Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2023, 10:25 PM   #1
CleanUnderwear
CleanUnderwear began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Post What's the best format to get the most features

I have a bunch of Non-DRM ebooks in a variety of formats. What's the best format to convert them to when I push them to my Kindle Paperwhite via USB / Calibre?

I want to support as many of the advanced features as I can on the Kindle, and I understand many of them are tied to the format of the book.

I want to:
  • View on Goodreads
  • Add to Goodreads Shelf
  • Use X-Ray
  • Vocabulary Builder
  • Page flip (when reading a book, swipe up to navigate page/page or see thumbnails of 9 pages at once)

Is there a preferred format to get the most features?

Thanks
CleanUnderwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Hopefully somebody else has better info, but I always assumed some (most?) of those features only worked with books that come directly from Amazon, not converted and side-loaded books.
jmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You can use calibre plugins to allow some of the functions such as WordDumb for WordWise/X-ray functionality but most are not available for sideloaded books.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:15 PM   #4
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Kfx is the best format for most of those features. No x Ray though. To convert to kfx search for plug-in in forum for caliber. Make sure books have asin or isbn.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
Kfx is the best format for most of those features. No x Ray though. To convert to kfx search for plug-in in forum for caliber. Make sure books have asin or isbn.
KFX conversion needs Amazon software on Windows. Maybe a mac version works. Not on Linux or related.
IMO it's inferior to azw3/KF8 because it's more opaque. AZW3/KF8 can be edited.

Also not all ebooks have an ASIN or ISBN, especially pd or ones you make yourself from a mix of web pages.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:25 AM   #6
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
KFX conversion needs Amazon software on Windows. Maybe a mac version works. Not on Linux or related.
IMO it's inferior to azw3/KF8 because it's more opaque. AZW3/KF8 can be edited.

Also not all ebooks have an ASIN or ISBN, especially pd or ones you make yourself from a mix of web pages.
yes but azw3 doesnt have page flip. at least not on android. i have tried. only kfx seemed to work for me with page flip. goodreads works with azw3 though. i also dont use xray.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:41 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
KFX (from Amazon) has DRM that you cannot remove.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:53 AM   #8
jonathan2022
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KFX (from Amazon) has DRM that you cannot remove.
I'm talking about the non drmed kfx files you get from converting to kfx. These are ebooks that have been dedrmed from other stores. If you want to use the above features you can use Howells kfx drm pluggin to convert any format to kfx (that has no drm) These are then copied via USB to kindle.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:52 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But only Amazon SW can produce a kfx. The Calibre plug-in isn't converting to KFX, it's just a shortcut method.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:55 PM   #10
escaner
escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Actually you can convert to kfx in Linux by installing the amazon kfx soft in wine. This is how I do it.

The result is far superior to awz3, with better text format, automatic word splitting and also allows the 9 page view that helps in visual awareness.
escaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 08:17 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaner View Post
Actually you can convert to kfx in Linux by installing the amazon kfx soft in wine. This is how I do it.
I got some Amazon SW to work for a while on WINE on Linux Mint 18. I'm on Mint 21.1 now. I've better things to do. Certainly the required Amazon SW doesn't work now on WINE and in any case Windows SW on WINE doesn't integrate with Calibre plugins on Linux. I have Word 2003 on WINE it doesn't integrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaner View Post
The result is far superior to awz3, with better text format, automatic word splitting and also allows the 9 page view that helps in visual awareness.
I never thought so in the years I had only a PW3, before I got a Kobo. KFX slightly different and s stretch to claim "far superior".
Then we stopped connecting to Amazon to get ebooks direct and downloaded AZW3 version. Missed nothing.

I do have legitimate XP (Image of a retired 2002 Laptop), Win7 and Win10 on VMs on Linux, but I don't use them now.

Now it's moot as all my ereading is on a Sage, or if travelling light a P47L (4.7″ eink).

Still check Mobi, AZW3 and KFX downloads from Amazon for any new format of epub2 uploaded to Amazon KDP. I gave away the 32G 3G gen2 Oasis as the DXG, KK3 and PW3 are sufficient to text what Amazon does to uploaded epub for publishing. None of the Amazon conversions/previews on Windows reliably do the same thing.

Quote:
and also allows the 9 page view that helps in visual awareness.
I think of limited value, as is the Kobo equivalent, especially reading fiction, which is what ebooks are best for.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-21-2023 at 08:20 AM.