Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2023, 07:07 PM   #3376
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Listening to some Don Winslow shorts (narrated by actor Ed Harris) while waiting for another credit to arrive.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:04 PM   #3377
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished The Evolutionary Void by Peter F Hamilton (24+ hours). Excellent end to this scifi trilogy. Narrated by John Lee. My next one will be short. Kiss and Kill by Ellery Queen. Just under 6 hours. Narrated by Mark Peckham whom I don't think I've heard before.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:35 PM   #3378
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've just started a re-read of Elizabeth George's A Great Deliverance, read by the inimitable Donada Peters, my all time favourite narrator. I'm reminded again of just how awful a fit Sharon Small is as the Barbara Havers character in the TV series. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the series, but nothing on earth can make Sharon Small into a doughy, drab person, and Havers is all of that. But I digress -- Ms. Peters, aka Nadia May and Wanda McCaddon -- does her usual superb job of narrating this book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:41 PM   #3379
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've just started a re-read of Elizabeth George's A Great Deliverance, read by the inimitable Donada Peters, my all time favourite narrator.
I'm also listening to Nadia May, narrating Felix Holt, the Radical by George Eliot. She's doing a wonderful job with it. And while not quite my absolute favorite, she's in the #2 spot.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:36 AM   #3380
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm also listening to Nadia May, narrating Felix Holt, the Radical by George Eliot. She's doing a wonderful job with it. And while not quite my absolute favorite, she's in the #2 spot.
Ah, she's my first love, and you never get over that first love. She and her business partner, David Case, were amongst my very first audio book narrators, back in the early days of Books on Tape. I had a 40 minute commute, each way. And I kept wanting it to be longer!

FWIW, even though one of the main characters in the Lynley series is seriously annoying in the early books, the overall language is at a somewhat higher reading level than some I've been reading lately and I'm quite enjoying this.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:46 AM   #3381
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, she's my first love, and you never get over that first love. She and her business partner, David Case, were amongst my very first audio book narrators, back in the early days of Books on Tape. I had a 40 minute commute, each way. And I kept wanting it to be longer!
I never got over my first love either, which was my very first audiobook. Simon Vance and Patrick O'Brian! But Case rounds out my top three of all time although regretfully I've run through the books in his library that appeal. It's been a while since I've listened to him.

Quote:
FWIW, even though one of the main characters in the Lynley series is seriously annoying in the early books, the overall language is at a somewhat higher reading level than some I've been reading lately and I'm quite enjoying this.
I read the Lynley books for a while, despite the occasional howler typical of Americans writing about the British aristocracy. But I did hit a wall and walked away. That's usual for me with almost any series, though; my interest runs out before the books do.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #3382
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have finally finished Alison Weir's Six Tudor Queens series about Henry VIII's wives, excellently narrated by Rosalyn Landor, and now I don't know what to read next--do I want to stay in the Tudor era or go to something completely different? I was thinking of Wolf Hall, but I hated the Kindle sample. Decisions, decisions!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:34 PM   #3383
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm listening to Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. It's #26 in the Discworld series. It's read by Stephen Briggs. He doed an excellnt job with the voices and the mannerisms.

It's better then the new audiobooks that have multiple cast reading.

The new audiobook is narrated by Sian Clifford, Bill Nighy, (reads the footnotes), and Peter Serafinowicz) stars as the voice of Death. Featuring a new theme tune composed by James Hannigan.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:51 PM   #3384
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I never got over my first love either, which was my very first audiobook. Simon Vance and Patrick O'Brian! But Case rounds out my top three of all time although regretfully I've run through the books in his library that appeal. It's been a while since I've listened to him.

I read the Lynley books for a while, despite the occasional howler typical of Americans writing about the British aristocracy. But I did hit a wall and walked away. That's usual for me with almost any series, though; my interest runs out before the books do.
The 5th Lynley book (For the Sake of Elena) is read by Simon Vance. Yech. His verbal mannerisms are driving me mad! Fortunately, this is the only one, after this it's back to Donada Peters/Wanda McCaddon. (This is strange, because I've never had much of an issue with Vance. Not David Case, but still quite good. But this book is just not working with him.)
Old 04-09-2023, 09:22 PM   #3385
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
The 5th Lynley book (For the Sake of Elena) is read by Simon Vance. Yech. His verbal mannerisms are driving me mad! Fortunately, this is the only one, after this it's back to Donada Peters/Wanda McCaddon. (This is strange, because I've never had much of an issue with Vance. Not David Case, but still quite good. But this book is just not working with him.)
I've abandoned books by all three because even though my pantheon, the fit was wrong. Even my current listen, Dombey and Son, I started with Frederick Davidson but switched after a couple of chapters to David Timson. Davidson was too modern sounding. Once, I regret to say and I can't remember the book, Nadia May's voice was too old.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:08 AM   #3386
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I've abandoned books by all three because even though my pantheon, the fit was wrong. Even my current listen, Dombey and Son, I started with Frederick Davidson but switched after a couple of chapters to David Timson. Davidson was too modern sounding. Once, I regret to say and I can't remember the book, Nadia May's voice was too old.
Yes, sometimes a good reader just isn't the _right_ reader. Most times I can struggle through, but there have been a few over the years that I've just abandoned and either switched readers (when that was possible), or switched to the eBook.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:31 PM   #3387
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm listening to Ten Low by Stark Holborn. "Space Western," comments and "Firefly meets..." comparisons were mentioned repeatedly in reviews and comments. And while that's not at all the vibe I get from the story, I'm still liking it well enough!

It's narrated by Nicol Zanzarella -- a complete unknown to me, but seems competent enough.

A traitor medic on a barren moon rescues a child general. They become frenemies in a mad dash to escape capture.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #3388
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm listening to Ten Low by Stark Holborn. "Space Western," comments and "Firefly meets..." comparisons were mentioned repeatedly in reviews and comments. And while that's not at all the vibe I get from the story, I'm still liking it well enough!
It ended strongly enough for me to consider moving on to the second book; Hel's Eight.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:01 PM   #3389
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

It's narrated by Nicol Zanzarella -- a complete unknown to me, but seems competent enough.

A traitor medic on a barren moon rescues a child general. They become frenemies in a mad dash to escape capture.
I was just looking for new book and one of my libraries has this, so I'll give it a try.
If "space medic" is appealing, have you tried "Star Corpman" by Ian Douglas? I recall liking that one.

Last edited by ApK; 04-12-2023 at 03:04 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:23 PM   #3390
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If "space medic" is appealing, have you tried "Star Corpman" by Ian Douglas? I recall liking that one.
I haven't. I'll take a peek, thanks!

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations