdensome. But without it the weight seems acceptable and doesn't hurt my wrists yet (yet... we will see).

Last edited by Anthem; 12-19-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #40
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I'm still finding the new Oasis very uncomfortable - it digs into my hand when I hold it, and it still feels very heavy to me
According to Amazon, the Oasis 2 only weighs 0.5oz (14g) more than the Voyage. I suspect this is a purely psychological/imagined impression.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #41
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
According to Amazon, the Oasis 2 only weighs 0.5oz (14g) more than the Voyage. I suspect this is a purely psychological/imagined impression.
It's to do with the weight distribution. Whereas the Voyage's weight is evenly distributed, making the side I'm holding feel like approx. half the quoted weight, with the Oasis, most of that weight is in the one side I'm holding.

Anyhow, I adjusted to it, and hold it in one hand while resting the other side on my leg or propping it on my tummy.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #42
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post

Do you find the leather cover feels soft and smooth in your hands?

I have the cloth cover, and while the inside feels divine, the outside feels quite scratchy. I actually wish Amazon would make a cover that had the same material as the soft inner lining on the outside as well. I know it wouldn't wear well, but I hear the leather doesn't wear well anyway. If I buy it, I'm going to Scotchguard it.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #43
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
the Voyage's weight is evenly distributed, making the side I'm holding feel like approx. half the quoted weight, with the Oasis, most of that weight is in the one side I'm holding.
Unless you're using two hands, the other half of the Voyage weight hasn't gone anywhere. In fact, the wider the device is, the more you'd feel that other half in the hand you're using. (Imagine the cantilever effect of holding a thin wood board from one end)

And this is why the Oasis wins in the weight distribution department.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #44
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Do you find the leather cover feels soft and smooth in your hands?

I have the cloth cover, and while the inside feels divine, the outside feels quite scratchy. I actually wish Amazon would make a cover that had the same material as the soft inner lining on the outside as well. I know it wouldn't wear well, but I hear the leather doesn't wear well anyway. If I buy it, I'm going to Scotchguard it.
Its soft. Its a bit like suede. Think suede, there is a hard shell underneath after all. So yes, there are some marks here and there. As far as how it feels in my hands? I only use it to put my kindle up when I am done reading, so I don't hold it with it very long. To carry to my reading spot, put it in, set it down. Pick it up, open, rinse repeat.
I only read with it out of the cover.

Still happy with the cover, it does what I wanted it to do. Just like the O1. Just minus the battery.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #45
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Bestbuy online still has the leather saddle and a merlot open box.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote