Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Better Hyphenation

I've a third party hyphenation dicationary that I've put together that seems to work rather well on the H2O use firmware 3.12.0. It gives better hyphenation then the default hyphenation dictionary.

The default hyphenation dictionary can be edited to give better results by having the numbers from 5 to 2.

The third party hyphenation dictionary is US English.

Just download the attachment, unZip it to get the KoboRoot.tgz. Drop it in your .kobo directory in your Reader. After you eject the Reader, it will install the hyphenation dictionaries. This will work with firmware 3.11.0 and up.

I've added a Spanish hyphenation dictionary.

Update to add in a Hungarian hyphenation dictionary.

June 04, 2020 - Portuguese coming soon
July 04, 2020 - Updated the English hyphenation dictionary. It should work better with KePub and just as well with ePub.
October 02, 2020 - Added German hyphenation dictionary
September 14, 2022 - Added Spanish hyphenation dictionary
Attached Files
File Type: zip JSWolfHyphenFR.zip (9.0 KB, 961 views)
File Type: zip JSWolfHyphenHU.zip (226.9 KB, 838 views)
File Type: zip JSWolfHyphenUS-EN.zip (89.5 KB, 891 views)
File Type: zip JSWolfHyphenDE.zip (265.0 KB, 454 views)
File Type: zip JSWolfHyphenES.zip (2.9 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-14-2022 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added a Spanish hyphenation dictionary
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if we should start naming the zip files something OTHER than KoboRoot.zip? Maybe in this case, JSWolfHyphen.zip. Of course, the innards still will be the KoboRoot.tgz file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if we should start naming the zip files something OTHER than KoboRoot.zip? Maybe in this case, JSWolfHyphen.zip. Of course, the innards still will be the KoboRoot.tgz file.
I've changed the name of the ZIP file to make it easier to distinguish in case anyone else has a different hyphenation dictionary/dictionaries to post.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-05-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Thanks Jon The only reason I even mentioned it is that I, as a download keeper, tend to end up with tons of KoboRoot.zip, KoboRoot (1).zip etc files, and never ever know what any of them is
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Thanks Jon The only reason I even mentioned it is that I, as a download keeper, tend to end up with tons of KoboRoot.zip, KoboRoot (1).zip etc files, and never ever know what any of them is
Yes, it is a good idea to give them a proper name when making the ZIP. Thanks for that suggestion.
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
May I ask where this hyphenation dictionary comes from? If it's just Libre Office one, I won't bother.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
May I ask where this hyphenation dictionary comes from? If it's just Libre Office one, I won't bother.
Yes, it is some version of that hyphenation dictionary.

I'm also going to be posted a new version of the Adobe hyphenation dictionary as well that will give better results due to not needing such large words. I'll be posting that sometime this weekend.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
Teom@n
Enthusiast
Teom@n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra H2O
Is it possible to add another lang to hypendict?
Teom@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teom@n View Post
Is it possible to add another lang to hypendict?
Which language?
Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
Teom@n
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which language?
Turkish.

I found some files from another projects(libreoffice, etc.)
Old 12-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have better hyphenation (in fact I disable it completely), but here's a small hack that moves the files to USB storage (/.hyph/*.dic) so you can see and modify them directly (or rename them in order to disable).

Tested with my H2O using 3.12.0 firmware. Use at your own risk.

This hack is short lived; if you install custom hyphenDicts using a KoboRoot.tgz (or when another firmware update comes along), it will no longer be active and needs to be reinstalled. But you can always extract a hyphendict KoboRoot.tgz yourself and copy the dics to /.hyph/.

As for adding additional languages, you can add new hyph_*.dic files to /.hyph/ and then reinstall this hack (otherwise, the Kobo won't see the new file; it has to exist beforehand). And then hope the Kobo will actually use it.

EDIT: This hack moved here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266005

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-28-2016 at 04:56 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Turkish.

I found some files from another projects(libreoffice, etc.)
My guess is it might be possible to add in a Turkish hyphenation dictionary. But, you will need to have the file named like it would be in the language in the OPF. I don't know what the two letter designation for Turkish is. The English hyphenation dictionary is hyph_en.dic and you would just replace en with whatever the two letters are for Turkish.

If you can provide the two letters for Turkish and the dictionary file or a link to it, I'll make a new install file for you to try.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I don't have better hyphenation (in fact I disable it completely)
I don't find hyphenation to be a bother at all. In fact, it works rather well. And if you don't want it hyphenating as much, just change the numbers in the hyphenation dictionary to only hyphenate long words.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Teom@n
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is it might be possible to add in a Turkish hyphenation dictionary. But, you will need to have the file named like it would be in the language in the OPF. I don't know what the two letter designation for Turkish is. The English hyphenation dictionary is hyph_en.dic and you would just replace en with whatever the two letters are for Turkish.

If you can provide the two letters for Turkish and the dictionary file or a link to it, I'll make a new install file for you to try.

I think that The Turkish hyphenation dictionary should be hyph_tr.dic. Could you share me if you have "how to create hypenation" files or links? I have found some files but I don't know that could we use them?

And thanks for your interesting.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...hyphen-turkish
Attached Files
File Type: zip full.txt.zip (3.73 MB, 655 views)
File Type: zip tkhyph.zip (3.0 KB, 648 views)

Last edited by Teom@n; 12-16-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think that The Turkish hyphenation dictionary should be hyph_tr.dic. Could you share me if you have "how to create hypenation" files or links? I have found some files but I don't know that could we use them?

And thanks for your interesting.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...hyphen-turkish
I don't think those dictionaries will work. Can you find one for LibreOffice or OpenOffice?