Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-10-2023, 05:24 AM   #1
gianni_1
Connoisseur
gianni_1 began at the beginning.

Device: tablet
Space in Comments

Hi, please can someone tell me how to reduce the space between rows in the "comments" field in "edit metadata individually"?
Thank you very much, Gianni
gianni_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
rows of what? text or buttons?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I modified the Preferences => Look & feel => Book details => Text styling by adding a p (paragraph entry) after the body entry.

Code:
p {
margin-top: 0px;
margin-bottom: 5px;
padding: 0px;
}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before_CSS.png
Views:	118
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	198926   Click image for larger version

Name:	details_before.png
Views:	113
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	198927   Click image for larger version

Name:	after_CSS.png
Views:	110
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	198928   Click image for larger version

Name:	details_after.png
Views:	114
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	198929  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:13 AM   #4
gianni_1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
rows of what? text or buttons?
If possible I would like to reduce the space between lines of text. regards
Old 01-11-2023, 03:19 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot control the rendering of text in the comments editor control. You can control how it is displayed in the book details panel, as described by DNSB
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #6
gianni_1
Connoisseur

Hello David,
I made the correction you recommend but besides continuing to keep the same space between the lines, the bold characters no longer work, do you have any advice?
thank you very much, bye,
Gianni
Old 02-01-2023, 12:11 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only thing that I can think of is that you made the changes in the wrong place or entered the wrong code. The code I supplied would only change the paragraph spacing and definitely would not affect bolding text.
  • Open preferences => Look & feel => Book details
  • Copy and paste the text in the code box in my original message into the Text styling box. I chose to paste it between two of the body entries.
  • Hit apply
  • Check a couple of book details to see if the paragraph spacing has been reduced.

You might also want to hit the Restore defaults buttons before trying again.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:00 AM   #8
gianni_1
Connoisseur

Hi David,
thanks for your reply.
This is the result after doing a reset and entering the code as in your example. I don't understand why, but as you can see nothing has changed.... Thank you again for your kindness. Gianni
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 before.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	199424   Click image for larger version

Name:	1bis before.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	199425   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 after.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	199426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2bis after.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	199427  
Old 02-03-2023, 06:18 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

My example was reducing the space between paragraphs while your example is trying to reduce the space between lines in a paragraph. You could try adding a line-height as in the code block below (and yes, I ended up using 0.9 to reduce the line height (see the attached images for the effect of adding the line-height). I also tried 0.75 but that made the text a bit tight for my preferences.

Code:
p {
margin-top: 0px;
margin-bottom: 5px;
padding: 0px;
line-height: 0.9;
}
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no_line-height.png
Views:	50
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	199445   Click image for larger version

Name:	line-height.png
Views:	52
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	199446   Click image for larger version

Name:	line-height_075.png
Views:	51
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	199447  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-03-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:23 AM   #10
gianni_1
Connoisseur

Hi David,
now it work fine!!!
May be you can also help me with the problem that I am no longer able to put bold characters in comments?
Many thanks!
bye, Gianni
Old 02-04-2023, 02:30 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianni_1 View Post
Hi David,
now it work fine!!!
May be you can also help me with the problem that I am no longer able to put bold characters in comments?
Many thanks!
bye, Gianni
I've never seen that issue so not much help with it. You might want to try manually bolding a line. In the metadata editor, in HTML source view, change <p style="line-height: 90%"> to <p style="line-height: 90%; font-weight: bold"> and see if that line shows as bolded when you return to the Normal view. If it still doesn't show as bold, you've hit the limit of my knowledge.

Code:
<p style="line-height: 90%">Colleague or Killer?</p>
Code:
<p style="line-height: 90%; font-weight: bold">Colleague or Killer?</p>
Old 02-05-2023, 01:34 AM   #12
gianni_1
Connoisseur

Hi David,
your last advice didn't work, but now I can define bold fonts simply after resetting all Preferences => Look & feel => Book details windows. Thank you very much for your patience and time.
Bye,
Gianni
Old 02-05-2023, 01:18 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Good to hear that you have your issues solved.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:38 AM   #14
gianni_1
Connoisseur

Hi,
after I upgraded Calibre to version 6.16, the lines I entered in Preferences => Look & feel => Book details disappeared and, if I re-enter them, they disappear every time, see fig.1 and fig.2. Can anyone tell me why?
Thanks and bye
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fig.1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	201271   Click image for larger version

Name:	fig.2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	201272  
Old 04-26-2023, 02:55 AM   #15
gianni_1
Connoisseur

Comments

HI,
I think I found the solution to the problem(s) of the comments. From the setting of fig.1 you get the result of fig.1_1, from fig.2 you get fig.2_2. I think you can also set the indent and anything else about the comments there.
bye, Gianni
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fig.1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	201286   Click image for larger version

Name:	fig.1_1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	201287   Click image for larger version

Name:	fig.2.jpg