Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #16
varioflux
Sâr Rabindranath Duval
varioflux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kobo [Aura H2O] & Oasis 2
A cover is done primarily to protect the kindle and prevent its destruction by accident. The leather cover does not do the job in any case. The fact that she is pretty is an important detail, but a detail all the same, right?
varioflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by varioflux View Post
A cover is done primarily to protect the kindle and prevent its destruction by accident. The leather cover does not do the job in any case. The fact that she is pretty is an important detail, but a detail all the same, right?
I disagree - it provides excellent protection. Why do you think it doesn't?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 AM   #18
varioflux
Sâr Rabindranath Duval

In 3 days, my kindle separated several times from the cover when he had not encountered anything more dangerous than going back and forth between my nightstand and my hands, and that's enough for me. No need to take it outside to try harder, considering the price of the animal!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:53 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varioflux View Post
In 3 days, my kindle separated several times from the cover when he had not encountered anything more dangerous than going back and forth between my nightstand and my hands, and that's enough for me. No need to take it outside to try harder, considering the price of the animal!
My case did that in the first day or so, but it's been absolutely fine since then. I suspect it takes a while for the case to mould itself to the shape of the back of the Kindle so the magnets attach firmly.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #20
varioflux
Sâr Rabindranath Duval

you're right, but for 60 € I prefer to wait for a cover that will be as secure as those I have for my other 2 reader ...
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Of course. Completely understandable.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Here's my Blue Water Safe cover. It's just arrived and I like it. Will test it out in the bath tonight. I don't get why the reviews are so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6664.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	961.6 KB
ID:	159854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6665.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	826.7 KB
ID:	159855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6666.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	992.2 KB
ID:	159856  
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
My 2016 Oasis has a merlot cover that I like very much (well, except for that whole split-battery idea and somewhat glitchy connection anyway). It’s smooth leather, not the suede type. The debossing (I think that’s what it’s called) of the Amazon name is really well done; it’s very subtle.) I think it’s a great-looking cover.

I was surprised and disappointed by the 2017 merlot cover. The suede attracts dust and scratches and I think it might be less comfortable to hold in warm weather (I'm retired and getting ready for a move South). The Amazon name is much more obtrusive; it looks like the debossing has been filled in with a darker color. I don’t think the stand feature works very well so I’d rather it didn’t exist at all. I don't think it was worth the price so I’ve returned it.

I also got the waterproof cover in dark blue. The fabric is a bit rough and the stand feature doesn't work awfully well but the color is nice and the Amazon name is much less noticeable. I think the waterproofing will be useful, and the diagonal fold line is less noticeable than it is on the suede. On the whole I think it’s better looking than the suede one and it was cheaper, so I’m keeping it.

I have a slight case addiction so I’ve also gotten a sleeve from Etsy and have ordered sleeves from Amazon and Ebay and a regular book-style cover from Ebay. It's nice to not have to worry about the battery.

I’ll probably also order a matte skin to cut down on the slipperyness when DecalGirl starts making them but I’m not sure how well it will work. The back of the new Oasis is different from the older one (or any of my other Kindles). The thick part seems to have a curvier edge and there’s no lip to surround the skin. I’m afraid the skin might eventually start to come loose at the edges.

I like the screen size of the new Oasis but I’d gladly sacrifice that for the six-inch size if instead of completely abandoning that size for the Oasis Amazon had kept it and upgraded it by increasing the thickness just enough to have the whole battery onboard and adding the waterproofing and extra storage. The size of the smaller Oasis is much more comfortable for me to hold and the plastic lip around the screen is smoother and more rounded than the metal lip on the new one and also doesn’t stick up as far above the screen (possibly that’s a quality control issue rather than a design decision).
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I have a slight case addiction so I’ve also gotten a sleeve from Etsy and have ordered sleeves from Amazon and Ebay and a regular book-style cover from Ebay. It's nice to not have to worry about the battery.
Could you please give links to the Etsy sleeve & eBay cover? Would love to check them out!
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #25
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguion View Post
Could you please give links to the Etsy sleeve & eBay cover? Would love to check them out!
These are the ones I've ordered so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slim-Custer...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kind...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1519747...home_active_11

I definitely wasn't feeling conservative when I ordered the Etsy one.
I do like it though. She has a dropdown list with all the ereader models so I didn't have to worry about getting the measurements right. It was amazingly fast too. I ordered it Friday afternoon and it got here on Monday!

I saw a couple of other Etsy sellers that listed sleeves to fit the new Oasis but I'm trying to restrain myself for now --

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5045114...is-fire-kindle

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5100783...is-case-kindle
Old 11-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #26
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
These are the ones I've ordered so far.
You are the kind of shopaholic that I like! Some interesting cases sleeves there. I saw this one, maybe I will get it later, I like cases with old Maps:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5699424...f=sr_gallery_2
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #27
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I have the saddle tan leather and am very pleased. The suede-type leather is beautiful, nice to the touch and of excellent quality. The cover has "molded" nicely and the magnets seem stronger, plenty secure. I am a big fan of the origami case, for the Oasis 2 and Voyage, and use the stand regularly with both.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Here's my Blue Water Safe cover. It's just arrived and I like it. Will test it out in the bath tonight. I don't get why the reviews are so bad.
I have the same. It's not really water proof. And the magnet is not that strong.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #29
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
For another data point, I have the same cover as joblack (indigo, water-safe) and the magnets are fine. With the case open I can hold it by the open end and shake it (over a soft surface, of course), and the Oasis does not fall out. I don't know about the water safety of it as I never tested that. It's not that important to me as I generally read the Oasis in my bedroom.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #30
disconnected
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I have the same. It's not really water proof.
I've been wondering about that but it was so expensive I'm hesitant about trying to test it.

How is yours demonstrating non-waterproofness? When it gets wet does it turn into a sodden mess and lose its shape when it dries out?

Tags
but are showing as used