Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 02:38 PM   #1
jonesyb
Enthusiast
jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.
 
Posts: 34
Karma: 82258
Join Date: May 2021
Device: kindle
What is your process for testing an eBook across multiple devices?

I only have a Kindle.

For testing eBooks I create I use Adobe Digital Editions, I test on my kindle, and also the kindle previewer on KDP.

What do you do?

Thank you
jonesyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,490
Karma: 72185627
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyb View Post
I only have a Kindle.

For testing eBooks I create I use Adobe Digital Editions, I test on my kindle, and also the kindle previewer on KDP.

What do you do?

Thank you
I use physical Kindle and Kobo ereaders plus various apps on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, iOs/iPadOS and Android. For the most part, I've come to expect little of the apps on Android since many of the authors have absolutely no respect for the epub standard.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:20 AM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,157
Karma: 12389826
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: none
Think about getting a kobo. As much as I dislike the kindle's crappy UI, I acknowledge that it does some formatting things better than the kobo. For example, the kobo doesn't do anything intelligent with font-family:monospace. I also had a problem on the kobo with tables, but I can't remember what was wrong.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:27 AM   #4
jonesyb
Enthusiast
jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.
 
Posts: 34
Karma: 82258
Join Date: May 2021
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I use physical Kindle and Kobo ereaders plus various apps on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, iOs/iPadOS and Android. For the most part, I've come to expect little of the apps on Android since many of the authors have absolutely no respect for the epub standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Think about getting a kobo. As much as I dislike the kindle's crappy UI, I acknowledge that it does some formatting things better than the kobo. For example, the kobo doesn't do anything intelligent with font-family:monospace. I also had a problem on the kobo with tables, but I can't remember what was wrong.

Good call on the Kobo recommendation! I will check those out. I would also like a new device for actual normal reading seeing as I am still using a Kindle 4.
jonesyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Quoth's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,379
Karma: 28235320
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ireland
Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyb View Post
For testing eBooks I create I use Adobe Digital Editions, I test on my kindle, and also the kindle previewer on KDP.
I'd not use any PC Adobe Software. The ADE built into an epub based ereader isn't the same as the PC version.

I first check TOC, page breaks/headings and links are all correct on Calibre Viewer.

Next I check on a Kobo ereader, in epub mode, never kepub.

I only check on apps (Aldiko Classic Android 4.x and Lithium for later Androids) on 4.3" phone, 6" phone and 10" tablet if there is a new style used resulting in a new CSS and maybe different HTML (like if I used a box outline or a table). I'd make a dual Mobi and test on DXG, both modes of KK3 and both modes of PW3 (default and Publisher).

Amazon KDP, Google and Smashword (Smashwords send onward to Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Scribd) get the same epub. I might test on the Sony PRS-350 and on the Likebook Mars (two apps) if there are new styles.
The dual mobi is also uploaded to Smashwords purely for their own sales to Kindles, as unlike Amazon they can't know what Kindle model someone has.

Amazon KDP works best with epub2 upload, which results in full feature typsetting KFX for those Kindles using it. The docx is next best but not as good results. Don't upload ANY Kindle format to Amazon. There are things sold on Amazon as "Kindle" that don't work on eink, they are for apps and/or the Fire tablet (really an Android tablet with an app). They need either Amazon tools to create, or a big publisher relationship who uses InDesign and has FTP access.

Smashwords use doc if you don't upload dual mobi and epub2 and it isn't converted well. Don't upload epub3 to Google or Smashwords as only some apps fully support it and most eink only partially supports it. An iOS/Android app is better for interactive, sound, video, animation, colour, precise image layout and maths/science.
Some content might need a 8" or larger PDF for fixed layout. I see no reason to do real ebooks with either fixed layout or multimedia-interactive. The ebook on eink is best at mainly text (fiction), perhaps with illustration, basically a simpler version of a paperback that works in 16 shades monochrome even if some images are true colour.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
jonesyb
Enthusiast
jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.
 
Posts: 34
Karma: 82258
Join Date: May 2021
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd not use any PC Adobe Software. The ADE built into an epub based ereader isn't the same as the PC version.

I first check TOC, page breaks/headings and links are all correct on Calibre Viewer.

Next I check on a Kobo ereader, in epub mode, never kepub.

I only check on apps (Aldiko Classic Android 4.x and Lithium for later Androids) on 4.3" phone, 6" phone and 10" tablet if there is a new style used resulting in a new CSS and maybe different HTML (like if I used a box outline or a table). I'd make a dual Mobi and test on DXG, both modes of KK3 and both modes of PW3 (default and Publisher).

Amazon KDP, Google and Smashword (Smashwords send onward to Apple, Barnes&Noble, Kobo, Scribd) get the same epub. I might test on the Sony PRS-350 and on the Likebook Mars (two apps) if there are new styles.
The dual mobi is also uploaded to Smashwords purely for their own sales to Kindles, as unlike Amazon they can't know what Kindle model someone has.

Amazon KDP works best with epub2 upload, which results in full feature typsetting KFX for those Kindles using it. The docx is next best but not as good results. Don't upload ANY Kindle format to Amazon. There are things sold on Amazon as "Kindle" that don't work on eink, they are for apps and/or the Fire tablet (really an Android tablet with an app). They need either Amazon tools to create, or a big publisher relationship who uses InDesign and has FTP access.

Smashwords use doc if you don't upload dual mobi and epub2 and it isn't converted well. Don't upload epub3 to Google or Smashwords as only some apps fully support it and most eink only partially supports it. An iOS/Android app is better for interactive, sound, video, animation, colour, precise image layout and maths/science.
Some content might need a 8" or larger PDF for fixed layout. I see no reason to do real ebooks with either fixed layout or multimedia-interactive. The ebook on eink is best at mainly text (fiction), perhaps with illustration, basically a simpler version of a paperback that works in 16 shades monochrome even if some images are true colour.
Thank you this is so awesome! Very useful for me
jonesyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
theducks's Avatar
 
Posts: 26,397
Karma: 41365369
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Central Coast of California
Device: Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Think about getting a kobo. As much as I dislike the kindle's crappy UI, I acknowledge that it does some formatting things better than the kobo. For example, the kobo doesn't do anything intelligent with font-family:monospace. I also had a problem on the kobo with tables, but I can't remember what was wrong.
What do you mean about 'intelligent'?
(assuming you do not embed an font alternate version )

I like a lot of things about my Aura2 and the UI, I just wish I had buttons that did not add $200 to the price.

I would like 2 additional 'sorts': 1) by hours left. 2)By percentage.
(FWIW I have a lot of book 'in progress' and read to suit my mood, so being able to pick a 'quick finisher'. or one that should see a few more chapters knocked out {dratted omnibus editions tat can take DAYS worht of reading time to reach the end]).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,157
Karma: 12389826
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What do you mean about 'intelligent'?
(assuming you do not embed an font alternate version )
It doesn't display a monospace font. I suppose you could consider ignoring it not necessarily unintelligent. In my css I've resorted to using font-family:monospace,sans-serif; so that I at least get a different face/style.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,490
Karma: 72185627
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
It doesn't display a monospace font. I suppose you could consider ignoring it not necessarily unintelligent. In my css I've resorted to using font-family:monospace,sans-serif; so that I at least get a different face/style.
For epubs, simply add a font with Courier as the first part of the name into the fonts folder and font-family: monospace will use that font. If you prefer a different font name, you can enable a patch in the Default ePub monospace font patch in the librmsdk patches to reflect that font name.

That's been the default behaviour in Kobo's firmware for quite a few revisions now.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,157
Karma: 12389826
Join Date: Nov 2019
Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For epubs, simply add a font with Courier as the first part of the name into the fonts folder and font-family: monospace will use that font. If you prefer a different font name, you can enable a patch in the Default ePub monospace font patch in the librmsdk patches to reflect that font name.

That's been the default behaviour in Kobo's firmware for quite a few revisions now.
Oh right; so when I distribute the book I need to include those instructions.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 63,631
Karma: 103414487
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyb View Post
Good call on the Kobo recommendation! I will check those out. I would also like a new device for actual normal reading seeing as I am still using a Kindle 4.
You also should get a newer Kindle for eBook testing. You cannot test eBooks using the current firmware with a K4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #12
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,940
Karma: 27903248
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia
Device: kindle
I only have a kindle. To avoid complications with other devices, the underlying document is a simple word-processing file with no "styles", and the conversion to html doesn't have a css either. My theory is that the less interference a reading device gets from elaborate styles in the book, the fewer the chances for conflicts and odd results. Typographic variations are restricted to size, and italics or bold, in a single font.

On the other hand, I also produce a quarterly car club magazine, in full colour, fancy drop caps, tricky layout and whatnot, but it appears only in printed and pdf form, which "fix" the content.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:42 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DNSB's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,490
Karma: 72185627
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Oh right; so when I distribute the book I need to include those instructions.
If you are planning on re-distribution, you would have to consider embedding a monospaced font. OTOH, most readers are unlikely to notice the lack of a monospaced font. And for my own use, yes, the workaround saves me having to embed fonts.

Speaking from experience with one book I edited where the author used Dark Courier and Inconsolata(?) for text conversations. The embedded fonts were not displayed in the Kindle format version and it took months before the first complaint that the spacing and indenting for text conversations wasn't enough. I was never certain why she wanted the person's name in a sans serif monospaced font while the text was in a slab serif monospaced font.

OTOH, her payment cleared so a good customer (I have a very basic standard of what constitutes a good customer).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:46 AM   #14
jonesyb
Enthusiast
jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.jonesyb can do the Funky Gibbon.
 
Posts: 34
Karma: 82258
Join Date: May 2021
Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You also should get a newer Kindle for eBook testing. You cannot test eBooks using the current firmware with a K4.
That's a good point. I plan to get one as soon as I can actually. Unfortunately I am in a country where they are not available. As soon as I am in the UK again I will pick one up
jonesyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #15
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Prestidigitweeze's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,384
Karma: 28996053
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Plains
Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
For example, the kobo doesn't do anything intelligent with font-family:monospace.
I briefly tried the KePub Output plugin for Calibre but disabled it immediately because of the monospace font butchery and the obscene handling of squeezed em dashes. I hadn't noticed concentration-destroying spacing issues before or since.

Other people seem to use that plugin without issue, so perhaps there are inherent conflicts with the formatting of certain books. I only know that all four of the books I converted with that specific plugin had the same distracting spacing.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-20-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Testing on different devices storax Workshop 2 11-19-2013 01:19 PM
Best programs and devices for testing angelFrog Workshop 3 09-04-2013 09:31 PM
Classic b&n ebook on multiple devices? hoosier Barnes & Noble NOOK 5 04-29-2010 05:41 PM
Question about the Sony ebook store, DRM, multiple devices *Angie* Sony Reader 6 10-13-2009 11:41 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.