Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Fw 5.8.11 update

Apparently, according to the press release for the new Oasis, the 5.8.11 update is now available for all other Kindles going back to the 2013 Paperwhite. Does this only apply to the US? When I checked to see whether it was available here in the UK it doesn't seem to have been released yet.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just looked on Amazon.com and I do not see firmware 5.8.11.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #3
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
according to goodereader it will be available sometime today or tomorrow
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newday07 View Post
And how often have they been right? Not often unless they come to MR and steal the information.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
goodereader about 5.8.11 update: "If you love reading e-books there is more font sizes than ever before—and five levels of boldness—for whichever font you choose to read with. In addition to the Opendyslexic font, Amazon has just added a new feature to invert black and white on the display, which is useful if you have light sensitivity. Finally there is a new Ragged Right Alignment feature that allows you to read using left-aligned (ragged right) text."
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If they are correct I'd update my old Paperwhite. It's currently jailbroken with a patch to keep it from updating. It's on the last firmware that allowed custom fonts. It's collecting dust.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I contacted customer service about this, and I wasn't really given a concrete answer. They said that they couldn't give any definitive answer to me as the device in question had not been released yet. I hope they do update the firmware on the 8th and 7th Gen. devices, as it has a few features which I would really like to use. The five levels of boldness in particular, especially as of the moment the only font I use is the bold Ember font, as it is the only one I consider bold enough for my liking.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 10-12-2017 at 07:40 AM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
...Finally there is a new Ragged Right Alignment feature that allows you to read using left-aligned (ragged right) text."
It is odd that this feature is mentioned in the new Oasis press release as both a feature of the new Oasis and of the upcoming firmware for older Kindles. That feature has been available since firmware version 5.8.9 released last spring, although only for books in KFX format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
That' what Amazon told me, and then that site ripped me off
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was able to download the 5.8.11 firmware for the Paperwhite 2 by using the direct link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow..._v2_5.8.11.bin

That file isn't linked from the Kindle Paperwhite (6th Generation) Software Updates at this time, but is probably coming soon.

I haven't tried links for other Kindle models.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #11
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
In Settings, Device Options, the Update Your Kindle tab is greyed out. Is this the normal setting? Don't usually check--but have been doing so obsessively after learning about the latest update. And I can't recall if Update Your Kindle being greyed out is status quo?
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I was able to download the 5.8.11 firmware for the Paperwhite 2 by using the direct link:

That file isn't linked from the Kindle Paperwhite (6th Generation) Software Updates at this time, but is probably coming soon.

the same trick works for the update for the third gen paperwhite
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #13
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:

Interesting. I tried the other ones, and they are all still on 5.5.10. Maybe they are in the process up updating them now.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
In Settings, Device Options, the Update Your Kindle tab is greyed out. Is this the normal setting? Don't usually check--but have been doing so obsessively after learning about the latest update. And I can't recall if Update Your Kindle being greyed out is status quo?
It will be grayed out until the new firmware has been downloaded by Amazon to your Kindle. Normally Amazon spreads out new firmware releases over time so it can take days or weeks before you will see the update, unless you download it yourself and copy it to the Kindle via USB.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 AM   #15
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
It will be grayed out until the new firmware has been downloaded by Amazon to your Kindle. Normally Amazon spreads out new firmware releases over time so it can take days or weeks before you will see the update, unless you download it yourself and copy it to the Kindle via USB.
Ok, phew, nothing wrong, just need to be patient. Thanks!
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp