Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonreader View Post
Hi Ken

I couldn't click on anything. It didn't help that the text was about 7pt. I didn't get anything like you described, and the books were loaded with Calibre so think they were where they were supposed to be. I'll give it another shot I maybe tomorrow or the next day and see what happens. It just sounds too coll to give up on yet

Cheers,
gryphonreader
It sounds like Koreader didn't get launched properly, you could try the Kobolauncher icon (the Space Shuttle) and make sure that, that is working to include Coolreader, before doing step 9. That might establish whether the launching process itself is working properly with the new Aura.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to delete issue resolved

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-02-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Vandry
Vandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of lightVandry is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi everyone, i'm a new user. I bought a Kobo Aura yesterday and today i've tried this launcher.
All apps work perfectly (even Coolreader) exept for Koreader. This one freezes on the file manager: i can see the folders where i collect books, but i can't select them. It seems that touchscreen isn't recognized as input device; so the reset button is the only solution to exit (all physical buttons work)
Vandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandry View Post
Hi everyone, i'm a new user. I bought a Kobo Aura yesterday and today i've tried this launcher.
All apps work perfectly (even Coolreader) exept for Koreader. This one freezes on the file manager: i can see the folders where i collect books, but i can't select them. It seems that touchscreen isn't recognized as input device; so the reset button is the only solution to exit (all physical buttons work)
I have the same experience, cool reader works great but Koreader not so much, on the Aura. I don't think it is frozen though, as I can get the screen to respond, but it is blind luck as tapping in blank part of screen will bring up menu if you tap in just the right place, it seems like the screen resolution is not set right for the Aura but I have no idea which config file needs to be changed to adjust it.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I have the same experience, cool reader works great but Koreader not so much, on the Aura. I don't think it is frozen though, as I can get the screen to respond, but it is blind luck as tapping in blank part of screen will bring up menu if you tap in just the right place, it seems like the screen resolution is not set right for the Aura but I have no idea which config file needs to be changed to adjust it.
Hopefully all such observations will help get it working on the new Aura.

I will add another note to the first post.

@Jim; From your device list it looks like you have a Glo, a Mini, and an AuraHD; as well as a new Aura. Does the process described work on your other Kobos? Does Koreader also?

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
@Ken, works fine on the Mini (with FW 2.6.2). I would recommend a slight change to your instructions in step 11 and 12. For step 11 you say to copy the koreader folder from the zip and then step 12 says to go do step 7 again. I think step 11 should just say to copy the koreader folder and the koboroot.tgz file from the koreader zip to the .kobo folder, splitting this up in two steps is not needed from what I can see.
(one odd glitch seems to be that after installing koreader, the first time you select Library Menu it automatically opens koreader without selecting the koreader icon, but after that first time the Library menu works properly.)

As for my glo I have loaned it to someone so can't test it right now.

For my Aura HD I am using FW 3.0.0 with the patcher installed so for now at least I don't really have any interest in installing coolreader and koreader on it as my main interest in coolreader and koreader was to get full screen mode and I can do that with the 09 patcher. I don't really have any interest in the file manager method of opening books which is one of the other features that some people prefer over the kobo software. I have previously installed coolreader on the HD with no issues, but have never tried koreader on the HD before (but your own testing has koreader works fine on the HD).

Last edited by jiminrussell; 11-17-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added glitch on library menu on first run of koreader on the mini
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
Ken Maltby
Wizard

At one time I was going to include a note that all you needed to do, to install later builds, would be to do step 11. Also, the step 7 instructions include some reminders that I thought would still be helpful. We have had posters reporting success for all those, I was just looking for a little more assurance.

The big guns are hard at work on the Koreader startup issue, for the new Aura, and may also end up improving the framebuffer setup in the process.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-18-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
svda
Connoisseur
svda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipsesvda can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
Is there a possibility to get Moon+ reader working on kobo aura hd?
svda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #24
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by svda View Post
Is there a possibility to get Moon+ reader working on kobo aura hd?
Moon+ is available as an Android App and there are some efforts to make it so that Kobo devices can run under an early version of Android. Check out the postings in the "Developer's Corner".

Otherwise, someone would have to port the Linux version of the program to run on the Kobo Linux OS hardware. Just as Giorgio did for the Koreader project and Sergey did for CoolReader3.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Working on the new Mark5 hardware, the new "Aura" as of: koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2013.03-641-g0efa0dd.zip There are some fixes/improvements coming for the touchscreen multitouch gestures on the new "Aura", as well.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
Ken Maltby
Wizard

AuraHD owners should skip "koreader-kobo-nightly-20131126" and use "koreader-kobo-nightly-20131128" the 644 build has some issues for the AuraHD, the 656 build works on the AuraHD though. There are a number of major underlying technical issues being improved in the basic code of the project that will make things more consistent going forward but they may cause a little disruption for now. Or not if we are lucky. This will probably only effect those of us who try out most of the nightlies, as soon as they are released.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
a non techie question: would it be reasonable to expect that future frimware versions should NOT break koreader and coolreader (though maybe fmon may be brokn)?
I am getting a Mini for my mum, and tempted to add at least koreader for pdf, but worry about the effects of future firmware updates, as we live varous countries apart, so I would not be able to try and fix things for her.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Oop's

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-28-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
a non techie question: would it be reasonable to expect that future frimware versions should NOT break koreader and coolreader (though maybe fmon may be brokn)?
I am getting a Mini for my mum, and tempted to add at least koreader for pdf, but worry about the effects of future firmware updates, as we live varous countries apart, so I would not be able to try and fix things for her.
The real techies are over in the "Developer's Corner" you might get a much better answer in Giorgio's thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216960

I run Koreader with Nickel killed, so Koreader is not using any of that. There are some lower level functions that all the software make use of, but they are generally things that are unlikely to be messed with in a firmware update.

You might want to save a backup of the mnt\onboard directory, before sending it to her. If your mom can copy/merge folders she would be able to install the build that works after a firmware update, even if the update did cause an issue. You might have to talk her through the process though, but at least everything you would need can be sent via the internet.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
I agree with Ken. Just throw everything you need in on big Koboroot.tgz file and let her dump it in .kobo directory. You can't tweak, but you can roll out a new change if firmware demands.

Remember to put everything in the archive in a directory structure from the root. So .kobo files should go into mnt/onboard/.kobo .
Remember to make the file with the command tar and appropriate option in linux or at least test the file on your device before sending it. I found that only files made in linux (or a virtual machine of linux) worked for me.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote