Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Android reader software

I just got a new phone today (HTC Hero). Are Aldiko and FBReader my only options for a reader for it? If so what do users recommend at this point? Any quirks or bugs one should be aware of?

TIA

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's also wordplayer which integrates both wirelessly and via USB cable with calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Welcome aboard! I also got myself a Hero only recently. Awesome toy, isn't it. The abundance of applications. I've just spent whole weekend downloading and installing new apps.

As to your question, so far I've tried only the FBreader, which I'm pretty satisfied with. Together with calibre they make a great duo. After conversion to epub with calibre the fbreader opens and displays the ebook pretty well. It does all I want from a reading software.

Last edited by Abelturd; 10-26-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks guys.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I would want to try that phone.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

AnemicOak, this Teleread article might interest you:
http://www.teleread.org/2009/10/27/w...pps-discussed/
Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There's also wordplayer which integrates both wirelessly and via USB cable with calibre
I have the Archos 5 Android and installed Word Player today. For the life of me, I can't get it to connect to my Calibre server. Any suggestions or a tutorial somewhere? I looked all over your Calibre site and could find anything to help. I also read the Calibre thread here on the forum and I didn't see anything that made any sense.

Thanks,

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there's an entry in the calibre FAQ under devices, if i remember right
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Ambrosia
Ambrosia began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I have the hero and its great. I recommend it to all Sprint users but if you have Verizon wait for the Dorid to come out. It has a bigger screen which will make reading on it much better. Now I'm about to install Word Player.
Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I just ordered a Samsung Moment from Sprint, and one of the first things I’m anticipating doing is getting a good reader on it. I’ve been using FBReader on my Nokia N800, and like it. But if there is a better choice I’m up for it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
remjax
remjax began at the beginning.

Device: toshiba E755,Zauru c1000
Coolreader ??

I wish someone with some programming knowledge would get the source for coolreader and make a version for "Android"?

Coolreader is a very nice Ebook reader with support for a number of formats!
remjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
Carl314
Enthusiast
Carl314 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Motorola Droid with Aldiko
Can anyone tell me how to highlight text using Word-Player? Nothing seems to work on my Motorola Droid.

Thanks, Carl.
Carl314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
emt
Nameless Being

Archos 5 Internet Tablet (Android)

I too have the A5IT and am using Fbreader 0.56. I have also used Aldiko, v. 1.12 - either works well and each has its pros and cons. Calibre doesn't detect either so I just download ePubs to a micro SD card and readthem into my A5IT I find it a pleasure. Either reader is freeware.

Outside of the short battery life (I get about eight hours), the device has HD 4.8" screen, large # of fonts, easy page turns and full color (images are very good).

Books are stored either internally or on SD card.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
andymiller
andymiller began at the beginning.

Device: iPaq, HTC EVO
I would really like to use WordPlayer with Calibre on my HTC Hero but I get an error trying to install WordPlayer:

Application not installed.
WordPlayer v3 could not be
installed on this phone.

Anyone else have a clue why this happens?

Thanks.
andymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymiller View Post
I would really like to use WordPlayer with Calibre on my HTC Hero but I get an error trying to install WordPlayer:

Application not installed.
WordPlayer v3 could not be
installed on this phone.

Anyone else have a clue why this happens?

Thanks.
Have you tried to download the apk of the app and after allowing installation of apps from external source to install it after this fashion (not via the Market app)?