Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
Kindle for Android - displaying Personal Docs in Library

I can't get my Personal Docs to show up in my Kindle library any more.

I had to re-install Kindle for Android on my phone earlier today and I'm now running Kindle for Android (8.27.0.100); with the earlier version, my Library showed both books I'd bought from Amazon and also P/Docs. I could download and read either type.

With the new version, I can't get it to display my P/Docs. I've made sure tat "Show Personal Docs in Library" is checked in App settings, I've made sure my new send-to-kindle address matches what's in Amazon, I've Enabled personal archiving via the Amazon site, I've synced and synced again.

I get that the Kindle Cloud reader doesn't show P/Docs - so is this latest version of K4Android just now doing the same? It's just that on the Amazon site, it does say, " Personal Document Archiving - When this option is enabled, personal documents sent to your Send-to-Kindle e-mail address will also be added to your Kindle library." So I'd have thought that meant I could access the P/Docs via K4 Android.

Grateful for any thoughts.
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Works ok for me, and my app is set to auto update
There is a filter option near top left of app. Change it to include documents ,as it defaults to books
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Works ok for me, and my app is set to auto update
There is a filter option near top left of app. Change it to include documents ,as it defaults to books
Thanks for the suggestion. I would do, but it doesn't offer Docs as a option - Read / Unread; Books; Audible. That's it.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That version of the Kindle for Android app works fine for me. I see my books and personal documents.

I suggest that you sign out of the app and sign in again. That may reset it. Make sure you are signed into the correct account if you have more than one.

Also check the Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon's web site to make sure that the Docs show up under your account.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-12-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie W View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I would do, but it doesn't offer Docs as a option - Read / Unread; Books; Audible. That's it.
ok - lets go for a more detailed comparison of our apps

INFO: ABOUT: I see Kindle for android 8.27.0.100 (1.3.216092.0)

HOME: Library
I have 3 headings ( left) FILTER ( centre) ALL/DOWNLOADED , (right) SORT

under FILTER I have 6 items that I can tick or untick
prime reading
read
unread
books
samples
docs

some of my 6 have zero items but the full list of 6 is there always,. and if I toggle "All" to "Downloaded", its the same list of 6 categories

you ?

PS google play store info says varies by device, so maybe your phone gets some stripped down version ?
Updated
30 January 2020
Size
Varies with device
Installs
100,000,000+
Current Version
Varies with device
Requires Android
Varies with device

also, I don't see a category for Audible so where is your app sourced from?

Last edited by stumped; 02-12-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Advert
Old 02-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I suggest that you sign out of the app and sign in again. That may reset it. Make sure you are signed into the correct account if you have more than one.

Also check the Manage Your Content and Devices page on Amazon's web site to make sure that the Docs show up under your account.
Thanks - done & checked that. Sadly, no difference.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
under FILTER I have 6 items that I can tick or untick
prime reading
read
unread
books
samples
docs
Thanks for the suggestions - I have only Kindle Unlimited (don't have Prime Reading), then Read/Unread, then Books / Audible. No Samples, no Docs. I downloaded the app from Google Play Store, and yes, it MIGHT be stripped down for Android, but if so, that's happened between the last version and this one. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times too. Anyway, I have taken the ultimate step and emailed the help email. I'm not optimistic about the outcome.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

i do recall finding that the Kindle page background colour options only worked in the app on some devices - seemed to be linked to screen size
I cant think why they would want to suppress access to PDOC just because you are on a smaller screen though
ditto for samples. i wonder- if you download a free sample book extract to some other device, will it then show as available in your app.
you say you use play store, but maybe we are in different regions, though your app version matches mine, so that's clutching at straws.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:07 AM   #9
123iamking
123iamking began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
I got this problem and I managed to solve it, so I want to share it here for future reference.

Step 1: Register an Amazon account and login, otherwise there's no button to do anything.
Step 2: Use feature Send-To-Kindle, there's 2 methods to achieve this:
method #1: Send the eBook via email.
method #2: Use the share feature of the device to share the eBook (which stored on the device) to the Kindle app.
Step 3: After you successfully send the eBook to the Kindle app, find where that eBook stored in the Kindle App.
The location should be: Internal Storage > Android > data > com.amazon.kindle > files > kindle. Open this folder you should see the eBook you just "Send-To-Kindle" (e.g. AleppoCodex.mobi)
The purpose of "Send-To-Kindle" is for the Kindle App to create this location.
Step 4: Now you got the location, copy and paste all the eBooks you have to this location.
Step 5: Open Kindle app and refresh the app to make the eBooks you just copied appear in the Library. I had some problem to refresh the app: open, close, browse,... did all kinds of things to make the app know it got new eBooks in Library, after some attempts, I managed to make the eBooks appear - this step requires patient (and maybe luck).
Step 6: When the eBooks appear in the Library, you should be able to open the eBooks and read.
But in my case, I got some eBooks that I when I tap it but it won't open - and I managed to solve this problem too, if you're like me - can't open the eBooks you just copied - read on: I notice that these eBooks can't be open in Library-Section, but they can be opened in other section and once they're opened, they can be opened in Library-Section, so I use search feature to search these eBooks to make them appear in Search-Section - when they're in Search-Section, I can open them, after I successfully open them - they works normally now, which means they can be opened in Library-Section now - problem solved.
123iamking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Since it's Android the solution is to install a decent ereader and not be wasting electricity sending to Amazon, and don't be giving them copies.

It's misnamed, it's Send to Amazon Servers so you can download a copy.

None of these hoops need danced through using decent Android ereader apps and many integrate better with Calibre.

The Kindle app is only needed for ebooks bought direct from Amazon or for Amazon subscription "borrows". It's pointless for anything else.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote