Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2022, 12:41 AM   #46
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Well, after saying I wouldn’t be ordering this, I ordered it! I am being bought it for Christmas! I will miss having buttons, but may get one of those clicky page turners instead. I found out the invert white text on black background is still there as an option, and am hopeful that the screen will be glass fronted, not plastic, based on the fact that the rest of it looks to be using the same materials as the Oasis.

Not ordering the cover though, as don’t like the portrait only, top opening design. I'm a left-handed landscape person in a right-handed portrait world! I've seen a generic tablet folio case that I plan to use whenever I feel the need of having it propped up or protected.

I’m looking forward to being able to see maps, drawings and diagrams well in some of my books, e.g. pages from Leonardo da Vinci's notebooks.

I ordered the 32GB one with the premium pen. It is scheduled to arrive on release day, Nov 30th, and I have promised not to open it until Christmas Day. I'm excited!

Last edited by Pjama; 09-29-2022 at 12:44 AM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:29 AM   #47
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
No buttons, no deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Is there no market for a 10"+ eReader that is just an ereader?
Exactly! My dream would be a 13" 300 PPI ereader with a sunken screen and page turn buttons to be able to read comics, PDFs and use Androids parallel app functionality for language learning (book on one side, google translate on the other).

A 10" 300 PPI would also work - less screen estate, but more mobile.

The Kindle is too constricted an environment, though. I need at least a Kobo
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:35 AM   #48
Dodman
Enthusiast
Dodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad, Kobo Aura One
It says in the Scribe blurb on Amazon that:

You can import personal documents via Send to Kindle. You can write directly on the page in PDF documents. You can import and create handwritten sticky notes in Microsoft Word docs and web articles, with adjustable font sizes and layout. You can also create handwritten sticky notes in TXT, RTF, HTM, HTML, PNG, GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP and EPUB documents.

Does this mean the Scribe will allow ePubs to be imported and read, as I don’t see how else sticky notes could be created for them?
Dodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:41 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Is there no market for a 10"+ eReader that is just an ereader?
No, it's too big for real ebooks. The market is PDFs, marking up on PDFs and secondarily notes. There are fixed layout "so called Kindle ebooks" which are not ebooks and Amazon won't deliver them to eink Kindles. Maybe the Kindle Scribe will get them. Many are not colour.

I have 8" Sage and 10.3" Elipsa and 10.3" Remarkable (bought cheap S/H purely for old scanned books for the wife).
Stopped using the Elipsa for notes when I got the Sage. The Elipsa is only used for PDFs now, though handy to write on instruction manuals:
Kinds of PDFs:
Old Scanned books. Just read.
Data sheets. Might have a "scribbled" note added on the page.
Old Magazine scans: Tiring as print a bit small. Really needs larger.
Modern manuals for modern gear. Might have a "scribbled" note added on the page.

I've never much used highlighers on real paper except on some drafts and schematics. That needs colour. Inherently eink can't do colour sensibly, it would need a new technology. I'd need a 16" or larger colour LCD tablet with stylus for that. So I might print 2x A4 pages, tape together for a near A3 schematic and highlight/annotate the paper in colour.

I've used 4.3" phone to 10.3" eink and 8" seems sweet spot for ebooks at home and 5" Sony PRS-350 eink for really portable, or 6".
Buttons are a must for prolonged ebook reading.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-29-2022 at 06:43 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:19 AM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't care about buttons. Bluetooth page turning would be a big plus. I would only want to use it as an ereader.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:29 AM   #51
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For an ereader I find 8 inches the sweet spot I’ve never like reading on the larger iPads just too big and heavy
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:16 AM   #52
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I’m hoping maybe it could be used for puzzle books, that would be a big plus if I could have sudoku and crossword ebooks I could write on. We'll see. I like the size of my iPad for reading, but don’t like reading books on anything other than e-ink, so I think this should be nice. And it would be great if they managed to improve the appalling browser - would love to do my forum stuff (like this!) etc., on it. Ten years since the last large Kindle was released, I think!
I have a DX somewhere, it was nice to read on, although poor resolution, no light etc., so this should be wonderful.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #53
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Very likely a vanishingly small market. I suspect the many people would say that such a device would too big to travel well and too heavy to hold for an extended period.
My dream device is an 11" color eInk reader with physical page turn buttons and a page flip sllder.

This device is interesting. I'd like to try it out and see how it works for me.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:32 AM   #54
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I’m hoping maybe it could be used for puzzle books, that would be a big plus if I could have sudoku and crossword ebooks I could write on. We'll see. I like the size of my iPad for reading, but don’t like reading books on anything other than e-ink, so I think this should be nice. And it would be great if they managed to improve the appalling browser - would love to do my forum stuff (like this!) etc., on it. Ten years since the last large Kindle was released, I think!
I have a DX somewhere, it was nice to read on, although poor resolution, no light etc., so this should be wonderful.
Certainly my Kobo Elipsa and even the over hyped reMarkable both make the Kindle DXG look like junk. But even my 6.8" original Kobo Aura HD H2O made the DXG look like junk for PDFs. The DXG was one of the worst Gadget buys I ever made even though it was a sale price. I'd given up a PW3 to Wife to justify getting it. So next eReader was the H2O original.

You'd need to find DRM free sudoku and crosswords in PDF format. I'd guess many would work on the 8" Kobo Sage, especially sudoku as they are small booklets, and it's a lot pleasanter to hold than the 10.3" Elipsa, reMarkable or 10" LCD tablet. Too much bother to scan them.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-29-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #55
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Exactly! My dream would be a 13" 300 PPI ereader with a sunken screen and page turn buttons to be able to read comics, PDFs and use Androids parallel app functionality for language learning (book on one side, google translate on the other).

A 10" 300 PPI would also work - less screen estate, but more mobile.

The Kindle is too constricted an environment, though. I need at least a Kobo
The Kobo screen is not 300 PPI, sadly. I wonder how long before the other manufacturers catch up with a higher res screen.

The Kobos is $60.00 more expensive for a 227 PPI screen.

I'm curious if any of these readers have what I consider to be the holy grail of note takeing device. Can I print or write on the screen and have it convert it to editable text?

Back in the 90s, I used an Apple Newton. And in the newer versions of the device the handwriting recognition was actually really good. You would write your notes on the screen in print or cursive and it would replace it with editable text. You could even draw rough shapes, such as squares, circles and triangles and the Newton could replace it with perfect shapes.

Marking up a PDF is great and all. But I'd love full note taking experience as well.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #56
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I don't care about buttons. Bluetooth page turning would be a big plus. I would only want to use it as an ereader.
How would Bluetooth page turning work?
Old 09-29-2022, 09:01 AM   #57
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
The price seems very high to me compared to the competition, which allows, for example, more advice for PDF documents and the like.
Kindle Scrible + Stylet Premium 399,99€

433g is not exactly small when it comes to weight (Pocketbook X = 300g).

At least it will also support ePUB files :

Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Unprotected MOBI, Native PRC; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, EPUB

..I'm guessing that audiobooks and TTS will be limited to some countries again.
I would rather welcome a new version of the Kindle Oasis..

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-29-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #58
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
The Kobo screen is not 300 PPI, sadly. I wonder how long before the other manufacturers catch up with a higher res screen.

The Kobos is $60.00 more expensive for a 227 PPI screen.
It is also a slightly bigger screen. Having gone from 6.8 to 7 (before moving to 8), I know the difference a numerically small increase can make. Some users may find 227 adequate and prefer the larger screen. Since the Elipsa is also the only Kobo other than the base Nia not to have 300 ppi, an "Elipsa 2" with 300 ppi would seem like a fairly safe bet next year, imo
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #59
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It is also a slightly bigger screen. Having gone from 6.8 to 7 (before moving to 8), I know the difference a numerically small increase can make. Some users may find 227 adequate and prefer the larger screen. Since the Elipsa is also the only Kobo other than the base Nia not to have 300 ppi, an "Elipsa 2" with 300 ppi would seem like a fairly safe bet next year, imo
I wonder if the slightly larger screen is not avaiable in 300 PPI.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #60
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I wonder if the slightly larger screen is not avaiable in 300 PPI.

That's a possibility. The Carta 1200 was new(ish) when the Elipsa released in the middle of the pandemic-related supply disruptions so maybe Kobo went with what was available in order to get a jump on Amazon. Either way, would be customers now get to choose which matters most to them, a slight but noticeable increase in screen size or a slightly more noticeable increase in screen resolution
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote