Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-08-2023, 05:03 PM   #1
bj784
bj784 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Battery life on Kindle PW3 - is 4% per hour normal?

I've been using koreader almost exclusively on my kindle PW3 for several months now, and overall I've been very pleased. However I'm wondering about battery life.

For most of that time, I've seen about 4% per hour of battery usage in KO-Reader. But for a few weeks in January, suddenly my battery usage dropped to around 1.8% per hour! No change in usage, no settings changes. Mostly the same epub files as before, same usage patterns. Then my device rebooted, and usage has gone back up to 4% per hour. Again, no changes to settings or anything.

This all happened while I was running version 2022-11. (I think the battery life increase happened about the time I upgraded to 2022-11; I remember thinking it might have something to do with the touch rewrite mentioned in the release notes.) After the reboot and battery life went down again, I tried upgrading to 2023-01 to see if that would help: it didn't.

I'm curious if this battery usage is typical? Do most people see 4% per hour usage, in KO-Reader, on a kindle? Can anyone think of an explanation why my battery usage dropped so drastically for a few weeks? I'd like to understand why, and if possible it would be great to bring the battery usage back down.

I almost always run in airplane mode (always for the purposes of battery percentages). I stay in KOReader pretty much all the time.

My PW3 (7th gen) is running firmware 5.14.2, with KUAL e3deabf (2022-02-13), running USBNet. (Latest versions when I jailbroke last August or thereabouts)

Last edited by bj784; 02-08-2023 at 05:07 PM.
bj784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:50 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Kindles are weird and chatty creatures. Try to start in no framework mode and see if it helps?

(Sidebar: the battery gauge is generally unhelpful at being an accurate representation of power draw. Either check how much time you can actually read before it plain dies, or check the actual numbers with a USB meter).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2023, 10:15 AM   #3
ichnilatis
Groupie
ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I have the same "problem" in my Pocketbook Touch Lux 5. The battery drains very quickly.
ichnilatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Thats similar to what I’m seeing on my 2 year old Clara HD. 4% is > 20 hours of reading, which is consistent w/ Amazon’s claim of 6 weeks at 1/2 hr per day (6*7*.5 = 21).
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery drain, kindle, pw3