Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Since there isn't much difference feature-wise, price becomes the deciding factor.
I don't know how else to say it than I have above. It's not just hardware, it's the entire system, features etc. These devices are by no means commodities.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #47
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Since there isn't much difference feature-wise, price becomes the deciding factor.
I can't speak for others, but I will pay for convenience, reliability and ease of use. I don't care if it's as ugly as crap. For my purposes right now, there's no competition for Apple gadgets. I don't plan to ever buy an Apple PC or laptop, but I've bought two iPads, an iPhone and a Touch in the past few months, because they're so easy to use and all the gadgets are compatible. If you can deliver products that are as convenient AND cheaper, I'll be there. But you have to deliver the whole package, including apps, reliability and ease of use.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't know how else to say it than I have above. It's not just hardware, it's the entire system, features etc. These devices are by no means commodities.
Apple for the win here. Android is amateur hour.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #49
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
If you can deliver products that are as convenient AND cheaper, I'll be there. But you have to deliver the whole package, including apps, reliability and ease of use.
Major Android tablet makers are shooting themselves in the head before they even deliver the goods. Tying these tablets to cell carriers with forced contracts and fees is epic fail right out of the gate. Are they insane?

Where are the sub-$500 WiFi only tablets? No way am I going to buy a tablet with a two-year contract and monthly data charges or pay an outrageously over-priced unsubsidized amount to side step the carrier.

Apple has nothing to fear in the tablet market. They clearly control it for the foreseeable future. Looks like I'm stuck with my netbook.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #50
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I figured that was you opinion/perspective. Time will tell.
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I figured that was you opinion/perspective. Time will tell.
The kicker is, I don't much like Apple and constantly criticize them.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #52
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The Streak is a phone that does almost everything quite well, a swiss army knife. A netbook is a cheap computer that does everything but at 1/3 the speed of my laptop. And, unlike the Streak, I still cannot take it everywhere.

So, if cost is a concern, I don't see a place for either a netbook or a tablet. Both are just slightly more convenient form factors that replicate (and not very well) the functions of a full fledged laptop. Unless you don't own any computer at all and can't afford a decent one, then a netbook does make sense.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #53
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apple is the king of marketing and doing well, but obviously Android will totally trounce them in market share over the next few years due to the large number of choices for different devices. And as Apple gets bigger, it makes sense for the telcos to balance their offerings with other products, or Apple will control them.

Android is a work in progress and always will be, but its functionality and tweakability is so far ahead of IOS that I really don't see a choice. My wife still has an iphone running IOS4, so I know it quite well. If someone is content with what Apple offers, then they will be happy with Apple products. They are simple to use and the walled garden keeps them running reasonably smooth over time. Upgrades are easier. Android offers more, but takes a little more effort.

However, if users want to do more with their devices, then Apple is not even on the menu. A lot of Apple users I encounter actually use very little of their phones' functionality, they just bought it because it is fashionable.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-23-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #54
kennyc

[QUOTE=HansTWN;1126696.... A lot of Apple users I encounter actually use very little of their phones' functionality, they just bought it because it is fashionable.[/QUOTE]

and that's a shame.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #55
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
and that's a shame.
It is a shame in the US, when you have those all-you-can-eat plans. But actually, those users are generally the happiest!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Apple is the king of marketing and doing well, but obviously Android will totally trounce them in market share over the next few years due to the large number of choices for different devices. And as Apple gets bigger, it makes sense for the telcos to balance their offerings with other products, or Apple will control them.
For cell phones, yeah. That's an area where Android is doing quite well. It's tablets I'm talking about. That's where they don't know what they're doing.

The problem is this mindset that tablets should be treated like cell phones and require contracts and mandated data plans. Why is that? Telcos need to stay out of the tablet market. They don't belong there.

Tablets should be treated like laptops and sold that way. No contracts and no mandated data plans.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #57
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
For cell phones, yeah. That's an area where Android is doing quite well. It's tablets I'm talking about. That's where they don't know what they're doing.

The problem is this mindset that tablets should be treated like cell phones and require contracts and mandated data plans. Why is that? Telcos need to stay out of the tablet market. They don't belong there.

Tablets should be treated like laptops and sold that way. No contracts and no mandated data plans.
You are right, and that is a US specific problem. People are too used to monthly payments and seem to just calculate the upfront cost. I have never bought a phone on contract, always SIM free, unlocked. Of course, you have to be willing to pay USD 6-700 for a good phone. Anyway, for me the Streak is still a phone. I put it in the front pocket of my jeans and I hold it up to my ear.

I agree with you, for a big tablet you should wait for Android 3.0. Otherwise, how will the apps look? I personally would go for a Windows 7 tablet, should I ever get one.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #58
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A lot of Apple users I encounter actually use very little of their phones' functionality, they just bought it because it is fashionable.
I know someone who uses only a few apps on his iPhone (I think it's two generations old), but it does just enough of what he needs. Hard to judge what people find useful and how they "should" value things.

I waited a long time to get a cell phone at all, then didn't keep it on for two years. I didn't even know the phone number. I planned to use it only if my car broke down. Was I getting my money's worth? Well, I thought I was, and that was good enough for me.

Then I waited a long time to get an iPhone and learned how well it suited my lifestyle -- on the go a lot, lots of travel. I ended up using it much more than I ever thought. One thing I love is going on spontaneous trips. With iPhone, I can drive across country and take shorter road trips using apps and Internet the whole way, instead of planning. The iPhone is the best device I've ever bought.

I finally switched from my 3G to a 4, because I need an unlocked one overseas. I'm glad I did. I didn't realize how much more I'd like the screen quality. I wish Apple made one the size of the Streak.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #59
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:

Totally agree. I'm overseas and paying about 20 bucks USD for unlimited data on iPad, and even less for the same on iPhone. I opted for no contract, or I'd pay even less. All phones are sold unlocked here. Competition is good.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #60
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Update to 2.1 = quantum leap

Had to see myself.
Descriptions in various forums are correct: With Android 1.6, Streak is "okay" at best. With 2.1 it significantly improves in all matters:
UI, speed, ease of use, ...
With the right OS, the screen size is quite interesting. I've got it in my jacket all the time, almost as mobile as iPhone. But of course it's way more fun to read on the bigger screen. Serious competition to my PocketBook 360 or Cybook Opus...
And I'll check out Samsung Galaxy as well. From 5" over 7" to iPads 9" it's all covered then...
As much as I enjoy my dedicated readers: Multi-purpose units, at least while traveling, simply are more convenient.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote