Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
[Kindle 3] Diminish in performance through sustained use

Just wondering has anyone experienced any diminish in page turn/ menu speeds or responsiveness?

I have about 5 hours of continuous use of my kindle reading a book, when all of a sudden the page turn speed has dropped remarkably. This speed affects the menus as well and trying another fresh book made no difference.

I'll probably have to hard reset it when i've finish my book, but cannot see such an option in the settings pane. So it would be much appreciated if someone could point out how.

Cheers,
Bismar

Edit: Changed title to a more general outline, as the problem is not localised to being part way through a book.

Last edited by Bismar; 08-31-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
To reset from the menu, press Home->Menu->settings->menu->reset.

I'm curious to find out if it's Topaz book. I had hoped that they would have eventually fixed the silly Topaz problems, but maybe not.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

I do not believe it is the book at all, as menus seem to be affected as well.

But no the format was never topaz, it was a html from Baen converted to mobi by Calibre.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Bismar
Connoisseur

Ok the restart fixed it All good. Unsure why it happened in the first place though.

I did not put an excessive amount on books on it either. Maybe about 60, and that was many 'sleeps' ago so i doubt processing would have been an issue.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

At first guess, it sounds like the kindle software might have a memory leak somewhere. I've had some stability issues on my K3 too. A restart fixes the problem. I'm sure they'll introduce a patch eventually.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Same thing has happened to me. Mine also restarted twice by itself while I was reading. I'm sure they will be able to fix these issues with software updates.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

In my case, it is worth noting that I *had* to do a manual restart (from the menus) for the kindle to start acting normal again. The crash reboots never seemed to fix the problem.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like memory fragmentation. I had a similar thing after adding a load of books to collections. The whole machine slowed to a crawl. That time, though, it seemed to recover by itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I had that once when I had some duplicate files. Of course that was with my K1 after moving stuff from main memory to the card. That shouldn't be a common issue here. I haven't had that problem with my K3 but then I haven't had any crashes. Maybe I've just been lucky. I have side loaded some books, about 70, downloaded some samples, briefly checked out the web browser and spent some time with Wikipedia. So far so good. Of course, now that I've said this, I'm sure it shall crash next time I use it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Deleted
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Full charge required

Make sure you have done the FULL THREE HOUR charge at least once. I got by with a 45 minute charge upon receipt and the green LED went on.

However, since it takes several recharge cycles to calibrate the meter on screen AND the LED, light, the first charge was probably insufficient.

I had a few spontaneous resets and then lost the last two pages of my 3 page Experimental Settings set.

After just 45 minutes of charge, I inspected that area and the 3 pages were back.

Now I am patiently waiting for the FULL three hour charge to complete even though the Green LED went on after one and one half hours.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Canuck Rennsau
Canuck Rennsau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I thought it was just me...I synced a book between my PC and my Kindle and suddenly, page turn speed diminished considerably (held on the "negative" black flash a lot longer than before). Tried a hard re-set but it hasn't helped.
Canuck Rennsau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
pabulous
pabulous began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300 (owned for about a month!), Kindle 3 preordered
So glad I found this thread, I've had this problem today as well, but it usually goes away after restarts. I've found that it tends to happen when I have lots of books on the go (I've been opening several I added today just to make sure they're okay), so it strikes me it seems to have an issue with remembering your place in several books at once.
pabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Bismar
Connoisseur

Hmm, got this problem again and only added 3 pdf's too, so indexing shouldn't be an issue, as i'm pretty sure pdf's aren't indexed.

Restarting doesn't seem to fix it anymore, tried 3 consecutive restarts thus far.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, there's another thread (here) with the same symptoms, so, apparently, we're not alone .

Just happened to me, and appart from jumping once or twice between the book and the two default dictionaries, I didn't do anything else than read the same book since the last wakeup from sleep.

The partial refreshes (ie. the underline under the selected book in the Home screen) didn't seem to be affected, but I didn't test that very thoroughly, so I may be mistaken.

It didn't go away after a restart (and I mean restart (ie. reboot), not a reset to factory defaults, let's try to make that clear to avoid confusions/useless reset to factory defaults ), so I let it go to sleep. Picked it up about 15min later, and it seems to be doing fine.

It's 5am here, so I'll try to take a look at my logs tomorrow, see if something pops out...

Something definitey seems fishy on the software side of things, and the new kernel based on the -rt branch doesn't help, IMHO. (It tends to be pretty unforgiving of buggy hardware/kernel drivers/software and race conditions). I'm far from being an expert, but putting a half-tested semi-official Real Time linux kernel patchset on an embedded non-x86 device with brand new hardware seems pretty ballsy to me ^^.

On a sidenote: Editing the title of your first post doesn't seem to change the title of the *thread* itself. Any way to change that behaviour, or is that on purpose, dear mods? . (I've experienced it in my font hack thread, and it is mildly annoying ^^. Unless I missed something obvious somewhere to edit the title of one's thread?)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-01-2010 at 11:31 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote