Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
simoii
simoii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 SE
Unhappy Series order.

Hi everyone.

So i used calibre metadata plugboards to set my series book in order when transferring (Send to Main Memory) i used {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] }{title} (any format , any device). it worked before.

Series Name [01] Title
*UP TO 10 etc.
Series Name [10] Title
Series Name [11] Title

now, I tried it on a manga, downloaded the jpegs and converted it to KCC (Kindle Comic Converter). setting the folder names to "MangaTitle Volume 1 - Volume Name". After transferring it to my kindle the names are still the same "MangaTitle Volume 1 - Volume Name" and also the series order is like this

"MangaTitle Volume 10 - Volume Name"
"MangaTitle Volume 11 - Volume Name"
"MangaTitle Volume 1 - Volume Name"
"MangaTitle Volume 2 - Volume Name"
etc.
"MangaTitle Volume 9 - Volume Name"

did i do something wrong?

books before were in AZW3 format
mangas upon converting in KCC MOBI/AZW3 was selected.

KCC Version 5.6.1
Calibre Version 6.13.0 Kindle paperwhite 11th gen firmware version 5.15.1.1
simoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:40 PM   #2
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoii View Post
now, I tried it on a manga, downloaded the jpegs and converted it to KCC (Kindle Comic Converter). setting the folder names to "MangaTitle Volume 1 - Volume Name".
What do you mean by “setting the folder names”? Which folder names?

You are not supposed to do anything to the files inside Calibre's library folder. You don't touch those at all. If you want a copy you use Calibre's “Save to Disk” from the Calibre interface. You absolutely must not move files (or folders) around in there though, and that includes renaming them.

The way to get this to work is to ensure that the entries have correct metadata in Calibre and that your plugboard is still being used. If the title of one of your entries in Calibre is “MangaTitle Volume 1” then Calibre doesn't know that “Volume 1" is part of the series information – you need to make sure that the series column is set. And if the series column is set, your plugboard is also set, and the title has the volume information, then you'll see redundancy after transferring – something like “MangaTitle [01] – MangaTitle Volume 1 – VolumeName”. You would want the entry in Calibre to be just “VolumeName” for the title, and the series information to be “MangaTitle [1]” (which your plugboard will format with the leading zero).
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2023, 08:54 PM   #3
simoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
What do you mean by “setting the folder names”? Which folder names?

You are not supposed to do anything to the files inside Calibre's library folder. You don't touch those at all. If you want a copy you use Calibre's “Save to Disk” from the Calibre interface. You absolutely must not move files (or folders) around in there though, and that includes renaming them.
Thank you for your reply. what i meant by setting the folder names is that when downloading manga you first get the 1 jpeg file per page and then it needs to be in a folder to make it a volume which i named the volume to "MangaVolume 1" (just so i have a series of folders before converting them) Then dragging the volume folder to KCC (kindle comic converter) to make it to a .mobi/azw3 file.

i was just putting it there in case it's one of the reasons why it's not working.or because it came from KCC? idk.

and yes i put the series name in the metadata in calibre "series name" "1" etc.

it was working before with book series from epub converted to azw3. idk what i did but it's not working now.

so basically just adding the {series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] }{title} to the metadata plugboard and editing the metadata of the book series would make it work?
Old 03-08-2023, 09:00 PM   #4
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
OK, sounds like you're not doing the thing I was worried about. As long as the series column in Calibre has the right info, and you have your plugboard settings right, then it should work. You say the series info is right so I would double-check the plugboard. If that's still there too then I would check that it's still set to (any format, any device) like you said. And if that's all true but it's still not working… then I would be at a loss, sorry!
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:00 PM   #5
simoii

Anyway, is there a reason why the order is like this?

etc.

the metadata series is set, the plugboard is also set. maybe there's something i should check or do? or is the plugboard not working?
Advert
Old 03-08-2023, 09:02 PM   #6
simoii

maybe because the book names had " - " in it? maybe it screws up the plugboard? anyway i'll try it again later. thank you!
Old 03-09-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoii View Post
Anyway, is there a reason why the order is like this?

etc.

the metadata series is set, the plugboard is also set. maybe there's something i should check or do? or is the plugboard not working?
It is called Alpha Sorted (text). Each character has a digital representation in a file. This is code is a standard.
The sort is by position and ASCII weight.
If you want 1 before 10, you must pad with a leading 0 so all have the same length (01) (you could use a space, but that is really hard to see in lots of cases)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASCII snip.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	200217  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, manga, series order